George Strait Breaks Attendance Record; Chris Young Undergoes Surgery; New Music Videos
- In what was promoted as his final live concert, George Strait set a record for the largest crowd for an indoor concert in North American history at AT&T Stadium in Dallas on Saturday night. More than 104,000 people were in attendance.
- Lionel Richie is plotting a sequel to his country duets album, Tuskegee.
- Check out the video of Lee Ann Womack performing “I Hope You Dance” at the memorial service for Maya Angelou.
- Lee Brice will release I Don’t Dance on Curb Records September 9. (via press release)
- Emily West uploaded a new video of her performing “I Will Always Love You” in her home studio without any musical accompaniment. That girl’s got pipes.
- John Berry’s latest installment in his Tour Bus Covers series features his version of James Taylor’s “Sweet Baby James.”
- Grateful Dead legend Bob Weir joined the Avett Brothers on stage at Mountain Jam; they covered George Jones’ “The Race is On.”
- Meet Misty Rae Carson.
- Chris Young evidently did his best Swedish Chef impression in his kitchen the other night when he damaged tendons in his hand; the injury required surgery. Young had to cancel his CMA Fest appearances.
- Gary Allan is also on the sidelines, having to cancel his fan club party due to a viral infection.
- Bob Wills came in at No. 28 on CMT’s All-Time Top 40: Artists’ Choice, a list of the most influential artists in history, chosen by country stars themselves.
- The dapper C.M. Wilcox has a new Quotable Country post up over at Country California.
- Kip Moore sang “Dirt Road” on Late Night with Seth Meyers.
- The new Doyle Lawson and Quicksilver album, Open Carefully, Message Inside, will be released on July 15.
- Gene Watson is this month’s featured artist over at My Kind of Country.
- Randy Travis made a rare public appearance when he attended a Dolly Parton performance.
- Willie Nelson will appear on QVC Thursday night. (via press release)
- New music videos and in-studio performances from the past week or so:
Jason Isbell – “Super 8”
Billy Ray Cyrus – “Like a Country Song”
Brandon Chase – “One”
Matthew Mayfield – “Desire”
Joe Henry – “Sign”
Martina McBride – “Little Bit of Rain”
The Tillers – “The Road Neverending”
Del McCoury Band – “Limehouse Blues”
Circa Blue – “Ain’t Got No Money”
Drew Kennedy – “Rose of Jericho”
Logan Brill – “La Vie En Rose”
- bruce: Jim Ed Brown can still sing, and better than some modern-day tune throwers. CraigR - Can't disagree with any of your …
- Paul W Dennis: They are an interesting group. This song sounds more jazzy (Andrews Sisters, Puppini Sisiter, Ingrid Lucia) but for a folkier …
- Barry Mazor: What the "Americana" term brings to mind, by this point, is a matter of time and marketing. Like all …
- Paul W Dennis: I loved the Jerry Douglas interview and love the ideas behind his two concept albums Unfortunately I never had the opportunity …
- luckyoldsun: Barry, That's a good point, as far as country itself being a word that refers to a lot more than a …
- Six String Richie: Also, in regards to that article, Aldean's #2 complaint was "Nashville Copycats" and he gripes that people are copping Luke …
- Six String Richie: Billboard misprinted his new single as "Burnin' It Up" in that article! That goes to show how little even …
- CraigR.: Here are 5 things that piss me off about Jason Aldean: 1. He is a sore winner. Why complain when you …
- Barry Mazor: The words "country" and jazz (or "jass") and blues had been around for decades before they became genres (or formats) …
- Jeff Miller: Yeah, the first time I played Jimmie Rodgers for my wife & daughter- they were aghast that he was singing …