Garth Brooks & Leon Russell Chosen for Songwriters Hall; Second Gary Floater Tribute Arises; Free Downloads Abound
- Leon Russell and Garth Brooks are among this year’s inductees for the Songwriters Hall of Fame.
- When one has a dad like Elizabeth Cook‘s dad, one doesn’t need QVC.
- The new Owen Temple record Mountain Home hasn’t even been released yet (Apr. 26) and he’s already giving it away for free. As a Sam Houston nut, I’m diggin’ the song “Old Sam.” (via Melodic Sunburst)
- Songwriter Kyle Jacobs released a video from his wedding with Kellie Pickler to a song titled “Say I Do.” (iTunes)
- Scott Borchetta introducing The Valory Music Co.’s latest signing, Brantley Gilbert:
“I am thrilled that Brantley has chosen to join our family. Let me be the messenger – that rumble that you hear thundering down the road and the bright red flare that you see is lighting up the sky… Get ready… Here comes Brantley Gilbert. You have been warned.”
- Farce the Music: Country Bumper Stickers
- Kicking off a cool new feature called My Jukebox, Twang Nation asked Amanda Shires for a playlist of her recent listening choices.
- Brooklyn artist Rebecca Pronsky is giving away the song “Mercury News” from her forthcoming album viewfinder (Apr. 19).
- Associated Press writer Ted Anthony on the new Johnny Cash release:
In entertainment, the “from the vaults” conceit is often an overrated notion — a marketing ploy. Not here. Listen to this CD and hear the hinge point between rural parlor music and outlaw country. Johnny Cash was one of the unforgettables, and this is a glimpse directly into both his young soul and the context from which he came — a reminder of what American country was, and how its stars built their careers rung by rung.
- A soon to be graduated Sierra Hull talked to The Bluegrass Blog about what she’s learned from the Berklee College of Music during the past two years.
- CMT’s Craig Shelburne created a playlist of 20 songs to check out from recently released albums.
- A second installment of the Gary Floater tribute albums, this one titled Floater Rising, is due out April 1!
When the slick record executive in the suit handed Gary a new recording contract, Floater signed it – against legal advice – without reading it. Buried in the document was the worst deal in country music history- 10 albums in exchange for a four dollar advance and a 0% royalty for the artist.
Gary stole his lawyer’s pen, looked hard at the recordman, and said, “You go on ahead of me Satan, I’m right behind you.”
- The deluxe version of Keith Urban‘s album Get Closer, previously exclusive to Target stores, was added to iTunes yesterday. Urban also owns one of this week’s free iTunes downloads with the song “Georgia Woods.” Another song on Urban’s album, “The Luxury of Knowing,” was written by songwriter Lori McKenna, who included her version on her latest album, Lorraine. Neither version is free (download it anyways, it’s worth it), but you can get her song “Buy This Town,” from the same album, at no charge.
- Barry Mazor: It may be over-stated, in arriving at practically a single explanation of everything, but Adam Gussow's book on lynching and …
- Leeann: Wow! Heavy topic and horrifying indeed! "Beer for My Horses" was all fun and games until that reference, I'll have …
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."
- Jack Williams: Lynch Blues - Corey Harris Countrycide (The Ballad of Ed and Charlie Brown) - Alvin Youngblood Hart Divine Object of Hatred - …