George Jones Announces Farewell Tour; Taylor Swift Readies New Record; New Album Releases
- So remember how Engine 145 was taking the week off? A bunch of interesting music stuff happened, and if we didn’t tell you it, you’d probably just learn about it on the street.
- George Jones announced that in 2013, he’ll be embarking on a “final tour” and subsequently retiring from the road to spend more time with his family. “The Grand Tour” will hit approximately 60 cities. Jones also plans to record a new album; Dolly Parton’s writing songs for him.
- Speaking of Parton, her book Dream More will be released in November. It’ll benefit her Imagination Library program.
- Brent Grulke, SXSW creative director and former music writer/editor for the Austin Chronicle, passed away on Monday at the age of 52.
- Taylor Swift’s got a new album, Red, coming out October 22. Also, since she’s dating a Kennedy, she just bought a house in Hyannis Port. And when the Crocs shoe company’s co-founder got arrested for allegedly driving under the influence in Boulder, Colorado, he blamed the situation on Swift, who he said was his girlfriend.
- CMT’s Edward Morris took a look at songs “that use numbers to signify the scarcity, abundance or perseverance of strong emotions.”
- Here’s an interesting police incident report. It involves a young man who threatened a bartender with bodily harm while swinging a banjo.
- Darin & Brooke Aldridge released a new video for their song, “Wildflower.”
- Also coming out on 9/25: John Hiatt’s Mystic Pinball (hear the first single here) and Ricky Skaggs’ Music to My Ears.
- Delta Rae played “Bottom of the River” for KCRW.
- This week’s album releases:
Corb Lund – Cabin Fever
Radney Foster – Del Rio, Texas Revisited: Unplugged and Lonesome
Blackberry Smoke – The Whippoorwill
The Dust Busters with John Cohen – Old Man Below
Susan Cattaneo – Little Big Sky