Friday Five: Vince Gill
Country Music Hall of Famer Vince Gill turns 56 today. Over his long career, he’s played in bluegrass bands Mountain Smoke and Ricky Skaggs’ Boone Creek, fronted Pure Prairie League, been offered a chance to join the rock band Dire Straits, and played in the Western swing band The Time Jumpers. Along the way, he won 18 CMA Awards and 20 Grammy Awards. Let’s celebrate today with five of our favorite Vince Gill songs. What are yours?
5. “High Lonesome Sound”
Never has there been a song title that more aptly described the singer’s vocal delivery.
4. “I Still Believe in You”
This was the title track of an album Gill released in 1992; the single hit Number One on the country charts and even crossed over to the Adult Contemporary charts.
3. “When I Call Your Name”
This was the title track from his 1990 album; the single featured Patty Loveless on background vocals and Matraca Berg in the music video.
2. “One More Last Chance”
Vince Gill in the Bluegrass Underground. Who knew country heaven was under our feet?
1. “Go Rest High on That Mountain”
With Ricky Skaggs and Patty Loveless (again) on background vocals, Gill’s song, which he began writing after Keith Whitley passed away and finished after his older brother’s death, is one of the all-time great country songs. It won CMA Song of the Year honors in 1996, though it never even cracked the top ten on the country charts.
- Jack: The Everly Brothers "Song Our Daddy Taught Us" and "Roots" LPs look good.
- Juli Thanki: Indeed, Richie. Leslie Knope is my spirit animal.
- Six String Richie: That Parks & Rec. clip was perfection! Everybody reading this blog should watch it even if they don't watch the …
- Ben Foster: I'm coveting Dolly Parton's "Blue Smoke" 45.
- Barry Mazor: Speculation is free!
- Jack: Taste of Country has a pretty shallow point of view, and this little blurb is exhibit A.
- Leeann Ward: It is admittedly fun to speculate about these things.
- luckyoldsun: I wonder if the key to learning Gong Kwon Yu Sul is to be higher than a kite. lol
- luckyoldsun: Barry, I didn't say or imply that I have superior knowledge about the nominating process or workings--I'm just willing to make …
- CraigR.: After watching Easton Corbin's video I am left wondering where the man who made " I'm A Little Bit More …