George Strait Wins EOTY; Band of Heathens Offer Free Album Download; Clyde Stacy Killed in Car Accident
- Last night’s CMA Award winners:
Musical Event of the Year: “Highway Don’t Care,” Tim McGraw with Taylor Swift and Keith Urban
Video of the Year: “Highway Don’t Care,” Tim McGraw with Taylor Swift and Keith Urban. Directed by Shane Drake
Single of the Year: “Cruise,” Florida Georgia Line
Song of the Year: “I Drive Your Truck,” written by Jessi Alexander, Connie Harrington, and Jimmy Yeary
Musician of the Year: Mac McAnally
New Artist of the Year: Kacey Musgraves
Album of the Year: Blake Shelton – Based on a True Story
Vocal Group of the Year: Little Big Town
Female Vocalist of the Year: Miranda Lambert
Male Vocalist of the Year: Blake Shelton
Entertainer of the Year: George Strait
- Stream Trampled By Turtles’ Live at First Avenue on Pandora. (warning: autoplay)
- Jimbo Mathus’ next album, Dark Night of the Soul, will be released February 18 on Fat Possum Records.
- Rock ‘n’ roller Clyde Stacy (“So Young,” “Hoy Hoy”) died in a traffic accident last night in Muskogee. He was 77.
- Check out Matraca Berg’s Mountain Stage performance.
- The Band of Heathens is offering a free download of the live collection Clams & Jams, Vol. 1.
- Gary Hartman, Executive Director of Texas Music History at Texas State University, was a victim of recent flooding in Central Texas; it’ll be several months before his home is livable again. Some cool stuff is being auctioned off to help raise money for the recovery efforts.
- American Songwriter gives four stars to Hank Reineke’s book Arlo Guthrie: The Warner/Reprise Years.
- Jewly Hight of CMT Edge interviewed one half of The Wood Brothers.
- American Songwriter premiered Buffalo Clover’s soulful new song “Truthfulness.”
- Shane McAnally was featured in The Washington Post.
- Gary Louris in The Green Bay Press Gazette: “I’ve become defined by my years with The Jayhawks, which I’m proud of. On the other hand, I’m making a conscious decision to retool my musical career, and with that it means some hard decisions to say, ‘I don’t want to just be Mr. Jayhawk for the rest of my life.’ It will be a part of my life, but I am ready for some new things. … I’m trying to redefine my career that doesn’t close the door completely or ignore what I’ve done, but not just settling in and saying, ‘I’m just going to be that guy for the rest of my life.’’’
- Lucero’s Ben Nichols chats with the folks of BrooklynVegan.com.
- Rolling Stone premiered Delta Rae’s new single, “Chasing Twisters.”
- Brad Paisley and the folks of Little Big Town were just a few people who were scammed by a woman who pretended she had a daughter with terminal cancer. MusicRow.com reports that “instead of asking for money, the woman apparently simply craved attention from celebrities.” The woman, Hope Jackson, has been jailed in Wyoming and charged with “theft of services.”
- Sarah Lee Guthrie and Johnny Irion stopped by the Relix offices to play a song from their new record, Wassaic Way.
- Blake Shelton, Carrie Underwood, Reba, Faith Hill, and Taylor Swift are a few of America’s most effective celebrity endorsers, according to Repucon’s latest Celebrity Davie Brown Index.
- bob: Enjoyed the Himes article on classic baseball songs. Thanks. Himes also mentioned some books. To those he noted I would …
- luckyoldsun: Well it probably wasn't Larry Gatlin.
- A.B.: Anyone else think Marty Stuart might be part of Lakehouse Holdings that bought the Johnny Cash/Barry Gibb property?
- David Cantwell: Thanks, Andrew. It almost seems inevitable that the greatest singers--Sinatra and George Jones, say--just don't sing so well at the …
- Andrew: Very well put. I don't remember the last time an album gave me chills right from the opening note quite …
- TX Music Jim: All valid choices. I will forever hold out the hope that Gram Parsons, Jerry Jeff Walker and Gary Stewart will …
- Leeann Ward: Oops...the link: http://www.engine145.com/summer-lovin-ronnie-milsap-looks-back-new-album/
- Leeann Ward: Yes, great choices for inductees! In Milsap's case, I guess if you say it to Juli Thanki, it will happen!:): Do …
- Paul W Dennis: Delighted to see "The Voice With A Heart" being inducted - he is my all-time favorite bluegrass vocalist. Hank Cochran …
- luckyoldsun: I don't know what exactly makes one a national treasure, but I'd give that appellation to Mac Wiseman before the …