Grammy Nominees; Jack Cooke & Big Bill Lister Passed Away; Dixie Chick Lawsuit Dropped; CMA CEO Resigns
- Nominees for the 52nd Annual Grammy Awards in the country category are as follows:
- Best Female Country Vocal Performance
- “Dead Flowers” – Miranda Lambert
- “I Just Call You Mine” – Martina McBride
- “White Horse” – Taylor Swift
- “Just A Dream” – Carrie Underwood
- “Solitary Thinkin” – Lee Ann Womack
- Best Male Country Vocal Performance
- “All I Ask For Anymore” – Trace Adkins
- “People Are Crazy” – Billy Currington
- “High Cost Of Living” – Jamey Johnson
- “Living For The Night” – George Strait
- “Sweet Thing” – Keith Urban
- Best Country Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocals
- “Cowgirls Don’t Cry” – Brooks & Dunn
- “Chicken Fried” – Zac Brown Band
- “I Run To You” – Lady Antebellum
- “Here Comes Goodbye” – Rascal Flatts
- “It Happens” – Sugarland
- Best Country Collaboration With Vocals
- “Beautiful World” – Dierks Bentley & Patty Griffin
- “Down The Road” – Kenny Chesney & Mac McAnally
- “Start A Band” – Brad Paisley & Keith Urban
- “I Told You So” – Carrie Underwood & Randy Travis
- “Everything But Quits” – Lee Ann Womack & George Strait
- Best Country Instrumental Performance
- “Under The (Five) Wire” – Alison Brown
- “The Crystal Merchant” – The Greencards
- “Mansinneedof” – Sarah Jarosz
- “Producer’s Medley” – Steve Wariner
- Best Country Song
- “All I Ask For Anymore” – Casey Beathard & Tim James, songwriters (Trace Adkins)
- “High Cost Of Living” – Jamey Johnson & James Slater, songwriters (Jamey Johnson)
- “I Run To You” – Tom Douglas, Dave Haywood, Charles Kelley & Hillary Scott, songwriters (Lady Antebellum)
- “People Are Crazy” – Bobby Braddock & Troy Jones, songwriters (Billy Currington)
- “White Horse” – Liz Rose & Taylor Swift, songwriters (Taylor Swift)
- Best Country Album
And a few from the Americana Roots category include:
- Best Americana Album
- Together Through Life – Bob Dylan
- Electric Dirt – Levon Helm
- Willie And The Wheel – Willie Nelson & Asleep At The Wheel
- Wilco (The Album) – Wilco
- Little Honey – Lucinda Williams
- Best Bluegrass Album
- Jack Cooke, a longtime member of Ralph Stanley‘s band The Clinch Mountain Boys, passed away on Tuesday from a massive heart attack. From a press release:
His first professional job was playing with the Stanley Brothers while he was still in his teens. He left the Stanleys to join Bill Monroe’s Blue Grass Boys band, a post he held from 1956-1960. During that time, he recorded such songs with Monroe as “Gotta Travel On,” “Big Mon” and “Tomorrow I’ll Be Gone.”
Later, he formed his own group, Jack Cooke and the Virginia Mountain Boys, and played in bands headed by Earl Taylor and the Stonemans. He joined the Clinch Mountain Boys in 1970 and remained there until he was sidelined by health problems early this year.
- A defamation lawsuit filed against the Dixie Chicks by the stepfather, Terry Hobbs, of one of three 8-year-old boys killed in Arkansas 15 years ago was dismissed by a federal judge. Hobbs claimed Natalie Maines accused him of being involved in the boys’ deaths, but the judge said Hobbs couldn’t establish “actual malice.”
- Standing at 6’7″ Big Bill Lister was dubbed “Radio’s Tallest Singing Cowboy,” and when he died on Tuesday in San Antonio at the age of 86 he was the last of Hank Williams‘ Drifting Cowboys to go.
In 1988, Lister’s wife Lila found an old demo of Hank and the Cowboys singing “There’s a Tear In My Beer,” a recording no one knew existed. He gave the demo to Hank Williams Jr., who turned it into a #1 duet with his daddy. Hank Jr. ended up giving Lister a piece of the royalties and a gold record for his walls.
- Emily West‘s new single, “Blue Sky,” features Keith Urban. Listen on MySpace.
- Robert Earl Keen and Kris Kristofferson earned spots on Todd Snider‘s top 10 albums of 2009 list.
- CMT’s Chris Parton on Billy Joe Shaver‘s stage banter:
Honest, relatable and drop-dead funny, he’s the grizzled old wiseguy that everybody loves to have around — “Before I headed out on the road, my wife always used to say ‘Be careful!’ and ‘Have fun!’ Well, which one is it?!” — “Behind every great man there’s a woman saying ‘You can’t do that!'” — “We’re almost through here, and you got your money’s worth a long time ago.”
- Blake Shelton‘s next album, Hillbilly Bone, isn’t due until early next year, but on Dec. 22 the lead single and title track will be digitally released along with an iTunes-exclusive digital compilation of his best know songs titled The Essential.
- Tammy Genovese resigned from her position as the Country Music Association’s chief executive officer. She’s been with the organization 24 years and served in the top spot since taking over in 2006.
- That Nashville Sound listed ten songs you never heard in 2009.
- Currently starring in the successful film The Blind Side, it’s been announced that Tim McGraw will take on another movie roll, this time it’ll be alongside Gwyneth Paltrow in a film titled Love Don’t Let Me Down.
In “Love,” [Garrett] Hedlund plays a young rising singer-songwriter who becomes involved with a fallen country singer played by Paltrow. They embark on a career resurrection tour with her husband-manager (McGraw) and a beauty queen-turned-singer ([Leighton] Meester). Romantic entanglements and old demons threaten to derail them all.
The FNL Connection: McGraw and Hedlund play rivals in this upcoming film, but played father and son in the movie Friday Night Lights, and Meester looks like Minka Kelly who starred in the TV adaptation…
- Every Tuesday night Ray Wylie Hubbard hosts Roots and Branches, live from Tavern in the Gruene, where he’s joined by special Americana guests for songs and stories. Listen to a recent episode with Bruce Robison and The Trishas on the KNBT FM website.
- Country California: Who/what are some of your recent musical discoveries?
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …