Grammy Nominees Named; Ray Price in Final Stages of Cancer; Bluegrass Underground Announces Fourth Season Lineup
- The country/bluegrass/Americana/folk Grammy nominees are:
Best Country Solo Performance
“I Drive Your Truck” — Lee Brice
“I Want Crazy” — Hunter Hayes
“Mama’s Broken Heart” — Miranda Lambert
“Wagon Wheel” — Darius Rucker
“Mine Would Be You” — Blake Shelton
Best Country Duo/Group Performance
“From This Valley” — The Civil Wars
“Don’t Rush” — Kelly Clarkson featuring Vince Gill
“Your Side Of The Bed” — Little Big Town
“Highway Don’t Care” — Tim McGraw, Taylor Swift & Keith Urban
“You Can’t Make Old Friends” — Kenny Rogers with Dolly Parton
Best Country Song
“Begin Again” — Songwriter: Taylor Swift (Performer: Taylor Swift)
“I Drive Your Truck” – Songwriters: Jessi Alexander, Connie Harrington & Jimmy Yeary (Performer: Lee Brice)
“Mama’s Broken Heart” Songwriters: Brandy Clark, Shane McAnally & Kacey Musgraves Performer: Miranda Lambert)
“Merry Go ‘Round” Songwriters: Shane McAnally, Kacey Musgraves & Josh Osborne (Performer: Kacey Musgraves)
“Mine Would Be You” Songwriters: Jessi Alexander, Connie Harrington & Deric Ruttan (Performer: Blake Shelton)
Best Country Album
Night Train — Jason Aldean
Two Lanes Of Freedom — Tim McGraw
Same Trailer Different Park — Kacey Musgraves
Based On A True Story — Blake Shelton
Red — Taylor Swift
Best American Roots Song
“Build Me Up From Bones” — Sarah Jarosz
“Invisible” — Steve Earle
“Keep Your Dirty Lights On” — Tim O’Brien & Darrell Scott
“Love Has Come For You” — Edie Brickell & Steve Martin
“Shrimp Po-Boy, Dressed” — Allen Toussaint
Best Americana Album
Old Yellow Moon – Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell
Love Has Come For You – Steve Martin & Edie Brickell
Buddy and Jim – Buddy Miller and Jim Lauderdale
One True Vine – Mavis Staples
Songbook – Allen Toussaint
Best Bluegrass Album
It’s Just A Road – The Boxcars
Brothers Of The Highway – Dailey & Vincent
This World Oft Can Be – Della Mae
Three Chords and the Truth – James King
The Streets Of Baltimore – Del McCoury Band
Best Folk Album
My Favorite Picture Of You – Guy Clark
Sweetheart of the Sun – The Greencards
Build Me Up From Bones – Sarah Jarosz
The Ash & Clay – The Milk Carton Kids
They All Played For Us: Arhoolie Records 50th Anniversary Celebration – Various Artists
- Several sad reports say that Ray Price’s son posted on Facebook that his father is in the final stages of pancreatic cancer and has been readmitted back to the hospital; doctors don’t believe he’ll leave the Tyler, Texas facility this time.
- Garth Brooks is going on a world tour in 2014; no dates have been announced yet.
- Dolly Parton’s Blue Smoke will be released in Australia and New Zealand on January 31; it’ll hit the U.S. and Europe in May. (via press release)
- Last week’s The Sound of Music Live, starring Carrie Underwood, earned NBC its highest-rated Thursday night since the ER finale in 2009. But not everyone was impressed by her performance.
- Blackberry Smoke raised $30,000 for the Aflac Cancer Center of Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta.
- The judicious C.M. Wilcox has a brand new Quotable Country column up over at Country California.
- Justin Moore, LeAnn Rimes and Thomas Rhett were announced as additional performers for the American Country Awards airing on Fox tomorrow night at 8 p.m. EST.
- Lionel Richie would like to record a follow-up country album to last year’s Tuskegee, and Luke Bryan is first on his list of collaborators.
- Willie Nelson pulled out of a planned SeaWorld concert. From CNN: “I understand that there are some natural-habitat zoos out there, which is probably OK,” Nelson said. “But what they do at SeaWorld is not OK.”
- George Strait’s final concert, scheduled for June 7 in Arlington, Texas, sold out within hours of tickets going on sale.
- Jonathan Pappalardo listed his Top 10 Favorite Country Singles of 2013 at My Kind of Country. J.R. Journey listed out the year’s 10 Worst Country Songs for the same site.
- Clay Walker and the Military Warriors Support Foundation that he co-created gave Purple Heart recipient Timothy Medford a mortgage-free house on the Hallmark Channel program Home & Family.
- Chris Ferrell, the bar owner who shot and killed musician Wayne Mills, was arrested on charges of second degree murder.
