Friday Five: The O.K. Corral
On this day way back in 1881 in Tombstone, Arizona, outlaw cowboys Billy Clanton, Tom McLaury and his brother Frank McLaury were shot and killed by opposing lawmen Virgil Earp and his brothers Morgan and Wyatt Earp, along with temporary deputy Doc Holliday. It would eventually be known as the Gunfight at O.K. Corral. The real story of who instigated the shootout will probably never be known. More than a dozen movies have been filmed about the lawless town and famous killing. Here are five songs that pay tribute to the Old West’s most famous story.
5. Johnny Cash – “The Ballad of Boot Hill”
Written by Carl Perkins, this tune was on Cash’s 1965 album, Sings the Ballads of the True West.
4. Johnny Cash – “The Legend of Wyatt Earp”
Johnny Cash sings the opening credits for the 1994 film Wyatt Earp–Return to Tombstone starring Hugh O’Brien.
3. Frankie Laine – “Gunfight at the O.K. Corral”
Laine sung the opening song and title track from the 1957 movie of the same name starring Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas.
2. Bobby Barnett – “Wyatt Earp”
Barnett covered this and many other Old West stories; this one can be found on American Heroes & Western Legends.
1. Hank Williams, Jr. – “Doc Holliday”
Pre-beard, Bocephus released this back in 1965 on his Ballads of the Hills and Plains album.
- nm: I enjoyed that Nashville recap from the Fug Girls, but the absolutely best recaps are in the Nashville Scene, by …
- Donald: "Don't Forget the Coffee, Billy Joe" is just one of my many favourites!
- paul w dennis: My favorite TTH sings are "I Can't Dance" and St. Louis Named A Shoe After Me" Of course, that just …
- luckyoldsun: Actually, it strikes me as a rather iffy subject for a museum. What kind of exhibits would they have? Jones …
- Tom: ...good idea, a george jones museum in nashville. is there a building tall enough for a voice and a career …
- mrsandy: Also worth noting: Priscilla Mitchell was Jerry Reed's widow.
- Leeann Ward: Wow! My heart goes out to Allison Moorer. She's had so many terrible things happen in her life. It's too …
- Leeann Ward: I must have this audio book!
- Juli Thanki: Ha! Same thing happened at Sturgill Simpson's show I went to last month, only he was singing "I Never Go …
- Dave D.: On the topic of Lee Ann and dark songs, the funniest moment at this year's Americana Fest was during her …