Garth Brooks Returns; Betty Cody Passes Away; New Music Videos
- Garth Brooks is back, and holding a press conference on Thursday at noon to announce whatever it is that he’s got planned. (warning: autoplay)
- Brooks’ upcoming Ireland tour may be in jeopardy after officials only granted licenses for three of the planned five shows.
- Kenny Loggins made the announcement that he and the rest of the Blue Sky Riders are going the Kickstarter route in lieu of chasing a record deal.
- Meghan Linsey, formerly of Steel Magnolia, reached her crowd-sourcing goal on PledgeMusic and will release her debut solo album this week.
- Rolling Stone Country put together a photo gallery of Craig Morgan’s most-recent USO trip to Afghanistan.
- The dedicated C.M. Wilcox has a new Quotable Country feature up over at Country California.
- I counted down my favorite albums and songs of the first half of 2014 over at That Nashville Sound. What are yours?
- Stream Trampled By Turtles’ Wild Animal at NPR.
- Peter Cooper wrote another great column at The Tennessean, this time about David Olney.
- The City of Pittsburgh wants to change their current policies in order to prevent massive cleanups like the ones that followed Kenny Chesney and Luke Bryan’s Steel City concerts. Two ideas that local authorities have proposed include putting a time limit on tailgating and requiring promoters put down a deposit to help cover cleaning costs.
- Kenny Rogers stars in a new Geico commercial.
- Jimmy Wayne outlined details about his upcoming autobiography, Walk to Beautiful, at The Boot.
- Gas Monkey Garage/Gas Monkey Bar ‘N Grill owner and Discover Channel personality Richard Rawlings says David Allan Coe tried to extort his club. According to Rawlings, Coe wanted more money to perform outside. The show ended up getting canceled.
- Eric Church has released a 19-minute short film that ties together all the music videos he’s released for songs from The Outsiders.
- Motley Crue digs the spin that The Mavericks put on “Dr. Feelgood.”
- Mother Jones has published an interview of Holly Williams. An excerpt: “It’s not that I see myself operating outside of country music in that I don’t like it, or I don’t want to be there. I’d like to think that my music would be played on country radio if it were the ’90s, when they had a lot more singer-songwriters on there, like Lyle Lovett and Mary Chapin Carpenter. Now it’s all that “bro-country,” with Daisy Dukes, beer, tailgating, and fireworks. So everybody calls me an Americana artist or singer-songwriter, along with those people who are not mainstream enough for country radio today. I think “The Highway” is a country song, but radio doesn’t hear it that way, so I’m just living on the outskirts.”
- BusinessWeek.com looks at Miranda Lambert’s growing business empire.
- 1950s RCA Records artist and Maine Country Music Hall of Famer Betty Cody passed away last Tuesday at the age of 92. (warning: autoplay)
- James Taylor came in at No. 24 on CMT’s All-Time Top 40: Artists’ Choice.
- Former One Flew South bandmates Eddie Bush and Chris Roberts wrote a new song for Bush’s forthcoming album; you can preview it here.
- New music videos from the past week or so:
Parker Milsap – “Heaven Sent” (Live from Mountain Stage)
Frank Solivan and Dirty Kitchen – “She Said She Will” (Live performance for WAMU’s Bluegrass Country)
Corb Lund – “Counterfeiter’s Blues”
Old Crow Medicine Show – “Sweet Amarillo”
The Easy Leaves – “The American”
Goodnight, Texas – “A Bank Robber’s Nursery Rhyme”
Kenny Chesney – “American Kids”
Ark Life – “Proud of Me Out There, Mama”
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.
- lindsay thomas: Wife and I saw these guys last Thursday night, (7-24-14) at the Ryman in Nashville. What a show. …
- Donald: I'm guessing that is meant to read 're-release' Detroit to Wheeling, as the double album originally appeared on Pinecastle in …
- Michael A.: Has anyone else had a difficult time trying to get the free download from the Reba site?
- Dave D.: I can't believe that I never saw the Willie Nelson Monk episode - and it was a Sharona episode, as …
- nm: Taylor Swift was on CSI once. Not only was Steve Earle on The Wire, in one episode Omar quoted him about …
- Barry Mazor: It's only a slight stretch to recall when Jimmy Dean met James Bond: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbwDGtj84YY
- Arlene: I suspect you'll also be including an episode of L.A. Law....
- luckyoldsun: The Johnny Cash episode was the one Columbo case where you really felt "the b--- had it coming."