Charlie Daniels Invites Montgomery Gentry To Join Grand Ole Opry
- Charlie Daniels surprised the Montgomery Gentry duo of Eddie Montgomery and Troy Gentry last night with an invitation to become the next members of the Grand Ole Opry. Official induction will take place June 23.
- The ACM Artist of the Decade tribute to George Strait is scheduled to air tonight on CBS.
- Country Universe: What are your thoughts on the role and treatments of tradition in today’s country music?
- Businessman Steve Phipps is scheduled to be sentenced this week after pleading guilty in 2007 to a federal conspiracy charge. Despite that guilty plea, Reba McEntire and dozens of other people are asking a federal judge to show leniency to Phipps.
McEntire, who grew up with Phipps in southeast Oklahoma, wrote that she and Phipps have been close friends since grade school and that his son is completing an internship with her Nashville-based company, Starstruck.
McEntire added that Phipps has kept her informed about members of their class or other people in the Kiowa community who have had medical or other problems.
- Country California is giving away an Aaron Watson concert prize pack, which includes pair of tickets to the California show of your choice and some swag. Comment with your favorite Watson song or song about Texas to enter.
- Nekesa Mumbi Moody has a brief Q&A with Taylor Swift about handling success and a reminder that Dateline NBC is devoting a special to her on Sunday.
- The 9513 commenter Rick gave a brief recap of Justin Townes Earle‘s show at McCabe’s Guitar Shop in Santa Monica over the weekend.
- After taking a week off, A.V. Club’s Nathan Rabin is back for a new column and a new subject (Hank Williams) in his Nashville or Bust series.
Part of Williams’ art lies in its apparent artlessness. His songs were so simple and catchy that it seemed like anyone could write them, except no one else did. Williams hooked into a series of primal themes—love, jealousy, heartbreak, despair, infidelity, the lure of the open road, the saintliness of mama—and invested them with passion, intensity, and furious conviction that burn even brighter today than they did in Williams’ brief lifespan.
- Sara Watkins joined World Cafe host David Dye for an interview and a few performances of songs from her self-titled solo debut.
- In the final installment of “The Making of Tellico,” Dehilia Low‘s Anya Hinkle shared her thoughts behind the process of mixing and mastering the album to getting the artwork just right.
- Country Weekly‘s Chris Neal turned in album reviews for The Amazing Rhythm Aces‘s Their Very Best, Wayne Hancock‘s Viper of Melody, and Eric Brace and Peter Cooper‘s You Don’t Have to Like Them Both.
- The Boot’s Beville Darden sat down with Jamey Johnson and Randy Houser at their favorite Nashville watering hole, Loser’s, for an extensive interview.
- Farce the Music and Country California partnered for a fake news story about Zac Brown Band‘s “Whatever It Is” being chosen for a STD awareness campaign and a rewriting of the song’s lyrics to become “Whateveritis.”
- You’ll never believe where Bob Lefsetz saw the future of the music industry.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.