Friday Five: Wendy Colonna
Soulful Americana singer-songwriter Wendy Colonna’s 2013 album, Nectar, might have slipped under a few radars, but it’s worth seeking out for a few spins. Here’s one of the tracks:
Since we’re pretty nosy when it comes to other people’s record collections, we recently caught up with Colonna and asked her what she’s been listening to.
5. John Fullbright — From the Ground Up
This brilliant, fearless album is perfect storm of tear-you-apart ballads and clever southern rock and groove.
4. Gregory Alan Isakov — This Empty Northern Hemisphere
Gregory Alan’s voice is my Prozac. I am instantly calmed and softened when I hear him sing. . . and his tunes are beautiful nuggets of poetry wrapped in wistful melodies that tug at your heart. I love that he has the courage to deliver such soft tunes that hold their potency and draw a listener in.
3. Delbert & Glen — their old recordings from the early 70s
We found two out-of-print Delbert & Glen CDs in a used record shop in Gent, Belgium in 2008. They’re 40-year-old recordings and they are perfect. Not only are these songs catchy and smart, but these guys carved out a genre that blended blues, gospel, soul, country and tight harmonies without worrying about fitting in. They had something really special.
2. Jackson Browne
Just everything. I love the way he writes: descending melodies and such personal writing, yet his music is still so universally accessible.
1. Joni Mitchell — Court and Spark
It just doesn’t get more vulnerable and crafty than this album. I return to it time after time for inspiration and courage.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.