George Strait Breaks Attendance Record; Chris Young Undergoes Surgery; New Music Videos
- In what was promoted as his final live concert, George Strait set a record for the largest crowd for an indoor concert in North American history at AT&T Stadium in Dallas on Saturday night. More than 104,000 people were in attendance.
- Lionel Richie is plotting a sequel to his country duets album, Tuskegee.
- Check out the video of Lee Ann Womack performing “I Hope You Dance” at the memorial service for Maya Angelou.
- Lee Brice will release I Don’t Dance on Curb Records September 9. (via press release)
- Emily West uploaded a new video of her performing “I Will Always Love You” in her home studio without any musical accompaniment. That girl’s got pipes.
- John Berry’s latest installment in his Tour Bus Covers series features his version of James Taylor’s “Sweet Baby James.”
- Grateful Dead legend Bob Weir joined the Avett Brothers on stage at Mountain Jam; they covered George Jones’ “The Race is On.”
- Meet Misty Rae Carson.
- Chris Young evidently did his best Swedish Chef impression in his kitchen the other night when he damaged tendons in his hand; the injury required surgery. Young had to cancel his CMA Fest appearances.
- Gary Allan is also on the sidelines, having to cancel his fan club party due to a viral infection.
- Bob Wills came in at No. 28 on CMT’s All-Time Top 40: Artists’ Choice, a list of the most influential artists in history, chosen by country stars themselves.
- The dapper C.M. Wilcox has a new Quotable Country post up over at Country California.
- Kip Moore sang “Dirt Road” on Late Night with Seth Meyers.
- The new Doyle Lawson and Quicksilver album, Open Carefully, Message Inside, will be released on July 15.
- Gene Watson is this month’s featured artist over at My Kind of Country.
- Randy Travis made a rare public appearance when he attended a Dolly Parton performance.
- Willie Nelson will appear on QVC Thursday night. (via press release)
- New music videos and in-studio performances from the past week or so:
Jason Isbell – “Super 8”
Billy Ray Cyrus – “Like a Country Song”
Brandon Chase – “One”
Matthew Mayfield – “Desire”
Joe Henry – “Sign”
Martina McBride – “Little Bit of Rain”
The Tillers – “The Road Neverending”
Del McCoury Band – “Limehouse Blues”
Circa Blue – “Ain’t Got No Money”
Drew Kennedy – “Rose of Jericho”
Logan Brill – “La Vie En Rose”
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.