George Jones Laid to Rest; Woody Guthrie at 100 to Air on PBS in June; Jason Aldean to Co-Host CMT Awards
- GAC put together a photo gallery.
- Rolling Stone posted a statement from Keith Richards on Jones’ passing.
- A few videos from the event are trickling in on YouTube, like Patty Loveless and Vince Gill’s heart-wrenching performance of “Go Rest High on That Mountain.” No word yet on whether GAC or CMT will re-air the service, but we’ll keep you posted.
- Emma Beaton of Joy Kills Sorrow shares the story behind her George Jones tattoo.
- Saving Country Music posted Don Maddox’s memories of first meeting George Jones: “The guy that was booking us in there said, ‘We got a young feller in the audience, he’s just getting started, and I think he’s gonna go a long way. I was wondering if we could let him get up on the stage and do a song with you guys.’” Don recalls to me from his home in Ashland, OR. “We didn’t know who he was, but we said, ‘Sure, bring him on up!’ So he brought him up and it turns out to be George Jones. Of course he was just getting started then. He wasn’t well known, but this guy [the promoter] said he had what it takes and thought he would go a long way, and any help we could give him, they’d appreciate it… And lo and behold, he did go a long way!”
- Jason Aldean will co-host the CMT Awards with Kristen Bell on June 5.
- Dave Hardin’s got a new video for “Red Dirt Bird.”
- Rachel Brooke, Lindi Ortega, and Cary Ann Hearst of Shovels & Rope made Saving Country Music’s list of “Nine Women Who Could Immediately Make Country Better.”
- Winchester, Virginia, and Meridian, Mississippi made Fox News’ list of eight travel destinations for country music fans. (Winchester, where the Patsy Cline Historic House is located, is definitely worth a visit.)
- Mountain Heart was featured on WHYY’s On Canvas. Watch here.
- Kim Ruehl interviewed Kenny Roby for No Depression.
- Wanda Jackson and The Kentucky Headhunters are among the acts scheduled to play the Arkansas Delta Rockabilly Festival next weekend.
- Woody Guthrie at 100: Live at the Kennedy Center will air on PBS stations beginning June 1. The concert CD/DVD, featuring performances from Rosanne Cash, Jackson Browne, The Del McCoury Band with Tim O’Brien, and more, will be released June 11 on Legacy Recordings. (via press releases) Read our review of the concert here.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.