- Craig Morgan celebrated his five year anniversary as a Grand Ole Opry member.
- Sketchers footwear hired Danielle Bradbery to be their next spokesperson.
- Sturgill Simpson, Jason Isbell and Brandy Clark lead Twang Nation’s Cream of the Crop list.
- Vocal problems for lead singer Zach Williams have made The Lone Bellow postpone some of their tour dates.
- Steep Canyon Rangers, Michael Martin Murphey, Jason Isbell, Davina & The Vagabonds, Lucinda Williams, Chip Taylor, Shovels & Rope, Dave Eggar with Amy Lee and Hammerstep, David Grisman Folk/Jazz Trio, Keller Williams with the Traveling McCourys, The Gibson Brothers and Hayes Carll will all be artists on Bluegrass Underground’s fourth season, which begins taping on March 7.
- Gary Trust interviewed Jamie Lynn Spears for Billboard. An excerpt: “I think people assume that the name Spears just makes record labels’ doors fly open (laughs). It may open some doors, but it’s quite the opposite in certain situations. People don’t want to put money and time into someone they think is just [looking] to take the easy road to success. And, I wouldn’t want to work with anyone who only worked with me just because of my last name instead of my music, anyway. I want to have people love my music first, and then love me.”
- Tracy Lawrence is giving away free downloads of “All Wrapped Up in Christmas” and “The Rock.”
- Charlie Daniels’ annual Charlie Daniels & Friends benefit concert for Christmas for Kids raised enough funds for 400 Nashville area children from 29 different schools to receive a day-long shopping excursion at a local Walmart.
- The Oak Ridge Boys have a live album called Boys Night Out coming out in February.
- Pretty Little Liars aactor Sasha Pieterse looks to follow co-star Lucy Hale into country music.
- Bob Dylan’s Stratocaster guitar (the one he played at the 1965 Newport Folk Festival) was auctioned off for nearly a million dollars.
- So much for this being the Year of the Woman in country music.
- On December 12, Terry and WSM 650 will host Julie Roberts on a live broadcast from the Station Inn.
- Pat Green has made his indie back-catalog available on iTunes for the first time. Dancehall Dreamer, George’s Bar, Here We Go and Carry On are all now available through the online music distributor.
- Nemecio Carmona, Ermant Franklin, AC Littlefield, Randall “Poodie” Locke, and Jesse Taylor were inducted into the Austin Music Memorial.
- Meet the Mulligan Brothers. No Depression’s The Southern Rambler calls their 2013 album “music (that) crosses borders between folk rock, Americana and country, giving (lead singer Ross) Newell the unhurried space to sing about escaping the miseries of life with a soul that isn’t worth much these days, a woman he loves who calls him by another man’s name, and pleading with God to bring tomorrow to wash away today.”
- New music videos from the past little while:
Kacey Musgraves – “Follow Your Arrow”
LeAnn Rimes and Rob Thomas – “Gasoline and Matches”
Kaylee Bell – “Little Bit Small Town”
Paul Costa – “Bad Boy”
Natalie Howard – “The Girlfriend”
Wes Mack – “Our Soundtrack”
Kelly Clarkson – “Underneath the Tree”
Lindi Ortega – “Tin Star”
Justin Moore – “Lettin’ the Night Roll”
Meghan Linsey – “Counting Stars”
Aoife O’Donovan — “Beekeeper”
Catherine Britt – “Who Cares”
Leah Daniels – “We Got Snow”
Becca Hess – “Christmas All the Time”
Mark McKinney – “Stolen Cash”
Doug Balmain – “I’ll Lay Down in the Rain”
Aaron Watson – “July in Cheyenne”
Jason Isbell – “Flying Over Water” (Live from Mountain Stage)
Kellie Pickler – “The Man with the Bag”
- Janice Brooks: Hopes somebody gets those memos about drinking songs. Meanwhile I'm feeling a lot of slots with Bluegrass.
- Leeann: Great news about Ricky Skaggs and Sharon White's duet album! Absolutely appalling about the Keith Urban concert!! Both the rape and …
- bob: I found the Billboard article about country music radio needing an alcohol intervention interesting. Songwriter Adam Wright is quoted as …
- Matt: Definitely agree with C.M. about Maddie & Tae. Certainly not the tidal wave of change some claimed it is or …
- Dave D.: Good stuff, as always. My copy of Producing Country arrived yesterday, and it looks to be as good as …
- Scooter: I agree Holly Williams can do no wrong in my eyes. Such a good album and great to see live …
- Carrie Mclaughlin: Your my Hero Mr. Jim Lauderdale!!! Come to Alaska Please? hehehehe
- Jeremy Dylan: You should check it out Dave D. It's from the first (and strongest) season.
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.