Friday Five: Reno
The “Biggest Little City in the World” is known today more for casinos. Country music knows it still for being a key piece to the wild frontier. Perhaps that’s partially because the Reno Brother Gang (no relation to the city) pulled off the first train robbery. Even today, the history of red light districts, brothels, shoot-outs, ghost towns, silver strikes and cowboy/Indian conflicts all help define the city. Here are just a few of our favorite songs that mention Reno.
5. Jason Eady – “Promises In Pieces”
This great story-song tells the sad tale of the protagonist getting away with the shooting of a Wells Fargo bank teller, and then having his friend take the fall for it.
4. Doug Supernaw – “Reno”
Off of Red and Rio Grande, this 1993 single made it up to #4 on the charts.
3. Waylon Jennings – “Reno and Me”
Jennings had this little-heard gem on his 1990 album, The Eagle. It’s co-written by Kevin Welch.
2. Dottie West – “Reno”
This 1968 single was a Top 20 hit for the beautiful Dottie West.
1. Johnny Cash – “Folsom Prison Blues”
“I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die.” There could be no bigger lyric in all of country music.
- Bobby P.: Thanks for the link to my one hit wonder article!
- Leeann: I'm glad you reviewed this album. I think your rating is what I'd give it too. It's a good album, …
- luckyoldsun: That Bobby Bare/Bill Parsons story has been often told, but I still don't quite understand how two then-nobodies could go …
- Leeann: The Jack Clement album is quite good!
- Donald: "Ryan Adams announced .... the August 19 release of “1984,'" Which, I'm told, is the fifteen years later update of his …
- Lynchie from Aberdeen: Delighted to hear that Hot Rize have a new album coming out – and thanks for the link to that …
- luckyoldsun: Nobody can do Karaoke George Jones like Kershaw!
- Bruce: LW, Don't apologize for your Bryant comment. You were more gracious than I would have been.
- Bruce: My vote is for Marty Stuart for his exhaustive body of work that is directional yet diversified.
- Leeann: Dang! Let me write my above sentence again!: Kelley MicKwee’s album is sounding good so far too. I really like “Beautiful …