Friday Five: Stockings
The legend of the Christmas stocking is almost as old as the stories of Santa Claus himself.
Rumor has it that many years ago, a very poor man had no money for the dowries of his three beautiful daughters. He was worried how they would fare after he passed if none of them were married. Saint Nicholas overheard the villagers whispering about the girls, and knowing that the old man wouldn’t accept charity, crept in through the chimney and put three bags of gold coins in each of the stockings that the girls had hung on the mantelpiece to dry. The girls found the coins on Christmas morning, got married and lived happily ever after.
If that story is a bit old-fashioned for you, then take heart that there might have been even more songs written about the other kinds of stockings: sheer, fishnet, thigh-high and seamless. Take your pick this holiday season. We’ve got a little of each in this week’s Friday Five.
5. Black Jack Wayne — “Red Silk Stockings and the Green Perfume”
Northern California native Black Jack Wayne was a western pioneer in the 1950s by hosting an all-Western radio station KVSM out of San Mateo. He also had a one-hour television show on Stockton/Sacramento KOVR with the Bar 10 Ranch Boys.
4. Frankie Avalon – “From Bobby Sox to Stockings”
Released back in 1959, this top ten hit touched upon the leg wear that signified the transition from girl to woman.
3. The Andrews Sisters — “Dance with the Dolly with the Hole in Her Stockings”
LaVerne, Patricia and Maxene Andrews sold a whopping 75 million records over their long and illustrious career. That’d make any singer want to dance.
2. Alison Krauss — “Shimmy Down the Chimney (Fill Up My Stocking)”
Alison’s got it bad for Santa in this holiday tune: “You never stay more than a minute, so I’m told / I know you’re just doing your job / But what am I supposed to do? When all I want for Christmas, darling, is to be with you.”
1. Suzanne Vega- Stockings
This one was released on Vega’s Nine Objects of Desire album in 1996. A woman wearing the stockings is one of those objects.
- Janice Brooks: Hopes somebody gets those memos about drinking songs. Meanwhile I'm feeling a lot of slots with Bluegrass.
- Leeann: Great news about Ricky Skaggs and Sharon White's duet album! Absolutely appalling about the Keith Urban concert!! Both the rape and …
- bob: I found the Billboard article about country music radio needing an alcohol intervention interesting. Songwriter Adam Wright is quoted as …
- Matt: Definitely agree with C.M. about Maddie & Tae. Certainly not the tidal wave of change some claimed it is or …
- Dave D.: Good stuff, as always. My copy of Producing Country arrived yesterday, and it looks to be as good as …
- Scooter: I agree Holly Williams can do no wrong in my eyes. Such a good album and great to see live …
- Carrie Mclaughlin: Your my Hero Mr. Jim Lauderdale!!! Come to Alaska Please? hehehehe
- Jeremy Dylan: You should check it out Dave D. It's from the first (and strongest) season.
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.