Friday Five: Vince Gill
Country Music Hall of Famer Vince Gill turns 56 today. Over his long career, he’s played in bluegrass bands Mountain Smoke and Ricky Skaggs’ Boone Creek, fronted Pure Prairie League, been offered a chance to join the rock band Dire Straits, and played in the Western swing band The Time Jumpers. Along the way, he won 18 CMA Awards and 20 Grammy Awards. Let’s celebrate today with five of our favorite Vince Gill songs. What are yours?
5. “High Lonesome Sound”
Never has there been a song title that more aptly described the singer’s vocal delivery.
4. “I Still Believe in You”
This was the title track of an album Gill released in 1992; the single hit Number One on the country charts and even crossed over to the Adult Contemporary charts.
3. “When I Call Your Name”
This was the title track from his 1990 album; the single featured Patty Loveless on background vocals and Matraca Berg in the music video.
2. “One More Last Chance”
Vince Gill in the Bluegrass Underground. Who knew country heaven was under our feet?
1. “Go Rest High on That Mountain”
With Ricky Skaggs and Patty Loveless (again) on background vocals, Gill’s song, which he began writing after Keith Whitley passed away and finished after his older brother’s death, is one of the all-time great country songs. It won CMA Song of the Year honors in 1996, though it never even cracked the top ten on the country charts.
- Leeann: Great news about Ricky Skaggs and Sharon White's duet album! Absolutely appalling about the Keith Urban concert!! Both the rape and …
- bob: I found the Billboard article about country music radio needing an alcohol intervention interesting. Songwriter Adam Wright is quoted as …
- Matt: Definitely agree with C.M. about Maddie & Tae. Certainly not the tidal wave of change some claimed it is or …
- Dave D.: Good stuff, as always. My copy of Producing Country arrived yesterday, and it looks to be as good as …
- Scooter: I agree Holly Williams can do no wrong in my eyes. Such a good album and great to see live …
- Carrie Mclaughlin: Your my Hero Mr. Jim Lauderdale!!! Come to Alaska Please? hehehehe
- Jeremy Dylan: You should check it out Dave D. It's from the first (and strongest) season.
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.
- lindsay thomas: Wife and I saw these guys last Thursday night, (7-24-14) at the Ryman in Nashville. What a show. …