Garth Brooks Unretires; Colonel Tommy Cash; Stream Drew Kennedy; Taylor Swift to Host SNL
- At a Nashville press conference today, Garth Brooks announced that he’s coming out of retirement with an extended engagement at the Wynn Resort in Las Vegas.
- Taylor Swift scored Saturday Night Live hosting duties for Nov. 7.
- Singer-songwriter Drew Kennedy, one-half of The 9513 sponsored New American Voices tour, debuted his newest album last night. The full record, titled An Audio Guide To Cross Country Travel, can currently be streamed on his website.
If the spirit should move you, don’t hesitate to leave me a comment. I’d love to hear what you think about it. Any ideas for a single? Let us know. We haven’t made up our mind yet, and we’d love to have you help us decide. Hate it? Let us know that, too (though I hope with all of my being that you don’t!).
- Country California: “America celebrated Tuesday as 12 miners who spent three days trapped inside the woolly recesses of country singer Jamey Johnson’s beard were finally reunited with their loved ones.”
- Farce the Music targeted Bryan White, Carrie Underwood, Rodney Atkins, and more in October’s batch of parody album covers.
- Geoffrey Himes describes Robert Earl Keen as having two very different sides, with his latest disc striking a balance between the two:
On one hand, he has a gift for the kind of understated, skeptical, literary songwriting pursued by his mentors Townes Van Zandt and Guy Clark, and friend and neighbor Lyle Lovett. On the other, Keen has become a hero to Lone Star State fratboys who sing along lustily to Keen choruses celebrating guns, alcohol and squandered hours. As a result, some folks blame him for Pat Green.
- Love and Theft‘s album World Wide Open is on sale for $1.99 at Amazon. (via Country Music Is Love)
- The Bluegrass Blog published Pete Fisher‘s keynote address at the IBMA Awards and some good news/bad news from Cadillac Sky involving new album news and a scary, icy road experience.
- Watch the newest Studio 330 Sessions featuring Michelle Branch.
- Houston Press’ Chris Parker on Gary Allan‘s big break:
Allan grew up in honky-tonks, accompanying his dad’s band before striking out with a Bakersfield sound and gruff, weathered tenor. His big break came when a wealthy couple to whom he sold a car found his demo in the glove box and promptly wrote him a check to pursue his dream.
- Justin Townes Earle and sideman Cory Younts parted ways.
- Carrie Underwood performed her new single, “Cowboy Casanova,” and four songs from her two previous albums for the latest Walmart Soudcheck.
- Tennessee Gov. Phil Bredesen recognized Tommy Cash as an honorary colonel for his many contributions to and on behalf of the Volunteer State, especially his esteemed history of traveling worldwide to promote Tennessee through his musical talents, as well as his dedication to aiding the music industry through service. (via press release)
- Lyle Lovett casts an inward eye on his new song “Natural Forces.”
- The Nest is continuing its Fall Concert Series giveaway with tickets to Jake Owen tour stops across the country. Be sure to enter by Monday for a chance to win.
- Country Haiku:
It is late at night
And I need you now, baby
It’s a booty call
- A Truer Sound touches on Dualtone Records’s plans to release a proper recording of Guy Clark‘s show at The Belcourt Theater and Scott Miller‘s new song “Lo Sienta, Spanishburg West Virginia,” it’s the first in a series that he’ll be releasing in order to help fund his new album.
- Kasey Chambers and Shane Nicholson on Mountain Stage.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.