George Strait Sells Out the Staples Center in Nine Minutes; Marty Robbins Breaks Bad; New Music Videos
- In a heartwarming episode of RFD-TV’s The Joey and Rory Show on Friday night, the duo revealed that Joey is pregnant and is due in February. Genuine congratulations goes out to one of the nicest couples in country music.
- Taking a page from Vince Gill’s book, Blake Shelton is the latest country star to take on the idiots at the Westboro Baptist Church.
- The Washington Post’s Emily Yahr wrote a feature on Florida-Georgia Line. Brian Kelley on the duo’s songs: “Sounds like the same country music that’s been around since country music started. That’s what country music will always be. It’s just a matter of what kind of beat’s behind it or what kind of guitar’s playing.”
- The Ottawa Citizen ran a feature on the newly crowned Canadian Country Music Association Awards Female Artist of the Year, Kira Isabella.
- Saving Country Music compiled a list of the best country and roots songs used in Breaking Bad. (Spoilers if you haven’t seen last night’s episode, titled “Felina,” which is kind of a spoiler in itself.)
- Brent Williams, a member of the Birch Mountain Boys and a founding member of the Canadian Country Music Association was inducted into the Nova Scotia Country Music Hall of Fame.
- Kellie Pickler and Kenny Rogers performed “Someone Somewhere Tonight,” a song both of them have recorded separately, at Rogers’ Ryman Auditorium show last week.
- Clare Bowen, the actress who plays Scarlett on ABC’s Nashville, dished on the show’s second season and the Grand Ole Opry to Rolling Stone.
- Taylor Swift will be appearing with Meryl Streep, Jeff Bridges and Katie Holmes in a new film called The Giver, based on the young adult novel of the same name written by Lois Lowry.
- Billy Currington pleaded no contest to charges of abusing an elderly person and making terroristic threats and will have five years of probation, mandatory anger management counseling, and a $1,000 fine as a result.
- Did you know that Brett Eldredge’s cousin is Terry Eldredge of The Grascals?
- Steve Martin: actor, musician and…weight loss expert?
- That the old guy still has it: George Strait sold out L.A.’s Staples Center in nine minutes.
- Motley Crue’s Nikki Sixx helped direct the guys of Parmalee towards country music. Really.
- Holly Williams performed a three-song set for USA Today’s StudioA. (warning: autoplay)
- Peter Cooper profiled Neal McCoy, who just released a Charley Pride tribute album, for The Tennessean.
- Jack Ingram on music and authenticity: “I am now, gratefully, at a point where I am confident that the only kind of artist I need to be for anything or anyone is authentic…Luck is for suckers. Compromises are for marriages. Music is for making.”
- The Eastern Canada Bluegrass Music Award nominees were announced. Winners will be announced in an award ceremony on October 19.
- Wynn Varble signed a new songwriting deal with BMG Chrysalis.
- New music videos from the past week or so:
Tedeschi Trucks Band – “The Storm”
Jason Aldean – “Night Train” (live)
Della Mae – “Letter from Down the Road…and Other Things”
Ray Stevens – “Nashville”
Jared Blake – “Countryfied”
My Own Rain – “Over the Yellow Line”
Amanda Markley – “Breathe”
Danni Rosner – “Hitchhiker”
Becca Hess – “It Ain’t Even Raining”
Walker Howell Band – “Better Days”
Steep Canyon Rangers – “Tell the Ones I Love”
Dailey and Vincent – “Steel Drivin’ Man” (live)
Josh Thompson – “Cold Beer with Your Name on It” (Lyric video)
Josh Abbott Band – “She Will Be Free”
- Michael: I wonder if Kasey Chambers will be visiting Dr. Gwen Korovin for treatment of her vocal cords...
- Dave D.: Just about any song off of Dwight's first three albums would qualify as a favorite; forced to pick one I'd …
- Jack Williams: No. Not Owner of a Lonely Heart. I was hoping for better when I saw the article title …
- Russ Morris: My introduction to Dwight was This Time. Every song on that album is my favorite. I'm playing 3 Pears in …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: Favorite Dwight Yoakam song? Too darn tough to choose! I do love his second Greatest Hits album, though, featuring his …
- Ken Morton, Jr.: The inferiority complex of the CMA never ceases to amaze me.
- Barry Mazor: Thanks for explaining that to me, Luckyol.
- luckyoldsun: Barry, I think you're taking it a bit too seriously. CMT has to keep coming up with new lists to make. …
- Barry Mazor: Thi is a world in which the "top 40 most influential country artists of all time" do not include, for …
- luckyoldsun: I just noticed that Garth and King George are still to come. So unless I'm missing something else, the remaining seven …