Friday Five: Waylon Jennings Duets
Waylon Jennings would have celebrated his 76th birthday tomorrow (hopefully this extra day of notice will give you enough time to plan a proper tribute, whether it’s donating to The Waylon Jennings Fund for Diabetes Research, baking cupcakes–sugar-free, of course–or covering your Telecaster in leather). Today, let’s take a look at a few favorite duets Waylon appeared on over the course of his career. What are your favorites?
7. “Ain’t No Road”
This duet with Big Bird was my first exposure to Waylon, as I imagine it was for many kids born in the ‘80s.
6. “Spanish Johnny”
Perhaps this collaboration with Emmylou Harris isn’t one of Waylon’s best-known duets, but it sure should be.
5. “Night Life”
This one’s on the Possum’s My Very Special Guests album from the late ’70s.
4. “I Got You”
This duet with the fantastic Anita Carter hit No. 4 in 1968.
3. “Ain’t No Good Chain Gang”
A fantastic duet with Johnny Cash that also shares some helpful advice: “You don’t go writin’ hot checks down in Mississippi / And there ain’t no good chain gang.”
2. “Good Hearted Woman”
Jennings recorded a solo version of this song before he recorded it with Willie, but any time I hear the two of them singing together, it makes me smile. Check out the band and harmony singers on this video: not too shabby.
1. “Storms Never Last”
Jennings and Colter sang a number of duets together, but this is their sweetest.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.