Friday Five: Songs About Hank Williams
Tomorrow is Hank Williams’ birthday. He’d be 88. Though he’s been dead twice as long as he was alive, he remains a central figure in the country music consciousness, perhaps due to his mysterious death as much as the masterful lyrics he penned during his too-short career. Unsurprisingly, more than a few songwriters have tackled the Hank Williams legend. Here are a few of my favorites. What are yours?
It’s not the best idea to hitch a ride from a ghostly pale, “half drunk and hollow eyed” stranger in a classic Caddy, but it seemed to work out well in this song.
“Back then they called him crazy/Nowadays they call him a saint/Now the ones that called him crazy/Are still ridin’ on his name.”
3. Ashley Monroe – Hank’s Cadillac
As you’ll hear in the clip below, Monroe wrote this song when she was just 17, imagining what she’d do to keep Hank alive if she were in the car with him on that fateful New Year’s Eve. Based on this and her songwriting on the Pistol Annies album, it seems like she spent a lot of time studying the master.
Burgers cost 30 cents and you got to see Hank Williams sing? There’s something to be said for the good old days.
This song about a ghostly encounter with Williams was penned by Jackson and Don Sampson; in 1992 it hit #3 on the country charts. It’s a fantastic song, and the music video makes it even better.
- TexasVet: The Von Trapps had some stinging comments concerning Underwood’s “Spound of Music” part. I think they pose some legitimate …
- tncheesehead: reading the story behind the Paisley/Underwood lawsuit I would guess that yes the idea was stolen - too many coincidences …
- BRUCE: Interesting lawsuit against Paisley & Underwood plus Sony. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. The Von Trapps …
- Country fan: Hunter is very good, I wish he would do some traditional country music.
- Luckyoldsun: Well, Hunter plays a mean accordion on Jambalaya!
- Country fan: Merle is one of the greatest talents in music.
- Country fan: Could not agree more with Bruce !
- Janice Brooks: The Kenny and Amanda Smith track is in rotation her. Hoping for a promo from Brennen and Noel.
- SunsetPark: www.dictionary.com today has "5 Famous Words of Country Music" on their front page. It includes honky-tonk (with a reference …
- BRUCE: Florida Georgia Line, Hunter Hayes, Jason Aldean and Luke Bryan. These are the CMT Artists of the Year? Folks, it's …