George Jones Laid to Rest; Woody Guthrie at 100 to Air on PBS in June; Jason Aldean to Co-Host CMT Awards
- GAC put together a photo gallery.
- Rolling Stone posted a statement from Keith Richards on Jones’ passing.
- A few videos from the event are trickling in on YouTube, like Patty Loveless and Vince Gill’s heart-wrenching performance of “Go Rest High on That Mountain.” No word yet on whether GAC or CMT will re-air the service, but we’ll keep you posted.
- Emma Beaton of Joy Kills Sorrow shares the story behind her George Jones tattoo.
- Saving Country Music posted Don Maddox’s memories of first meeting George Jones: “The guy that was booking us in there said, ‘We got a young feller in the audience, he’s just getting started, and I think he’s gonna go a long way. I was wondering if we could let him get up on the stage and do a song with you guys.’” Don recalls to me from his home in Ashland, OR. “We didn’t know who he was, but we said, ‘Sure, bring him on up!’ So he brought him up and it turns out to be George Jones. Of course he was just getting started then. He wasn’t well known, but this guy [the promoter] said he had what it takes and thought he would go a long way, and any help we could give him, they’d appreciate it… And lo and behold, he did go a long way!”
- Jason Aldean will co-host the CMT Awards with Kristen Bell on June 5.
- Dave Hardin’s got a new video for “Red Dirt Bird.”
- Rachel Brooke, Lindi Ortega, and Cary Ann Hearst of Shovels & Rope made Saving Country Music’s list of “Nine Women Who Could Immediately Make Country Better.”
- Winchester, Virginia, and Meridian, Mississippi made Fox News’ list of eight travel destinations for country music fans. (Winchester, where the Patsy Cline Historic House is located, is definitely worth a visit.)
- Mountain Heart was featured on WHYY’s On Canvas. Watch here.
- Kim Ruehl interviewed Kenny Roby for No Depression.
- Wanda Jackson and The Kentucky Headhunters are among the acts scheduled to play the Arkansas Delta Rockabilly Festival next weekend.
- Woody Guthrie at 100: Live at the Kennedy Center will air on PBS stations beginning June 1. The concert CD/DVD, featuring performances from Rosanne Cash, Jackson Browne, The Del McCoury Band with Tim O’Brien, and more, will be released June 11 on Legacy Recordings. (via press releases) Read our review of the concert here.
- Leeann Ward: Interesting! I just got an email from Amozon saying that they cancelled my preorder of Jamey Johnson's Christmas album due …
- luckyoldsun: Jim Z-- I get the feeling Barry was this close to calling you what Kinky Friedman called his guy from El …
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …