Friday Five: Vince Gill
Country Music Hall of Famer Vince Gill turns 56 today. Over his long career, he’s played in bluegrass bands Mountain Smoke and Ricky Skaggs’ Boone Creek, fronted Pure Prairie League, been offered a chance to join the rock band Dire Straits, and played in the Western swing band The Time Jumpers. Along the way, he won 18 CMA Awards and 20 Grammy Awards. Let’s celebrate today with five of our favorite Vince Gill songs. What are yours?
5. “High Lonesome Sound”
Never has there been a song title that more aptly described the singer’s vocal delivery.
4. “I Still Believe in You”
This was the title track of an album Gill released in 1992; the single hit Number One on the country charts and even crossed over to the Adult Contemporary charts.
3. “When I Call Your Name”
This was the title track from his 1990 album; the single featured Patty Loveless on background vocals and Matraca Berg in the music video.
2. “One More Last Chance”
Vince Gill in the Bluegrass Underground. Who knew country heaven was under our feet?
1. “Go Rest High on That Mountain”
With Ricky Skaggs and Patty Loveless (again) on background vocals, Gill’s song, which he began writing after Keith Whitley passed away and finished after his older brother’s death, is one of the all-time great country songs. It won CMA Song of the Year honors in 1996, though it never even cracked the top ten on the country charts.
- Elizabeth Linder: I love sitting by a bond fire with my husband making s'mores and drinking hot chocolate.
- Jeremy Dylan: One might say that a good way to pay tribute to RCA Studio a would be to not demolish it …
- willard willams: Oct. 10, as that is our wedding anniversary. Will be 50 years and I still remember.
- Both Kinds of Music: What an excellent team-up.
- Pam Wallace: A day like yesterday,...driving through Ohio countryside with leaves beginning to turn and cows lying in the pastures because every …
- Jackie Lester: My favorite part of autumn is seeing wooly bear caterpillars!
- Mike harris: Love fall with the warm glow of the sun and all the beautiful fall colors
- Richrd Simerson: Love good old bluegrass music
- Six String Richie: Studio A will be replaced with a dog park, condos and restaurants. Gentrification at it's finest.
- Denise Vernon: Full moon with smell of leaves burning.