George Strait Breaks Attendance Record; Chris Young Undergoes Surgery; New Music Videos
- In what was promoted as his final live concert, George Strait set a record for the largest crowd for an indoor concert in North American history at AT&T Stadium in Dallas on Saturday night. More than 104,000 people were in attendance.
- Lionel Richie is plotting a sequel to his country duets album, Tuskegee.
- Check out the video of Lee Ann Womack performing “I Hope You Dance” at the memorial service for Maya Angelou.
- Lee Brice will release I Don’t Dance on Curb Records September 9. (via press release)
- Emily West uploaded a new video of her performing “I Will Always Love You” in her home studio without any musical accompaniment. That girl’s got pipes.
- John Berry’s latest installment in his Tour Bus Covers series features his version of James Taylor’s “Sweet Baby James.”
- Grateful Dead legend Bob Weir joined the Avett Brothers on stage at Mountain Jam; they covered George Jones’ “The Race is On.”
- Meet Misty Rae Carson.
- Chris Young evidently did his best Swedish Chef impression in his kitchen the other night when he damaged tendons in his hand; the injury required surgery. Young had to cancel his CMA Fest appearances.
- Gary Allan is also on the sidelines, having to cancel his fan club party due to a viral infection.
- Bob Wills came in at No. 28 on CMT’s All-Time Top 40: Artists’ Choice, a list of the most influential artists in history, chosen by country stars themselves.
- The dapper C.M. Wilcox has a new Quotable Country post up over at Country California.
- Kip Moore sang “Dirt Road” on Late Night with Seth Meyers.
- The new Doyle Lawson and Quicksilver album, Open Carefully, Message Inside, will be released on July 15.
- Gene Watson is this month’s featured artist over at My Kind of Country.
- Randy Travis made a rare public appearance when he attended a Dolly Parton performance.
- Willie Nelson will appear on QVC Thursday night. (via press release)
- New music videos and in-studio performances from the past week or so:
Jason Isbell – “Super 8”
Billy Ray Cyrus – “Like a Country Song”
Brandon Chase – “One”
Matthew Mayfield – “Desire”
Joe Henry – “Sign”
Martina McBride – “Little Bit of Rain”
The Tillers – “The Road Neverending”
Del McCoury Band – “Limehouse Blues”
Circa Blue – “Ain’t Got No Money”
Drew Kennedy – “Rose of Jericho”
Logan Brill – “La Vie En Rose”
- bob: Thanks Barry. Just reserved the Adam Gussow book. Sounds interesting.
- Barry Mazor: It may be over-stated, in arriving at practically a single explanation of everything, but Adam Gussow's book on lynching and …
- Leeann: Wow! Heavy topic and horrifying indeed! "Beer for My Horses" was all fun and games until that reference, I'll have …
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."