Grammy Winners Announced; Stringdusters Plan April Album Release; New Music Videos
- Last night’s Grammy Awards results:
Best Country Album: Kacey Musgraves – Same Trailer Different Park
Best Country Song: Kacey Musgraves – “Merry Go Round” (Musgraves/Shane McAnally/Josh Osborne)
Best Country Solo Performance: Darius Rucker – “Wagon Wheel”
Best Country Duo/Group Performance: The Civil Wars – “From This Valley”
Best Blues Album: Ben Harper with Charlie Musselwhite – Get Up!
Best American Roots Song: Steve Martin and Edie Brickell – “Love Has Come for You”
Best Americana Album: Emmylou Harris and Rodney Crowell – Old Yellow Moon
Best Bluegrass Album: Del McCoury Band – The Streets of Baltimore
Best Folk Album: Guy Clark – My Favorite Picture of You
Best Regional Roots Music Album: Terrance Simien and The Zydeco Experience – Dockside Sessions
Best Recording Package: Sarah Dodds and Shauna Dodds, art directors for Long Night Moon (Reckless Kelly)
Kris Kristofferson, Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson, and Blake Shelton performed.
So did Hunter Hayes.
Keith Urban and Gary Clark, Jr. performed together.
- Watch the trailer for Moms’ Night Out, starring Trace Adkins. The movie comes out May 9.
- A raw demo of a Randy Travis singing an uncut “Childhood Sweethearts” has surfaced. It was recorded in 2011, years before his recent health problems. New photos of a recovering Travis have also popped up.
- Amy Ray of The Indigo Girls is the latest country crossover artist. She discusses her new album in this The Chicago Tribune feature.
- Carrie Underwood is the new face of makeup brand Almay.
- Peter Cooper does his usual beautiful job of storytelling in this profile of Jessi Alexander for The Tennessean.
- Blake Shelton and Luke Bryan are rumored to appear on a new Barbra Streisand duets album.
- Grand Ole Opry historian Byron Fay makes a case for the artists he thinks will be inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame this year.
- Jerrod Niemann will release new album High Noon on Sony Music Nashville March 25.
- Kenny Chesney filed a copyright infringement lawsuit against T&M Enterprises for selling goods with his logo on it.
- Add Aaron Lewis to the list of country singers disenchanted with the state of current country radio.
- Kenny Rogers received an honorary Master of Photography degree from the Professional Photographers of America.
- Flashy country music fashion designer Manuel got married.
- The Infamous Stringdusters will be releasing a new album called Let It Go on April 1.
- Aussies Lee Kernaghan and Sara Storer were the big winners at the 2014 CMAA Country Music Awards in Tamworth, while Ashleigh Dallas was named New Talent of the Year.
- C.M. Wilcox has a new Quotable Country column up over at Country California.
- CMT’s Craig Shelburne interviewed Jennifer Nettles about her new album and a potential Sugarland reunion.
- Darius Rucker performed “Miss You” on The Tonight Show late last week. You can watch the video here.
- Rawhide and Velvet premiered “Hard Row to Hoe,” a new song from Whiskey Myers.
- Ronnie Milsap reflects on Ray Charles in this short Country Weekly piece.
- Miranda Lambert’s MuttNation Foundation donated more than $250,000 total to animal shelters in all 50 states.
- Hunter Hayes performed “I Want Crazy” on The Ellen DeGeneres Show.
- The Josh Abbott Band is back in the recording studio.
- Jeff Bates is working on a Conway Twitty tribute album.
- Yahoo Music filmed an interview with Rosanne Cash about her new album, The River & The Thread.
- The Folsom Prison Museum is going to expand, as plans for the creation of the Big House Prison Museum have been approved. A bike trail named after Johnny Cash will be added to the museum grounds as well.
- CBS News interviewed Guy Clark about his Grammy nomination and battle with cancer. On being sick, he said, “I just don’t have time to be worried about it…Got songs to write, guitars to build — life is short, you better get started.”
- The saga of the Little Nashville Opry fire continues: opening arguments in the arson trial against former owner James Bowyer were held last week.
- Canadian country artist George Canyon is going to run for Parliament as a member of the Conservative Party.
- Demi Lovato has been writing a lot of country music as of late. Will she be the next crossover artist?
- Some new and new-ish music videos:
Lower 40 – “Call Me Crazy”
Lauren Wheatley – “Take You Back”
Seleen McAlister – “I Wanna Live Like That”
Roo Arcus – “Out on the Farm”
Kelleigh Bannen – “Famous”
Kip Moore – “Young Love”
Bruce Springsteen – “Just Like Fire Would”
Root Jack – “Dead Man’s Hand”
Luke Wade & No Civilians – “The Runaround”
SHEL – “Stained”
Randy Houser – “Goodnight Kiss”
Eric Church – “Give Me Back My Hometown”
Western Avenue – “Wherever You Are”
- Jeremy Dylan: I did a podcast on Joni Mitchell's BLUE album recently and was wondering if there was a good bio of …
- Leeann Ward: Well, that was a mighty unnecessarily flippant comment I just made there and the better angels of my nature make …
- Leeann Ward: As for me, I'd realize I'd written a crappy song if Luke Bryan ended up being the one who wanted …
- luckyoldsun: You say Marx is very gracious--again implying that he should feel aggrieved. Well, apparently, he DOESN'T feel aggrieved--He feels gratitude …
- Leeann Ward: I know that Marx seems to be very gracious about it and I also know that that's how the business …
- luckyoldsun: Leann, You put an unwarranted negative spin on Richard Marx's anecdote about Kenny Rogers and him. As Marx tells it, he was …
- luckyoldsun: "There's absolutely no question that Lauderdale and Marty Stuart—the other heir to the throne—have done more than any other musicians..." Hey, …
- Juli Thanki: Here you go: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LUCY7OM/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00LUCY7OM&linkCode=as2&tag=engin145-20&linkId=UBPOFJBCAIF6QK2X Thanks!
- Dave D.: If you add an Amazon link to Michael Jarrett’s book to the upcoming "This week’s album releases", you can count …
- Andrew L.: I'm not crazy about what I've heard from Heatherly's "Goats of the Kudzu" project, but all his other albums are …