Friday Five: Reno
The “Biggest Little City in the World” is known today more for casinos. Country music knows it still for being a key piece to the wild frontier. Perhaps that’s partially because the Reno Brother Gang (no relation to the city) pulled off the first train robbery. Even today, the history of red light districts, brothels, shoot-outs, ghost towns, silver strikes and cowboy/Indian conflicts all help define the city. Here are just a few of our favorite songs that mention Reno.
5. Jason Eady – “Promises In Pieces”
This great story-song tells the sad tale of the protagonist getting away with the shooting of a Wells Fargo bank teller, and then having his friend take the fall for it.
4. Doug Supernaw – “Reno”
Off of Red and Rio Grande, this 1993 single made it up to #4 on the charts.
3. Waylon Jennings – “Reno and Me”
Jennings had this little-heard gem on his 1990 album, The Eagle. It’s co-written by Kevin Welch.
2. Dottie West – “Reno”
This 1968 single was a Top 20 hit for the beautiful Dottie West.
1. Johnny Cash – “Folsom Prison Blues”
“I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die.” There could be no bigger lyric in all of country music.
- Joe Mekler: Not only is this a fun tune with an unusual form but it is politically appropriate for the present times!
- Paul W Dennis: Moot Davis deserves much wider success than he's had thus far. I have a couple of his albums and they …
- Ron Estepp: Great toe tapper, dance song and straight lyrics. I need more!
- Arlene: Another loss. Here's one of my favorite Jesse Winchester performances: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uKGWpqnS8E
- bob: I like that Wendy Colonna song. I'll have to check out more of her music. I have the 2 Delbert & …
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Holy moly, that Peter Cooper article on Ray Price is a doozy. I haven't yet had a chance to listen …
- Juli Thanki: Update from The Commercial Appeal: One of music’s sweetest voices and most incisive songwriters, Jesse Winchester, has died. The 69 …
- Barry Mazor: A very good case could be made that the Newport "Folk" festival is now an Americana festival--the two not …
- TexasVet: Here's Bonnie Raitt, Emmylou Harris & Carrie Underwood singing "Blue Bayou" Last night at the Rock and Roll Hall of …
- Jeff Miller: That Peter Cooper double shot is powerful!