Grammy Awards Recognize Americana Roots Music
- The Recording Academy announced that it has changed the name of the Grammy Awards “Folk Field” to the “American Roots Music Field,” which will include the Best Traditional Blues Album, Best Contemporary Blues Album and Best Bluegrass Album categories. (via Music Fog)
- Lee Ann Womack replaced Julianne Hough (out with laryingitis) as the opening act on Saturday night for the debut concert at the new Dallas Cowboys Stadium. She was followed by Blake Shelton, Reba McEntire and headliner George Strait, who McEntire noted she had not shared a stage with since opening for Conway Twitty.
- Peter Cooper compares Alan Jackson to Taylor Swift and Loretta Lynn in a profile of the songwriter’s career. Jackson celebrates his 20th anniversary with Arista Records this month.
- Kenny Chesney is scheduled to close this year’s CMA Music Fest.
- Despite tighter profit margins, Dierks Bentley and Keith Urban, among other artists, feel it’s important to tour abroad for long-term success.
Cash, Campbell, Parton, Pride, the Bellamy Brothers, Don Williams and others who regularly toured internationally in their heydays continued selling records and concert tickets abroad long after their hot streaks ended in the U.S.
- Rounder Records will release a new James Hand record, Shadow in the Ground, on September 8.
- James Sullivan published a brief profile on the life, and tragic ending, of Opry regular and Hee Haw banjo picker David “Stringbean” Akeman.
- The first two acts signed to the new Republic Nashville label are Sunny Sweeney and a new duo called Fast Ryde.
- The Washington Post‘s David Malitz says Todd Snider‘s punchlines at the Birchmere on Friday night were likely funnier than the ones you’d hear at the local stand-up club, especially during the centerpiece of the set: “an extended, side-splitting monologue about Snider’s high school years and how he transitioned from a football-playing jock to a pot-smoking burnout.”
- Watch Eric Brace and Last Train Home with Peter Cooper perform “My Sally.”
- mrsandy: Also worth noting: Priscilla Mitchell was Jerry Reed's widow.
- Leeann Ward: Wow! My heart goes out to Allison Moorer. She's had so many terrible things happen in her life. It's too …
- Leeann Ward: I must have this audio book!
- Juli Thanki: Ha! Same thing happened at Sturgill Simpson's show I went to last month, only he was singing "I Never Go …
- Dave D.: On the topic of Lee Ann and dark songs, the funniest moment at this year's Americana Fest was during her …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: I love Lori McKenna. Coming from Massachusetts, she's our local girl. I've been fortunate to see her in concert a …
- bll: I suss her re-recording her hits for 'Gwendolen records' means she can stop MCA from releasing her hits against her.
- Greg Judy: Cooler festivals and marching bands at the football games!
- kevin ilinger: Fall colors bluegrass and apple cider
- luckyoldsun: If I was a "long-time fan" of Trisha, I'd probably spring for the CD.