George Jones’ Graveside Monument Unveiled; Haden Triplets to Release Third Man Debut in February; Album Releases
- George Jones’ graveside monument was unveiled yesterday. Nancy Jones announced that she’s starting a scholarship in his name at Middle Tennessee State University.
- Katie Armiger, Brent Cobb, Chris Janson, and Corey Smith will take part in a guitar pull on December 10 to raise funds for the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum.
- Owen Temple discusses songwriting in an interview with CMT Edge’s Brian T. Atkinson.
- Jon Caramanica of The New York Times reviewed Sturgill Simpson’s Saturday night show.
- Marissa R. Moss of American Songwriter wrote a lengthy feature on Alabama and the two Alabama tribute albums that came out this year.
- Aaron Watson’s new single was inspired by the story of the late bull rider Lane Frost.
- Singer-songwriter Lauren O’Connell and folk band Humming House have music available for download on NoiseTrade.
- CMT Edge posted Starlings, TN’s “Hey, Pretty Mamma.”
- Brandy Clark was featured on NPR’s All Things Considered.
- Did you hear Ben Nichols’ (Lucero) “The Last Pale Light in the West” on The Walking Dead Sunday night?
- Jody Rosen on Taylor Swift: She is country’s first truly global star, its ambassador not just to the nation’s mall-rat hordes but to Ireland and Brazil and Taiwan. She confers modernity, cosmopolitanism, youth on a genre that traditionally has stood for the opposite values. The country Establishment may not be crazy about pop music, but it loves having a pop star in its midst, and is willing to follow Swift anywhere she goes, sending songs like “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together” to No. 1 on the Hot Country Songs charts. Nashville barely even flinched when confronted with “I Knew You Were Trouble,” surely the only record with a dubstep bass-drop ever to get spins on country radio. For Swift, Nashville offers plenty in return. The country audience is music’s most loyal and reliable; in a decade of record-industry decline, country sales figures have been notably more buoyant than other genres. Nashville turned out to be the perfect staging ground, the ideal base of operations, for Swift’s broader conquest of pop culture.
- Junior Sisk and Joe Mullins talk with The 615’s Chuck Dauphin about their new collaboration, Hall of Fame Bluegrass (which you can, and should, stream while you read).
- Will Kimbrough will release his next album, Sideshow Love, on February 18. (via press release)
- Folky family band The Haden Triplets will release their debut album (produced by Ry Cooder) on Third Man Records February 3.
- Henhouse Prowlers are in the Congo as part of the State Department-sponsored American Voices program. Read about the band’s adventures on Bluegrass Today.
- Arlo Guthrie’s “Alice’s Restaurant” has been named the American Songwriter Song of the Week, just in time for Thanksgiving.
- John Rich’s new talk show will debut next Monday night on The T.V. Guide Network. Based on the preview, watching this might be a more entertaining way to spend your evening.
- The video for Rosi Golan’s “Can’t Go Back” was posted on CMT Edge.
- Wailin’ Jenny Ruth Moody recorded Springsteen’s “Dancing in the Dark” for her solo record released earlier this year; check out her new video.
- Stream Norah Jones and Billie Joe Armstrong’s Foreverly, a tribute to The Everly Brothers’ Songs Our Daddy Taught Us.
- This week’s album releases (if you like, or at least tolerate, the content on E145, we’d appreciate it if you purchased your music through the affiliate links below — it doesn’t cost you extra, but it helps us keep the lights on):
The Grascals – When I Get My Pay
Julie Lee – Till & Mule
Bottle Rockets – Bottle Rockets/The Brooklyn Side
Parker McCollum – A Red Town View
Cody Canada – Some Old, Some New, Maybe a Cover or Two
Jeff German & The Blankety Blanks – 12 Rounds
Sarah Darling – Have a Merry Little Christmas Darling
Stan Rogers – The Collection
Jeb Lipson – Patina
Various Artists – Rockin’ Legends Pay Tribute to Jack White
Various Artists – Christine Lavin Presents: Just One Angel v2.0
- And DVD:
- Leeann Ward: Way to go to David Cantwell for getting a name drop! Great interview, Juli! Womack's new album is awesome! I've not always …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: Great interview as always, Juli! The new album is fantastic. "Same Kind of Different" is my favorite cut although "Fly" is …
- Dave D.: Good interview. Looking forward to the new record, and particularly interested in hearing her version of Brennen Leigh's "Sleeping with …
- nm: I guess it's not surprising that a singer who gets her songs all over the place, the way Womack does, …
- SunsetPark: As a Pennsylvanian to this day, thanks for the list. I haven't heard the Quecreek song and so can't …
- Paul W Dennis: I would urge readers to check out the Billy Edd Wheeler salute on October 18, 2014. Billy Edd Wheeler is …
- Leeann Ward: I'm really liking Pink's folk duo song! I'm looking forward to the album!
- Donald: LOS, you made me giggle. Thank you.
- luckyoldsun: An in related news, an E.P.A. inspector is preparing to slap the cuffs on Nancy Jones tomorrow.
- luckyoldsun: Looks like old Lynn is not done saying "I beg your pardon..."