Friday Five: The O.K. Corral
On this day way back in 1881 in Tombstone, Arizona, outlaw cowboys Billy Clanton, Tom McLaury and his brother Frank McLaury were shot and killed by opposing lawmen Virgil Earp and his brothers Morgan and Wyatt Earp, along with temporary deputy Doc Holliday. It would eventually be known as the Gunfight at O.K. Corral. The real story of who instigated the shootout will probably never be known. More than a dozen movies have been filmed about the lawless town and famous killing. Here are five songs that pay tribute to the Old West’s most famous story.
5. Johnny Cash – “The Ballad of Boot Hill”
Written by Carl Perkins, this tune was on Cash’s 1965 album, Sings the Ballads of the True West.
4. Johnny Cash – “The Legend of Wyatt Earp”
Johnny Cash sings the opening credits for the 1994 film Wyatt Earp–Return to Tombstone starring Hugh O’Brien.
3. Frankie Laine – “Gunfight at the O.K. Corral”
Laine sung the opening song and title track from the 1957 movie of the same name starring Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas.
2. Bobby Barnett – “Wyatt Earp”
Barnett covered this and many other Old West stories; this one can be found on American Heroes & Western Legends.
1. Hank Williams, Jr. – “Doc Holliday”
Pre-beard, Bocephus released this back in 1965 on his Ballads of the Hills and Plains album.
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."
- Jack Williams: Lynch Blues - Corey Harris Countrycide (The Ballad of Ed and Charlie Brown) - Alvin Youngblood Hart Divine Object of Hatred - …
- TexasVet: Marty Robbins - The Hanging Tree https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xczpRc6_yBA
- Janice Brooks: Nice lineup I think I read today was the Emmett Till incident.
- Juli Thanki: For $2,000, I'd want to ride a unicorn in Central Park with Chely.
- luckyoldsun: Leann- I've biked a lot of laps around Central Park over the years. If I thought it would get me to …