Glen Campbell Preps Final Album; Billy Ray Cyrus Takes Issue with ‘Hannah Montana'; Willie Opens New Austin City Limits Theater
- Glen Campbell has plans to release his final studio album this summer, which will be supported by a farewell tour.
- Billy Ray Cyrus is scared for Miley, and blames Hannah Montana for destroying his family.
- Whitney Duncan released a four-song EP last week titled Young In America. (iTunes)
- Willie Nelson formally christened the new Austin City Limits Live at The Moody Theater on Sunday:
What followed the delayed “Whiskey River” opener was an hour and a half whirlwind of nearly every great song Willie has written or borrowed from the likes of Hank, Ray, Billy Joe, Waylon and Kris. He turned furious on Trigger at times, strumming harder than players a third his age and proving once again that it’s not just his voice that matters.
- The new Brad Paisley album, This Is Country Music, is scheduled for release May 24.
- The Band Perry reached gold status for its self-titled debut.
- Ninebullets.net is spotlighting an album from Adam Lee & The Dead Horse Sound Company titled When the Spirits Move Me.
- Willie Nelson, Norah Jones and Wynton Marsalis joined up for a couple of concerts in 2009 and paid tribute to the music of Ray Charles. On March 29, a selection of recordings from those performances will be released as an album titled Here We Go Again: Celebrating the Genius of Ray Charles.
- On March 7, Kenny Rogers will release a new gospel record, The Love of God, through Cracker Barrel, making him the first artist to release a second album with the restaurant.
- Here’s a new video from Trampled By Turtles for their song “Victory.”
- Jeff Miller: Yeah, the first time I played Jimmie Rodgers for my wife & daughter- they were aghast that he was singing …
- David Cantwell: I think it more helpful to think of Americana not as a genre but as a format--and, perhaps better, and …
- Juli Thanki: That would definitely be better than Marvel's hilariously terrible Billy Ray Cyrus comic book, released in 1995. http://4thletter.net/2009/02/billy-ray-cyrus-the-marvel-comic-book-yes-really/
- Applejack: "I’m sure there are many ways to lasso in and constrict any genre or format, any of them, so tightly …
- Emily: Wow!! Fabulous! Love those boots and you all look stunning! xo
- Leeann Ward: Bangor is named somewhat commonly in country songs. It's usually their example of the most north you can go: Vince …
- bob: Portland West was almost Boston West. From Names on the Land by George Stewart: "When more people arrived in Oregon, Amos …
- Jack Williams: There's "Eight More Miles To Louisville", where Portland is referred to as Portland East.
- nm: Of course, Bangor is also mentioned in "I've Been Everywhere."
- Stuart Munro: As if that's what this discussion is doing, Barry. I'm for the online commenters thinking about and discussing the music …