From Crying to Kiss My Ass; Stream Lady Antebellum; Dale Watson’s Heroes
- Bobby Braddock, the only living songwriter to have No. 1 country songs in five consecutive decades, commented on the changing landscape of country music in an interview with American Songwriter‘s Michael Kosser:
For instance, the song protagonist of, say, the early 1950s is totally different from the one in 2009. For one thing, southerners as a group are different. In those old Hank Williams or Webb Pierce songs, the protagonist was crying. You don’t hear the protagonist crying today. The old protagonist was crying and gettin’ drunk; now they’re gettin’ drunk and partyin’, and singing, “Kiss my ass!” You hear a lot of “my town’s more country than your town.”
- The premier issue of M Music & Musicians magazine is now available.
- If you liked Pierce’s review of The Infamous Stringdusters/Dierks Bentley show at Station Inn, then be sure to check out “17 Cents,” a song Bentley recorded with the band for its forthcoming album.
- Farce the Music parodied the Brad Paisley tune “American Saturday Night” with “Arkansas Saturday Night,” and if anything, its certainly got imagery going for it:
She’s got burnt umber Walmart flip-flops on the cooler on her trailer porch
Listenin’ to “Small Town USA” by her man Justin Moore
She’s half a pack into those Newport Lights, and she’s on her fifth beer
Watching her 6 kids in the yard, with curlers still in her hair
- Preluding next week’s release of the new Lady Antebellum album, the trio is streaming Need You Now in its entirety on MySpace and iLike.
- In a Q&A with The Boston Globe‘s Stuart Munro, Dale Watson listed his top three musical heroes: “I would say Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, and Hank Williams, because they write and sing their own stuff. I would have thought about putting Ray Price in there as a singer, but if I were to have just three to take it would be those three.”
- Blake Shelton announced the track list for his new album, Hillbilly Bone, due out on March 2. (via press release)
1. Hillbilly Bone
2. Kiss My Country Ass
3. You’ll Always Be Beautiful
4. Can’t Afford To Love You
6. Almost Alright
- Tim McGraw and Tom Douglas are scheduled to release their second children’s book next month.
- Lonestar is back with its first studio album in four years, Party Heard Around The World, due out on April 27. It’s the first album for the group since lead singer Richie McDonald left.
- Ray Wylie Hubbard‘s new record received a full-five mudflap ladies from Twang Nation.
- Michael Martin Murphey on son Ryan Murphey‘s Grammy nomination for producing his bluegrass album:
“I called his wife,” Michael said. “He was workin’ in school, and I can’t ever reach him when he’s teaching. She called the principal, and by the time the class was about to be out, the principal announced over the school p.a. system, ‘Mr. Murphey has a Grammy [nomination],’ and he was totally swamped by every student in the school. And he broke down cryin’ because he had no idea.”
Music Fog: Band of Heathens – “Golden Calf”
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.