Garth Brooks & Leon Russell Chosen for Songwriters Hall; Second Gary Floater Tribute Arises; Free Downloads Abound
- Leon Russell and Garth Brooks are among this year’s inductees for the Songwriters Hall of Fame.
- When one has a dad like Elizabeth Cook‘s dad, one doesn’t need QVC.
- The new Owen Temple record Mountain Home hasn’t even been released yet (Apr. 26) and he’s already giving it away for free. As a Sam Houston nut, I’m diggin’ the song “Old Sam.” (via Melodic Sunburst)
- Songwriter Kyle Jacobs released a video from his wedding with Kellie Pickler to a song titled “Say I Do.” (iTunes)
- Scott Borchetta introducing The Valory Music Co.’s latest signing, Brantley Gilbert:
“I am thrilled that Brantley has chosen to join our family. Let me be the messenger – that rumble that you hear thundering down the road and the bright red flare that you see is lighting up the sky… Get ready… Here comes Brantley Gilbert. You have been warned.”
- Farce the Music: Country Bumper Stickers
- Kicking off a cool new feature called My Jukebox, Twang Nation asked Amanda Shires for a playlist of her recent listening choices.
- Brooklyn artist Rebecca Pronsky is giving away the song “Mercury News” from her forthcoming album viewfinder (Apr. 19).
- Associated Press writer Ted Anthony on the new Johnny Cash release:
In entertainment, the “from the vaults” conceit is often an overrated notion — a marketing ploy. Not here. Listen to this CD and hear the hinge point between rural parlor music and outlaw country. Johnny Cash was one of the unforgettables, and this is a glimpse directly into both his young soul and the context from which he came — a reminder of what American country was, and how its stars built their careers rung by rung.
- A soon to be graduated Sierra Hull talked to The Bluegrass Blog about what she’s learned from the Berklee College of Music during the past two years.
- CMT’s Craig Shelburne created a playlist of 20 songs to check out from recently released albums.
- A second installment of the Gary Floater tribute albums, this one titled Floater Rising, is due out April 1!
When the slick record executive in the suit handed Gary a new recording contract, Floater signed it – against legal advice – without reading it. Buried in the document was the worst deal in country music history- 10 albums in exchange for a four dollar advance and a 0% royalty for the artist.
Gary stole his lawyer’s pen, looked hard at the recordman, and said, “You go on ahead of me Satan, I’m right behind you.”
- The deluxe version of Keith Urban‘s album Get Closer, previously exclusive to Target stores, was added to iTunes yesterday. Urban also owns one of this week’s free iTunes downloads with the song “Georgia Woods.” Another song on Urban’s album, “The Luxury of Knowing,” was written by songwriter Lori McKenna, who included her version on her latest album, Lorraine. Neither version is free (download it anyways, it’s worth it), but you can get her song “Buy This Town,” from the same album, at no charge.
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …