Friday Five: Wade Hayes
Wade Hayes, the Oklahoma native celebrating his 42nd birthday today, has found himself making news for all the wrong reasons lately. He was recently diagnosed with Stage IV colon cancer and is currently battling the debilitating disease. From 1994 to 1998, few artists were as popular on the charts as Hayes. He charted 11 hits and six of those were top tens. But he’s been extremely active since that time as well. He’s played lead guitar for Randy Owen and released an outstanding and critically acclaimed independent album, Place to Turn Around, in 2009. With today’s Friday Five, let’s celebrate one of the good guys in country music and send well wishes for a full and speedy recovery.
5. “Wichita Lineman”
Hayes has a great feel for this Glen Campbell cover that was released as a single, but never on an album, in between his second and third albums.
A remarkable four singles made the top ten off of Hayes’ first album, Old Enough to Know Better. This was number three.
This song was Hayes’ first country music radio release and it remains his sole Number One hit.
Little did Hayes know that when Miss USA runner-up and future Survivor contestant Danni Boatwright was cast in this video, he’d end up marrying her. (They divorced after a four-year marriage.)
Hayes dropped out of college to follow his country music dreams after watching Ricky Skaggs perform live at the 1991 ACM Awards. Anyone moved by Skaggs to that degree is tops in our book. This slow ballad shows off the rich baritone drawl that Hayes is best known for. Hopefully, we’ll hear more new music from Hayes in the near future.
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …
- nm: Agreed. A good job by three very smart women.
- Deremy Jylan: The Hight piece is tremendous reading.
- Juli Thanki: Much like the music of Aldean and FGL, Michelob Ultra is favored by college kids and too much exposure will …
- Tom: ...michelob ultra seems to be a brew from hell.
- luckyoldsun: Maybe he was just changing out of his hunting clothes. At least he didn't do the full Randy...um Monty.
- Donald: If you haven't heard...this one is a bit bizarre: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/johnny-cash-s-son-arrested-at-deer-lake-airport-after-removing-his-clothes-1.2814697?cmp=rss I think the link says almost all....