Friday Five: Texas Towns
Just because everything is bigger in Texas doesn’t mean that today’s Friday Five will be a Friday Six. Rules are rules. This edition of the Friday Five, however, will have a uniquely Lone Star State type of feel–five songs that deal with Texas towns.
Josh Abbott Band’s brand new single, “She’s Like Texas” got my head spinning on this subject and, truly, this list could be about as wide as the state itself. Abbott’s song calls out five different Texas cities but, alas, it didn’t have a reference to a town in the title so it was left off of this play list. Bands that included references to the great state and towns like Little Texas, Houston County and LoneStar were left out as well. This is all about the towns of Texas. How else would any of us non-Texas natives know where “Luckenbach, Texas” is?
Some other honorable mentions included “San Antonio Rose” by Patsy Cline, “Houston, We Have A Problem” by Joe Diffie and “Ballad Of The Alamo” by Asleep At The Wheel. What’s your favorite song referencing a Texas town?
- Kathy Gaddis: Very very nice!
- bob: Good day with news of PrizeFighter Trisha and Drunken Martina.
- John Fuller: Oh yeah!! Crispy sweet!
- Rick Mifflin: Sublime
- Leeann: Very nice!
- luckyoldsun: Paul, Good info. It's pretty disgraceful that Billboard editors can't even get musical history remotely right regarding even their own publication. The …
- Juli Thanki: Yep, I'll be there. Looking forward to it!
- Leeann: Wow! The Look Again to the Wind: Johnny Cash’s Bitter Tears Revisited album is so good!
- Jack Williams: I was also there on Saturday, Juli. I really liked Angeleena Presley's set, too. Marty and the boys …
- Jack Williams: I heard the guy who made the documentary talks funny. That's great news. I'll definitely buy a copy …