Friday Five: Wedding Bell Blues
Love has been in the air recently among the world of country music. Jake Owen recently said “I do.” Carter’s Chord member Becky Robertson just got married last weekend. Lady Antebellum’s Dave Haywood got married just a couple weeks back, Lee Brice got engaged, and LeAnn Rimes renewed her vows on her first anniversary. Depending on which side of the fence you’re on, that either gives you the warm and fuzzies or gives you a funny little taste in the back of your throat. Today, we’ll drop the needle on the B-side of that record and celebrate a few of those many, many songs that don’t end in happily ever after.
You couldn’t have thought that the queen of classic country heartache was going to sing a song of wedded bliss, did you?
4. Waylon Jennings – “I’m Gonna Marry Polly Ann”
The outlaw known as Waylon Jennings that says he’s going to rescue Polly Ann, a woman who has been accused of killing a man.Jennings’ protagonist does the same when a man comes and tries to steal away his future bride.
Written and recorded back in 1958, this little rockabilly number laments the fact that the singer is on the outside looking in, watching the love of his life marry someone else.
“Supposed to be a funeral/ It’s been a bad, bad day” really says it all. As sad as Gram Parson’s own life story was, a tragic singer singing a tragic song doubles up on the pain.
“She broke his heart with a piece of paper/She changed her mind/She said she had the right.” Wanda rocks.
- luckyoldsun: Someone should do a feature on the current "next generation" sons-of-superstar country artists--Hank III, Shooter Jennings, Bobby Bare Jr., Dean …
- Jack: Not impressed by Justin Townes Earle's low view of country music.
- nm: Does anyone know whatever became of the album that Shelby Lynne and Allison Moorer were going to do together?
- luckyoldsun: I'm not surprised. Artists who can't get seem to get a satisfactory deal with a commercial label always say how …
- Jack Williams: I'm a little surprised to hear of Shelby Lynne signing with another label, even if it is Rounder. She …
- A.B.: THREE new albums from Sturgill next year?! I'm excited for that!
- Keith Samuels: I can't wait to listen to the entire recording. What a treasure.
- numberonecountryfan: She did say the version of “How Do I Live” is the “country” version which was previously released to radio …
- bll: I'm happy for any new music from Trisha. I hope MCA doesn't decide to repackage her old stuff and release …
- Barry Mazor: I know for a fact that most of the album was recorded fresh and new with Garth Fundis some months …