Friday Five: Wendy Colonna
Soulful Americana singer-songwriter Wendy Colonna’s 2013 album, Nectar, might have slipped under a few radars, but it’s worth seeking out for a few spins. Here’s one of the tracks:
Since we’re pretty nosy when it comes to other people’s record collections, we recently caught up with Colonna and asked her what she’s been listening to.
5. John Fullbright — From the Ground Up
This brilliant, fearless album is perfect storm of tear-you-apart ballads and clever southern rock and groove.
4. Gregory Alan Isakov — This Empty Northern Hemisphere
Gregory Alan’s voice is my Prozac. I am instantly calmed and softened when I hear him sing. . . and his tunes are beautiful nuggets of poetry wrapped in wistful melodies that tug at your heart. I love that he has the courage to deliver such soft tunes that hold their potency and draw a listener in.
3. Delbert & Glen — their old recordings from the early 70s
We found two out-of-print Delbert & Glen CDs in a used record shop in Gent, Belgium in 2008. They’re 40-year-old recordings and they are perfect. Not only are these songs catchy and smart, but these guys carved out a genre that blended blues, gospel, soul, country and tight harmonies without worrying about fitting in. They had something really special.
2. Jackson Browne
Just everything. I love the way he writes: descending melodies and such personal writing, yet his music is still so universally accessible.
1. Joni Mitchell — Court and Spark
It just doesn’t get more vulnerable and crafty than this album. I return to it time after time for inspiration and courage.
- Leeann Ward: Way to go to David Cantwell for getting a name drop! Great interview, Juli! Womack's new album is awesome! I've not always …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: Great interview as always, Juli! The new album is fantastic. "Same Kind of Different" is my favorite cut although "Fly" is …
- Dave D.: Good interview. Looking forward to the new record, and particularly interested in hearing her version of Brennen Leigh's "Sleeping with …
- nm: I guess it's not surprising that a singer who gets her songs all over the place, the way Womack does, …
- SunsetPark: As a Pennsylvanian to this day, thanks for the list. I haven't heard the Quecreek song and so can't …
- Paul W Dennis: I would urge readers to check out the Billy Edd Wheeler salute on October 18, 2014. Billy Edd Wheeler is …
- Leeann Ward: I'm really liking Pink's folk duo song! I'm looking forward to the album!
- Donald: LOS, you made me giggle. Thank you.
- luckyoldsun: An in related news, an E.P.A. inspector is preparing to slap the cuffs on Nancy Jones tomorrow.
- luckyoldsun: Looks like old Lynn is not done saying "I beg your pardon..."