Garth Brooks Returns; Betty Cody Passes Away; New Music Videos
- Garth Brooks is back, and holding a press conference on Thursday at noon to announce whatever it is that he’s got planned. (warning: autoplay)
- Brooks’ upcoming Ireland tour may be in jeopardy after officials only granted licenses for three of the planned five shows.
- Kenny Loggins made the announcement that he and the rest of the Blue Sky Riders are going the Kickstarter route in lieu of chasing a record deal.
- Meghan Linsey, formerly of Steel Magnolia, reached her crowd-sourcing goal on PledgeMusic and will release her debut solo album this week.
- Rolling Stone Country put together a photo gallery of Craig Morgan’s most-recent USO trip to Afghanistan.
- The dedicated C.M. Wilcox has a new Quotable Country feature up over at Country California.
- I counted down my favorite albums and songs of the first half of 2014 over at That Nashville Sound. What are yours?
- Stream Trampled By Turtles’ Wild Animal at NPR.
- Peter Cooper wrote another great column at The Tennessean, this time about David Olney.
- The City of Pittsburgh wants to change their current policies in order to prevent massive cleanups like the ones that followed Kenny Chesney and Luke Bryan’s Steel City concerts. Two ideas that local authorities have proposed include putting a time limit on tailgating and requiring promoters put down a deposit to help cover cleaning costs.
- Kenny Rogers stars in a new Geico commercial.
- Jimmy Wayne outlined details about his upcoming autobiography, Walk to Beautiful, at The Boot.
- Gas Monkey Garage/Gas Monkey Bar ‘N Grill owner and Discover Channel personality Richard Rawlings says David Allan Coe tried to extort his club. According to Rawlings, Coe wanted more money to perform outside. The show ended up getting canceled.
- Eric Church has released a 19-minute short film that ties together all the music videos he’s released for songs from The Outsiders.
- Motley Crue digs the spin that The Mavericks put on “Dr. Feelgood.”
- Mother Jones has published an interview of Holly Williams. An excerpt: “It’s not that I see myself operating outside of country music in that I don’t like it, or I don’t want to be there. I’d like to think that my music would be played on country radio if it were the ’90s, when they had a lot more singer-songwriters on there, like Lyle Lovett and Mary Chapin Carpenter. Now it’s all that “bro-country,” with Daisy Dukes, beer, tailgating, and fireworks. So everybody calls me an Americana artist or singer-songwriter, along with those people who are not mainstream enough for country radio today. I think “The Highway” is a country song, but radio doesn’t hear it that way, so I’m just living on the outskirts.”
- BusinessWeek.com looks at Miranda Lambert’s growing business empire.
- 1950s RCA Records artist and Maine Country Music Hall of Famer Betty Cody passed away last Tuesday at the age of 92. (warning: autoplay)
- James Taylor came in at No. 24 on CMT’s All-Time Top 40: Artists’ Choice.
- Former One Flew South bandmates Eddie Bush and Chris Roberts wrote a new song for Bush’s forthcoming album; you can preview it here.
- New music videos from the past week or so:
Parker Milsap – “Heaven Sent” (Live from Mountain Stage)
Frank Solivan and Dirty Kitchen – “She Said She Will” (Live performance for WAMU’s Bluegrass Country)
Corb Lund – “Counterfeiter’s Blues”
Old Crow Medicine Show – “Sweet Amarillo”
The Easy Leaves – “The American”
Goodnight, Texas – “A Bank Robber’s Nursery Rhyme”
Kenny Chesney – “American Kids”
Ark Life – “Proud of Me Out There, Mama”
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …