Gord Bamford & Johnny Reid Lead CCMA Awards; Brad Pitt To Play Jerry Lee Lewis; Preview Loretta’s Tribute
- With four trophies apiece, Gord Bamford (MySpace) and Johnny Reid (MySpace) left Sunday night’s male-dominated Canadian Country Music Awards the big winners. Outside of the main categories, female duo One More Girl (MySpace) was named rising star of the year, pulling in one of the few wins for the women, while perennial favorite Corb Lund (MySpace) won roots artist/group of the year for the seventh year in a row. The Globe and Mail’s Dean Bennett recapped the event and posted a list of winners.
- The 1990 Garth Brooks hit “Unanswered Prayers” is being transformed into a two-hour Lifetime TV movie.
The film centers on a man (Eric Close) happily married to his wife (Samantha Mathis) but who must make a tough choice when his high school crush (Madchen Amick) comes to town. “Unanswered Prayers” will premiere in November.
- Taylor Swift performed a song about Kanye West last night at the VMAs. Video here.
- Bob Lefsetz really, and I mean really, digs the song “Heartache” from Jamey Johnson‘s double album The Guitar Song.
- Jamey Johnson isn’t too concerned with his own press:
“It’s not that I don’t care what other people think, it’s that I don’t have time for that many opinions,” he said. “I’m not going to go into the studio after a bad review and see if I can make that guy happy. I’m not going to waste a minute of my life trying. That’s like trying to set the air conditioning at the family reunion: Somebody’s always gonna be (upset). Well, I hope you get over it, know what I mean?”
- Justin Townes Earle‘s new album Harlem River Blues is available a day early on Amazon for $2.99.
- On Oct. 26, Concord Records will release a Ray Charles album titled Rare Genius: The Undiscovered Masters, which includes the Hank Cochran song “A Little Bitty Tear” and an unreleased duet with Johnny Cash on the Kris Kristofferson song “Why Me, Lord?”
- Two Jerry Lee Lewises playing the same piano.
- Watch the official trailer for Country Strong, the movie starring Gwyneth Paltrow as a down-on-her-luck country singer and Tim McGraw as her manager/husband.
- NPR posted the full audio (nearly three hours) from last week’s Americana Music Awards, which included performances from The Buddy Miller All-Stars, Sarah Jarosz, Rosanne Cash, and many, many others.
- The Boot: Hottest Women Over 40 in Country Music
- Farce the Music charted the most egregious trends in country music.
- Joey+Rory stopped by The Early Show on Saturday Morning‘s “Second Cup Cafe” to perform a couple of songs. Watch their performance of “This Song’s For You” and a backstage interview on the show’s website.
- Plans are in the works for a Jerry Lee Lewis biopic starring Brad Pitt. It’s unclear when shooting will begin, but reports have Natalie Portman playing the role of Lewis’ teenage bride.
- Several Canadian country singers, including Terri Clark and Doc Walker, are teaming up to record a charity single dedicated to soldiers killed in the line of duty. The song, “Standing Strong and True for Tomorrow,” will be released ahead of Remembrance Day in November.
- A new Aaron Watson album, The Road & The Rodeo, is slated for an Oct. 12 release. (@aaron_watson)
- The Zac Brown Band song “Keep Me In Mind” is available as a free download on Amazon.
- George Strait‘s performance at Nashville’s Bridgestone Arena on Saturday was similar to most other George Strait performances: “few surprises and lots of hits.” The Tennessean‘s Cindy Watts covered the show, which also included sets from Reba McEntire and Lee Ann Womack.
Billboard.com has an exclusive preview of “Coal Miner’s Daughter” from the forthcoming Loretta Lynn tribute album. The song features vocals from Lynn, Miranda Lambert, and Sheryl Crow.
- Whose hair? Click the image to find out.
- Leeann Ward: Interesting! I just got an email from Amozon saying that they cancelled my preorder of Jamey Johnson's Christmas album due …
- luckyoldsun: Jim Z-- I get the feeling Barry was this close to calling you what Kinky Friedman called his guy from El …
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …