George Strait Sells Out the Staples Center in Nine Minutes; Marty Robbins Breaks Bad; New Music Videos
- In a heartwarming episode of RFD-TV’s The Joey and Rory Show on Friday night, the duo revealed that Joey is pregnant and is due in February. Genuine congratulations goes out to one of the nicest couples in country music.
- Taking a page from Vince Gill’s book, Blake Shelton is the latest country star to take on the idiots at the Westboro Baptist Church.
- The Washington Post’s Emily Yahr wrote a feature on Florida-Georgia Line. Brian Kelley on the duo’s songs: “Sounds like the same country music that’s been around since country music started. That’s what country music will always be. It’s just a matter of what kind of beat’s behind it or what kind of guitar’s playing.”
- The Ottawa Citizen ran a feature on the newly crowned Canadian Country Music Association Awards Female Artist of the Year, Kira Isabella.
- Saving Country Music compiled a list of the best country and roots songs used in Breaking Bad. (Spoilers if you haven’t seen last night’s episode, titled “Felina,” which is kind of a spoiler in itself.)
- Brent Williams, a member of the Birch Mountain Boys and a founding member of the Canadian Country Music Association was inducted into the Nova Scotia Country Music Hall of Fame.
- Kellie Pickler and Kenny Rogers performed “Someone Somewhere Tonight,” a song both of them have recorded separately, at Rogers’ Ryman Auditorium show last week.
- Clare Bowen, the actress who plays Scarlett on ABC’s Nashville, dished on the show’s second season and the Grand Ole Opry to Rolling Stone.
- Taylor Swift will be appearing with Meryl Streep, Jeff Bridges and Katie Holmes in a new film called The Giver, based on the young adult novel of the same name written by Lois Lowry.
- Billy Currington pleaded no contest to charges of abusing an elderly person and making terroristic threats and will have five years of probation, mandatory anger management counseling, and a $1,000 fine as a result.
- Did you know that Brett Eldredge’s cousin is Terry Eldredge of The Grascals?
- Steve Martin: actor, musician and…weight loss expert?
- That the old guy still has it: George Strait sold out L.A.’s Staples Center in nine minutes.
- Motley Crue’s Nikki Sixx helped direct the guys of Parmalee towards country music. Really.
- Holly Williams performed a three-song set for USA Today’s StudioA. (warning: autoplay)
- Peter Cooper profiled Neal McCoy, who just released a Charley Pride tribute album, for The Tennessean.
- Jack Ingram on music and authenticity: “I am now, gratefully, at a point where I am confident that the only kind of artist I need to be for anything or anyone is authentic…Luck is for suckers. Compromises are for marriages. Music is for making.”
- The Eastern Canada Bluegrass Music Award nominees were announced. Winners will be announced in an award ceremony on October 19.
- Wynn Varble signed a new songwriting deal with BMG Chrysalis.
- New music videos from the past week or so:
Tedeschi Trucks Band – “The Storm”
Jason Aldean – “Night Train” (live)
Della Mae – “Letter from Down the Road…and Other Things”
Ray Stevens – “Nashville”
Jared Blake – “Countryfied”
My Own Rain – “Over the Yellow Line”
Amanda Markley – “Breathe”
Danni Rosner – “Hitchhiker”
Becca Hess – “It Ain’t Even Raining”
Walker Howell Band – “Better Days”
Steep Canyon Rangers – “Tell the Ones I Love”
Dailey and Vincent – “Steel Drivin’ Man” (live)
Josh Thompson – “Cold Beer with Your Name on It” (Lyric video)
Josh Abbott Band – “She Will Be Free”
- Tom: ...it is almost the year 2015 - ain't it about time we leave people (celebrities included) having the personal relations …
- Paul W Dennis: I had assumed that Herndon was gay after the incident that Lucky Old Sun referenced, but bought the next Herndon …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: For anyone who wants to buy it, the Rosanne Cash 45 is available again. With 1000 copies being created, I …
- luckyoldsun: It seemed that the old morals arrest incident really did Herndon in. He was a pretty big country star before …
- CraigR.: Hopefully in the future being gay or straight won't matter at all. And then people won't have to hide their …
- Bruce: Jim has a remarkable voice for his age. Heck, for any age.
- bob: Good luck to Herndon and Gilman. I've seen Herndon in concert. While I liked his 90's material better, he's still …
- Leeann Ward: It was Brad Paisley and its on his Christmas album.
- luckyoldsun: I seem to recall hearing a recording of the Christmas song "Walking in the Winter Wonderland" where the line "In …
- Leeann Ward: For a slow new Christmas music year, the announcement of the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP and the Christmas tracks by …