Grammy Nominees Announced; Tim McGraw is Free From Curb; Court Yard Hounds Return to the Studio
- Grammy nominations were announced last night. Jim Lauderdale, Blake Shelton, Jason Aldean, Chris Thile, Michael Daves, Gillian Welch, Martina McBride, Eric Brace, Peter Cooper, and Alison Krauss & Union Station are just a few of the names up for awards. Check out the full list of nominees here.
- Tim McGraw is free from Curb Records, says a Nashville court.
- Blurt featured a piece on Americana singer-songwriter Lydia Loveless.
- Ken Tucker of NPR took a look at Buck Owens, pre-Capitol Records: For me, the high point of this collection is a song called “There Goes My Love.” Released on Pep Records to resounding indifference, “There Goes My Love” is a wonderfully simple yet emotionally complex song. A lamentation of regret for the one that got away, it’s Buck Owens glimpsing on the street the first girl he fell in love with. Rather than indulge in youthful arrogance and dismiss her as someone who doesn’t know what she missed, he spends the brief length of the song listing the specific things he misses most: the arms that held him tight, the lips he used to kiss goodnight. With a pedal-steel guitar keening behind him, his voice rises up to meet the challenge of the sadness he wants to convey.
- Noam Pikelny is the subject of a Jon Weisberger-penned feature for the Nashville Scene.
- Mindy McCready said she can’t comply with a judge’s order to return to Florida with her son because she’s pregnant with twins. Oh, Mindy.
- On December 13, Darius Rucker will perform at the fourth installment of the Grammy Artists Revealed series in New York.
- Go get yourself some free music from NoiseTrade and American Songwriter.
- On January 31, Rounder Records will release The Bill Monroe Collection from Tony Rice. The press release noted that this album is “a collection by one artist only, recorded over a period of some 15 years. The material, consisting of major songs and instrumentals by Monroe, was recorded in a variety of band configurations over these years, allowing guitarist Rice to make his own unmistakable mark on bluegrass music.”
- Faith Hill canceled her appearance on Christmas at Rockefeller Center.
- Peter Cooper’s newest Tennessean feature is on Dickey Lee, who wrote “She Thinks I Still Care.”
- Jello Biafra is a big Charlie Louvin fan.
- Alison Krauss & Union Station will be the closing act of next year’s MerleFest.
- The Academy of Country Music changed up their awards a bit: the New Artist of the Year award absorbs all newcomer categories including New Male Vocalist, New Female Vocalist, New Vocal Duo, New Vocal Group, New Solo Vocalist and New Vocal Duo or Group categories.
- Haven’t heard of The Alabama Shakes? You will.
- The Court Yard Hounds are recording new material for an album due out some time in 2012.
- Here’s Sugarland performing with Lady Gaga at last night’s Grammy nominations concert. Thoughts?
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.