George Strait’s Next Album Drops May 14; Country Music Hall of Fame & Museum to Celebrate Dottie West; New Music Videos
- George Strait’s next album, Love is Everything, will be released May 14.
- Della Mae’s This World Oft Can Be will be released May 28 on Rounder Records. (via press release)
- The Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum is celebrating Dottie West this spring with multiple programs, including a film screening of Dottie West: Special Delivery and a panel discussion called Country Session: Remembering Dottie West featuring Steve Wariner, Jeannie Seely, Red Lane, and Shelly West. More information can be found here.
- The Tennessean previewed Bela Fleck and keyboardist Chick Corea’s upcoming concert at Nashville’s Schermerhorn Symphony Center.
- There’s a fantastic feature on Kacey Musgraves in The New York Times. Musgraves was also on NPR’s All Things Considered and featured on The 615.
- Check out Billboard’s cover story on The Band Perry.
- Ben Foster interviewed Tracy Lawrence about his upcoming album, Headlights, Taillights and Rodeos.
- Radio.com posted a video interview with Hunter Hayes.
- Wynonna Judd ships a new single to radio today called “Something You Can’t Live Without.” It’s co-written by her husband Cactus Moser and David Lee Murphy.
- Love & Theft covered Nitty Gritty Dirt Band’s “Fishin’ in the Dark” for Yahoo’s Ram Country.
- April Verch Band’s next record, Bright Like Gold, drops April 2. Guests include Mac Wiseman, Bruce Molsky, and Sammy Shelor. (via email)
- Music City Roots announced its spring lineup.
- Chris Parton of CMT Edge takes a look back at Chris Knight’s “Framed.”
- Chely Wright and her partner are expecting twin boys this summer.
- The Grand Ole Opry and the National Women’s Survivors Convention will celebrate women cancer survivors August 24, when participants from the Nashville-based National Women’s Survivors Convention attend the evening’s Opry performance. The Opry will recognize the women throughout the evening with special performances and “survivor messages.”
- On April 30, Real Gone Music will release the Eddy Arnold compilation Complete Original #1 Hits and David Allan Coe’s Texas Moon. (via press release)
- Gloriana will perform “Can’t Shake You” on Hart of Dixie May 7.
- Brian T. Atkinson interviewed Jay Farrar (Son Volt) about the band’s new record, Honky Tonk.
- British banjo player Dan Walsh brought his five-string to India as part of a program to “create new musical fusions and at the risk of sounding too grandiose, perhaps bridge cultural divisions.” Read Walsh’s account of his trip here.
- Here’s an NPR piece on Arhoolie Records.
- The UNC Southern Folklife Collection posted a photo of Patsy Montana to their blog. The photo is part of the SFC’s “Visualizing American Roots Music” exhibit.
- The Nashville music industry is shifting away from Music Row, writes Jaquetta White of the Tennessean.
- C.M. Wilcox posted a new Quotable Country.
- Shovels & Rope’s “Birmingham” is the American Songwriter Lyric of the Week.
- Stream Josh Rouse’s new album, The Happiness Waltz, here.
- Ricky Skaggs will headline the inaugural Bluegrass on the Mountain Festival in Bell County, Kentucky this May.
- Henry Wagons interviewed Jeff Tweedy for FasterLouder.com.
- Genre-blending band Jeremy Porter & The Tucos are featured on WesternHerald.com.
- New music videos from the past week or so:
Austin Webb – “It’s All Good”
Mark Cooke – “Stay With Me Tonight”
SaraBeth – “Kickin’ and Screamin’”
JB and the Moonshine Band – “The Only Drug”
Taylor Swift – “22”
Chris King – “Still Haven’t Said” (Couch by Couchwest)
Gretchen Peters & Ben Glover – “Return of the Grievous Angel” (CXCW)
Rachel Brooke – “Farther Along” (CXCW)
Bonnie Whitmore – “Borderline” (CXCW)
Mustered Courage – “Cruel Alibis”
David Mayfield Parade – “Human Cannonball”
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.