Friday Five: The O.K. Corral
On this day way back in 1881 in Tombstone, Arizona, outlaw cowboys Billy Clanton, Tom McLaury and his brother Frank McLaury were shot and killed by opposing lawmen Virgil Earp and his brothers Morgan and Wyatt Earp, along with temporary deputy Doc Holliday. It would eventually be known as the Gunfight at O.K. Corral. The real story of who instigated the shootout will probably never be known. More than a dozen movies have been filmed about the lawless town and famous killing. Here are five songs that pay tribute to the Old West’s most famous story.
5. Johnny Cash – “The Ballad of Boot Hill”
Written by Carl Perkins, this tune was on Cash’s 1965 album, Sings the Ballads of the True West.
4. Johnny Cash – “The Legend of Wyatt Earp”
Johnny Cash sings the opening credits for the 1994 film Wyatt Earp–Return to Tombstone starring Hugh O’Brien.
3. Frankie Laine – “Gunfight at the O.K. Corral”
Laine sung the opening song and title track from the 1957 movie of the same name starring Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas.
2. Bobby Barnett – “Wyatt Earp”
Barnett covered this and many other Old West stories; this one can be found on American Heroes & Western Legends.
1. Hank Williams, Jr. – “Doc Holliday”
Pre-beard, Bocephus released this back in 1965 on his Ballads of the Hills and Plains album.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.