Friday Five: Songs About Hank Williams
Tomorrow is Hank Williams’ birthday. He’d be 88. Though he’s been dead twice as long as he was alive, he remains a central figure in the country music consciousness, perhaps due to his mysterious death as much as the masterful lyrics he penned during his too-short career. Unsurprisingly, more than a few songwriters have tackled the Hank Williams legend. Here are a few of my favorites. What are yours?
It’s not the best idea to hitch a ride from a ghostly pale, “half drunk and hollow eyed” stranger in a classic Caddy, but it seemed to work out well in this song.
“Back then they called him crazy/Nowadays they call him a saint/Now the ones that called him crazy/Are still ridin’ on his name.”
3. Ashley Monroe – Hank’s Cadillac
As you’ll hear in the clip below, Monroe wrote this song when she was just 17, imagining what she’d do to keep Hank alive if she were in the car with him on that fateful New Year’s Eve. Based on this and her songwriting on the Pistol Annies album, it seems like she spent a lot of time studying the master.
Burgers cost 30 cents and you got to see Hank Williams sing? There’s something to be said for the good old days.
This song about a ghostly encounter with Williams was penned by Jackson and Don Sampson; in 1992 it hit #3 on the country charts. It’s a fantastic song, and the music video makes it even better.
- Denise Vernon: Full moon with smell of leaves burning.
- Lisa Phillips: Love the Radio Ramblers! My favorite thing about fall is everything pumpkin.....coffee, cookies, muffins, pie.....etc!
- Sabrina Parnell: Def the cooler temps, football, great food , holidays on the way ,and of course more good country music releases.
- Debbie W: the changing colors of the leaves
- joyce King: I love FALL, the day your album Sept.25th is our wedding anniversary 46th!!! We have a fall Bean Supper, …
- Jim Sibley: I like everything about fall! MLB playoffs, football, end of hot, sticky nights, etc, etc. :-)
- Ron Mullins: Cool nights, smell of autumn and colors, and nice feeling in your heart.
- mike mills: Cool night and hunting
- Paul W Dennis: MLB playoffs and the weather here in Florida finally cooling off a little. Also we get the Palatka Bluegrass Festival …
- Tony Branscomb: Peaceful Quiet Days In The Woods Watching Wildlife Playing.