George Strait Becomes Winningest Act In CMA Awards History
- George Strait‘s two wins last night pushed him up to 22 all-time awards and made him the winningest act in CMA Awards history.
- John Rich is the subject of a lawsuit filed by Jerry Montano, the rocker who’s nose was smashed by Rich four weeks ago. The suit alleges that Rich intentionally hit Montano after realizing that one of his female friends “was only interested in talking to him and nothing else.”
- Universal Music Group is projecting that Taylor Swift‘s new album Fearless could move upwards of 600,000 copies during its first week, easily ranking as the best sales week for a country album this year. It’ll also be enough to put her at No. 1 on the Billboard 200.
- Of the 1,000-plus songs on Taylor Swift‘s iPod, USA Today reveals the tracks she listens to the most.
- A couple of wees ago C. Eric Banister talked to author Loyal Jones about his new book Country Music Humorists and Comedians, and today he published his review.
In those 40-some pages he covers the history of comedy in country music and its importance to the development of country in growing a connection between artist and audience. This brief introduction packs in so much information and history that it alone would be worth picking up the book to have.
- Rolling Stone published a list ranking the “100 Greatest Singers of All Time,” with a short profile and playlist included for each artist. Blake Boldt conveniently pulled out the list and rankings of country artists and asks, “Who else deserved to make the roll call? And are six entries enough to represent country music?”
- Kellie Pickler pictures.
- Dierks Bentley played his new album for about 100 people at a bonfire party last at his hilltop property near Nashville and Craig Shelburne says it’s almost all uptempo and a little frisky.
In one song, he says that even though his lover is wide awake, he wants to make her close her eyes. Yowza! I get the feeling he was in an extremely good mood when he recorded it.
- Thanks to KathyP for the nice words and nomination in the 2008 Weblog Awards.
- Lonsome Day Records signed the Boston-based Americana band Girls Guns and Glory (MySpace) and will redistribute their current self-released album early next year.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.