Friday Five: Spaceships
The Space Shuttle Discovery has been acquired by the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum and is arriving in the DC area on Tuesday. In honor of its arrival, here are five songs about spacecraft.
5. Billy Bragg & Wilco – “My Flying Saucer”
This is a cut from Mermaid Avenue, Vol. 2, which found Bragg and Wilco once more setting Woody Guthrie’s lyrics to music. Despite its uptempo arrangement, the song is kind of a downer, as the spaceship sails off sans owner.
4. The Byrds – “Mr. Spaceman”
Extraterrestrial encounter or just really good drugs?
3. Ray Stevens – “I Saw Elvis in a UFO”
Elvis, abducted by little pink men because he’s “too good for the human race,” ends up sharing a UFO with, among others, Jimmy Hoffa. Guess that solves that mystery.
2. Buchanan Brothers – “(When You See) Those Flying Saucers”
Brothers Chester and Lester recorded this cautionary tale in 1947, warning that those spaceships may signify “the coming of the Judgment Day.” Dry Branch Fire Squad’s version of the song can be found on Echoes of the Mountain.
1. Hank Snow – “Honeymoon on a Rocket Ship”
That Hank Snow sure could sweet talk a gal: “you could make your wedding gown out of a big moonbeam/Sprinkle stardust in your hair, you’d be a perfect dream.” This song was a #9 hit for Snow in 1953.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.