Friday Five: Stockings
The legend of the Christmas stocking is almost as old as the stories of Santa Claus himself.
Rumor has it that many years ago, a very poor man had no money for the dowries of his three beautiful daughters. He was worried how they would fare after he passed if none of them were married. Saint Nicholas overheard the villagers whispering about the girls, and knowing that the old man wouldn’t accept charity, crept in through the chimney and put three bags of gold coins in each of the stockings that the girls had hung on the mantelpiece to dry. The girls found the coins on Christmas morning, got married and lived happily ever after.
If that story is a bit old-fashioned for you, then take heart that there might have been even more songs written about the other kinds of stockings: sheer, fishnet, thigh-high and seamless. Take your pick this holiday season. We’ve got a little of each in this week’s Friday Five.
5. Black Jack Wayne — “Red Silk Stockings and the Green Perfume”
Northern California native Black Jack Wayne was a western pioneer in the 1950s by hosting an all-Western radio station KVSM out of San Mateo. He also had a one-hour television show on Stockton/Sacramento KOVR with the Bar 10 Ranch Boys.
4. Frankie Avalon – “From Bobby Sox to Stockings”
Released back in 1959, this top ten hit touched upon the leg wear that signified the transition from girl to woman.
3. The Andrews Sisters — “Dance with the Dolly with the Hole in Her Stockings”
LaVerne, Patricia and Maxene Andrews sold a whopping 75 million records over their long and illustrious career. That’d make any singer want to dance.
2. Alison Krauss — “Shimmy Down the Chimney (Fill Up My Stocking)”
Alison’s got it bad for Santa in this holiday tune: “You never stay more than a minute, so I’m told / I know you’re just doing your job / But what am I supposed to do? When all I want for Christmas, darling, is to be with you.”
1. Suzanne Vega- Stockings
This one was released on Vega’s Nine Objects of Desire album in 1996. A woman wearing the stockings is one of those objects.
- Leeann Ward: I'll just go ahead and say it. I was impressed with how well Carrie did with the singing. I'm a …
- TexasVet: From MusicRow: Underwood’s ‘The Sound of Music Live!’ Brings In 19.3 Million Viewers earned NBC its biggest audience on the night …
- nm: I'd love to see a version of TSoM that managed to sneak in a new number or two based on …
- Barry Mazor: That any version of "Sound of Music" would be "trying to replace the cats of the movie" is an hysterically …
- TexasVet: The Von Trapps had some stinging comments concerning Underwood’s “Spound of Music” part. I think they pose some legitimate …
- tncheesehead: reading the story behind the Paisley/Underwood lawsuit I would guess that yes the idea was stolen - too many coincidences …
- BRUCE: Interesting lawsuit against Paisley & Underwood plus Sony. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. The Von Trapps …
- Country fan: Hunter is very good, I wish he would do some traditional country music.
- Luckyoldsun: Well, Hunter plays a mean accordion on Jambalaya!
- Country fan: Merle is one of the greatest talents in music.