Friday Five: Wedding Bell Blues
Love has been in the air recently among the world of country music. Jake Owen recently said “I do.” Carter’s Chord member Becky Robertson just got married last weekend. Lady Antebellum’s Dave Haywood got married just a couple weeks back, Lee Brice got engaged, and LeAnn Rimes renewed her vows on her first anniversary. Depending on which side of the fence you’re on, that either gives you the warm and fuzzies or gives you a funny little taste in the back of your throat. Today, we’ll drop the needle on the B-side of that record and celebrate a few of those many, many songs that don’t end in happily ever after.
You couldn’t have thought that the queen of classic country heartache was going to sing a song of wedded bliss, did you?
4. Waylon Jennings – “I’m Gonna Marry Polly Ann”
The outlaw known as Waylon Jennings that says he’s going to rescue Polly Ann, a woman who has been accused of killing a man.Jennings’ protagonist does the same when a man comes and tries to steal away his future bride.
Written and recorded back in 1958, this little rockabilly number laments the fact that the singer is on the outside looking in, watching the love of his life marry someone else.
“Supposed to be a funeral/ It’s been a bad, bad day” really says it all. As sad as Gram Parson’s own life story was, a tragic singer singing a tragic song doubles up on the pain.
“She broke his heart with a piece of paper/She changed her mind/She said she had the right.” Wanda rocks.
- Greg Howe: I enjoy the many fall festivals in southwest Ohio.
- Elizabeth Linder: I love sitting by a bond fire with my husband making s'mores and drinking hot chocolate.
- Jeremy Dylan: One might say that a good way to pay tribute to RCA Studio a would be to not demolish it …
- willard willams: Oct. 10, as that is our wedding anniversary. Will be 50 years and I still remember.
- Both Kinds of Music: What an excellent team-up.
- Pam Wallace: A day like yesterday,...driving through Ohio countryside with leaves beginning to turn and cows lying in the pastures because every …
- Jackie Lester: My favorite part of autumn is seeing wooly bear caterpillars!
- Mike harris: Love fall with the warm glow of the sun and all the beautiful fall colors
- Richrd Simerson: Love good old bluegrass music
- Six String Richie: Studio A will be replaced with a dog park, condos and restaurants. Gentrification at it's finest.