George Strait Celebrates 60 for 60; BBC Tracks Down Mystery Yodeler; New Album Releases
- Today we’re thinking of our friends in Oklahoma who’ve been affected by the tornado. Here are a few ways you can help. (h/t Farce the Music)
- George Strait made a brief video thanking the fans for helping him achieve his “Sixty for Sixty” goal. He’s got the most #1s in music history; you can listen to all of them here. Which one’s your favorite?
- Joe Ely, Terry Allen, Bruce Robison & Kelly Willis, The Dixie Chicks, and more helped celebrate Lloyd Maines at a gala to benefit KLRU.
- Remember the news item last week about the BBC Radio 4 broadcast that got interrupted by a clip of someone yodeling? Today there’s an article on the BBC site all about Kevin Connolly’s effort to find the “mystery yodeler.” Turns out the song snippet that aired was Beverly Massegee’s recording of Wanda Jackson’s “Jesus Put a Yodel in My Soul.” It also turns out that Massegee is a very interesting woman: she was allegedly the “Babushka Lady” on the scene in Dallas when JFK was shot and subsequently overcame a heroin addiction and marriage to a “Dixie mafia” hitman. Then she began a yodeling-and-ventriloquism act to bring people to Jesus.
- Alan Jackson will tour Australia beginning in late September.
- Thompson Square will debut their new single on Leno tonight.
- The Virtual Strangers are hosting a three-part bluegrass lecture and concert series beginning tonight at the Athenaeum Music & Arts Library in La Jolla, Cali.
- NPR’s Robin Hilton asks, “Do You Really Listen to Full Albums?”
- On Saturday, Chely Wright and her wife welcomed twin boys.
- Edgar Loudermilk released a new single from his upcoming album, which will be released in July. Listen to “Shady Green” here.
- On Thursday, Little Big Town will debut their video for “Your Side of the Bed” on Good Morning America. (via press release)
- On May 29, GAC will premiere the concert special Brad Paisley Spins the Wheelhouse: Live in Vegas. Musical guests include Dierks Bentley, Carrie Underwood, and John Fogerty.
- Dana Krangel counts down Steve Martin’s Top Five Musical Moments.
- Sam Amidon’s got a new video for “As I Roved Out.”
- Hank Williams III and David Allan Coe have a new song, “The Outlaw Ways.”
- Dierks Bentley talks about his forthcoming record, Riser, in this video interview. Bentley says the album will have party songs, heartbreak songs, songs inspired by his late father, and “more depth.” (warning: autoplay)
- Bluegrass Today’s Richard Thompson writes about the story behind “Crossing the Bar.”
- Jim Caligiuri of the Austin Chronicle profiled The Whiskey Sisters.
- Darius Rucker on his new album, True Believers: “I think we wrote close to 60 or 70 songs and worked on the sounds we wanted. The first two records sounded a lot alike; this time we just wanted to sound a little different. It’s always going to be my voice and all that, but we just wanted the songs to shine a little brighter, maybe do a couple things that were a little more country.”
- The Dancing with the Stars finale is tonight in case you want to tune in and see if Kellie Pickler takes home the trophy. Wynonna will appear on the show as well, singing “I Want to Know What Love Is.”
- Bobby Tanzilo of OnMilwaukee.com takes a look back at the “coolest record of the ‘60s folk revival:” Blues, Rags, and Hollers, by folk blues trio Koerner, Ray & Glover.
- This week’s album releases:
Jude Johnstone – Shatter
Don Rigsby – Doctor’s Orders: A Tribute to Ralph Stanley
Darius Rucker – True Believers
JC Brooks & The Uptown Sound – Howl
Mike Scott & Friends – Home Sweet Home
Red Dirt Rangers – Lone Chimney
Various Artists – Classic Harmonica Blues
Various Artists – Swamp People
- luckyoldsun: MH-- "...divisive, dismissive and argumentative." There's a shock. Who'da thunk it.
- MH: Looks like the IBMA is finding out what a lot of us already knew about former & frequent Engine 145 …
- Tom: ...it is almost the year 2015 - ain't it about time we leave people (celebrities included) having the personal relations …
- Paul W Dennis: I had assumed that Herndon was gay after the incident that Lucky Old Sun referenced, but bought the next Herndon …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: For anyone who wants to buy it, the Rosanne Cash 45 is available again. With 1000 copies being created, I …
- luckyoldsun: It seemed that the old morals arrest incident really did Herndon in. He was a pretty big country star before …
- CraigR.: Hopefully in the future being gay or straight won't matter at all. And then people won't have to hide their …
- Bruce: Jim has a remarkable voice for his age. Heck, for any age.
- bob: Good luck to Herndon and Gilman. I've seen Herndon in concert. While I liked his 90's material better, he's still …
- Leeann Ward: It was Brad Paisley and its on his Christmas album.