Georgia Anti-Dogfighting Ad To Feature Willie Nelson
- Sissy Spacek and Reese Witherspoon land on EW.com’s list of favorite singing actors for their respective roles as Loretta Lynn and June Carter Cash. Spacek portrayed Loretta in the 1980 biopic Coal Miner’s Daughter and Witherspoon played June in Walk the Line.
- In his description of Miranda Lambert and her music Chris Gray writes “…live is where she really shines, stoking the literal flames of 2005 breakthrough “Kerosene” with the flinty rocker energy of Lynyrd Skynyrd or John Mellencamp, while saving room for remorseful honky-tonk ballads like Ex-Girlfriend’s “Guilty in Here.”
- Willie Nelson will appear in an anti-dogfighting television ad in Georgia about the time Michael Vick’s sentencing gets handed down. Dog fighting is against the law in Georgia, but is currently too weak to deter perpetrators.
- Q&A with Janet Reno on her role as executive producer on Song of America.
Q: You could have just gotten archival recordings of these songs. What made you want to give them a new interpretation?
A: That was Ed’s doing with his other colleagues who contributed so significantly to this project. They wanted something that represented a real sense of the song and what is involved. We found, for example, a new version of Dixie could illuminate the fact that you’ve got to have Dixie as part of a project like this if you’re going to tell the history of America because that is one of the essential pieces of our history — one that we’re not proud of. But at the same time, we have an opportunity to find out how Dixie came about .
- The inspiration for the title to Kim Richey’s latest album, Chinese Boxes, came from a James Bond novel. (On a sidenote: the audio files on the NPR redesign load significantly faster than before. Very nice.)
- Anybody catch the Dan Rather interview with Willie Nelson last night? If so, were there any super interesting topics covered that we need to know about?
- When David Moore decided to go to college for voice his father, Bubba, decided to pursue his own musical passion by taking a pay cut from his industrial job to join Tracy Byrd on tour. Bubba ended up playing for Byrd from 1993 to 2005 and is considering going to Iraq with Neal McCoy in January while his son David is a world-class, freelance opera singer. They both had a musically rich history to lean on since their Texas music family goes back three generations before Bubba.
- Check out the list of box-sets released this year. Scroll down to the country section–which saw releases from Emmylou Harris and Merle Haggard. The Houston Chronicle has a brief review of each as well.
- According to Matthew Fiander, 1973’s Hag’s Christmas contains too many sad tracks to get you in the spirit for the holidays.
- Aaron Watson and Lone Star Tunes have partnered up to give away 14 songs from his previous 5 albums for free. I probably would have picked different songs for the compilation, but I think it’s a great way to introduce a new audience to your music and you can’t beat free.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.