Friday Five: Texas Towns
Just because everything is bigger in Texas doesn’t mean that today’s Friday Five will be a Friday Six. Rules are rules. This edition of the Friday Five, however, will have a uniquely Lone Star State type of feel–five songs that deal with Texas towns.
Josh Abbott Band’s brand new single, “She’s Like Texas” got my head spinning on this subject and, truly, this list could be about as wide as the state itself. Abbott’s song calls out five different Texas cities but, alas, it didn’t have a reference to a town in the title so it was left off of this play list. Bands that included references to the great state and towns like Little Texas, Houston County and LoneStar were left out as well. This is all about the towns of Texas. How else would any of us non-Texas natives know where “Luckenbach, Texas” is?
Some other honorable mentions included “San Antonio Rose” by Patsy Cline, “Houston, We Have A Problem” by Joe Diffie and “Ballad Of The Alamo” by Asleep At The Wheel. What’s your favorite song referencing a Texas town?
- Michael A.: Has anyone else had a difficult time trying to get the free download from the Reba site?
- Dave D.: I can't believe that I never saw the Willie Nelson Monk episode - and it was a Sharona episode, as …
- nm: Taylor Swift was on CSI once. Not only was Steve Earle on The Wire, in one episode Omar quoted him about …
- Barry Mazor: It's only a slight stretch to recall when Jimmy Dean met James Bond: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbwDGtj84YY
- Arlene: I suspect you'll also be including an episode of L.A. Law....
- luckyoldsun: The Johnny Cash episode was the one Columbo case where you really felt "the b--- had it coming."
- A.B.: Janice - I saw that too and sent him a Tweet about it.
- Janice Brooks: Peter Cooper needs an edit. Stringbean did not die in 1964.
- Leeann: I can't contribute to this list, but I did think of Steve Earle and The Wire. It's not my …
- Jeremy Dylan: That was a great episode of Monk. The "Georgia On My Mind" scene is just heartbreaking.