Friday Five: Spaceships
The Space Shuttle Discovery has been acquired by the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum and is arriving in the DC area on Tuesday. In honor of its arrival, here are five songs about spacecraft.
5. Billy Bragg & Wilco – “My Flying Saucer”
This is a cut from Mermaid Avenue, Vol. 2, which found Bragg and Wilco once more setting Woody Guthrie’s lyrics to music. Despite its uptempo arrangement, the song is kind of a downer, as the spaceship sails off sans owner.
4. The Byrds – “Mr. Spaceman”
Extraterrestrial encounter or just really good drugs?
3. Ray Stevens – “I Saw Elvis in a UFO”
Elvis, abducted by little pink men because he’s “too good for the human race,” ends up sharing a UFO with, among others, Jimmy Hoffa. Guess that solves that mystery.
2. Buchanan Brothers – “(When You See) Those Flying Saucers”
Brothers Chester and Lester recorded this cautionary tale in 1947, warning that those spaceships may signify “the coming of the Judgment Day.” Dry Branch Fire Squad’s version of the song can be found on Echoes of the Mountain.
1. Hank Snow – “Honeymoon on a Rocket Ship”
That Hank Snow sure could sweet talk a gal: “you could make your wedding gown out of a big moonbeam/Sprinkle stardust in your hair, you’d be a perfect dream.” This song was a #9 hit for Snow in 1953.
- Arlene: I'd have included "Omie Wise." Doc Watson's is the version I'm familiar with but I think it's been recorded by …
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …
- nm: Agreed. A good job by three very smart women.
- Deremy Jylan: The Hight piece is tremendous reading.
- Juli Thanki: Much like the music of Aldean and FGL, Michelob Ultra is favored by college kids and too much exposure will …
- Tom: ...michelob ultra seems to be a brew from hell.