Friday Five: Pi Day
Today is Pi Day, and while we’re not that great at math here at E145, we do like made-up nerd holidays that encourage the consumption of the world’s greatest food: pie. It can be sweet, it can be savory, and the presence of fruit can let you pretend that you are eating something healthy, when deep down you know it’s a plate of diabetes.
It seems that songwriters like pie as much as we do, because numerous songs mention it, including “Sweet-T-Pie” (not to be confused with “Sweetie Pie”) “The Girl on Sugar Pie Lane,” “Easy as Pie,” “Shoofly Pie,” “Pumpkin Pie,” “Sweet Potato Pie,” “Key Lime Pie,” and, of course, “American Pie.” Here are five of our favorites
5. The Brothers Comatose – “Pie for Breakfast”
Since we post Friday Fives in the morning, you’ve still got oodles of time to find breakfast pie. This post will be waiting when you come back.
4. Abigail Washburn & The Sparrow Quartet – “Sugar and Pie”
Perhaps the only thing more delicious than pie is the music made by this supergroup.
3. The Greenbriar Boys – “Methodist Pie”
Just to be clear, this is a pie made for Methodists, not a pie made of Methodists. Cannibalism at church potlucks is frowned upon.
2. Patty Griffin – “Making Pies”
Any pie made while listening to Patty Griffin will be flavored with salty tears. That’s probably what happened here.
1. Tom T. Hall – “Mama, Bake a Pie (Daddy, Kill a Chicken)”
Only a master songwriter like Tom T. Hall could pen this tale about a wounded, alcoholic veteran returning home, combining dark humor and gutwrenching pathos to create a doozy of a song.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.