Friday Five: Pi Day
Today is Pi Day, and while we’re not that great at math here at E145, we do like made-up nerd holidays that encourage the consumption of the world’s greatest food: pie. It can be sweet, it can be savory, and the presence of fruit can let you pretend that you are eating something healthy, when deep down you know it’s a plate of diabetes.
It seems that songwriters like pie as much as we do, because numerous songs mention it, including “Sweet-T-Pie” (not to be confused with “Sweetie Pie”) “The Girl on Sugar Pie Lane,” “Easy as Pie,” “Shoofly Pie,” “Pumpkin Pie,” “Sweet Potato Pie,” “Key Lime Pie,” and, of course, “American Pie.” Here are five of our favorites
5. The Brothers Comatose – “Pie for Breakfast”
Since we post Friday Fives in the morning, you’ve still got oodles of time to find breakfast pie. This post will be waiting when you come back.
4. Abigail Washburn & The Sparrow Quartet – “Sugar and Pie”
Perhaps the only thing more delicious than pie is the music made by this supergroup.
3. The Greenbriar Boys – “Methodist Pie”
Just to be clear, this is a pie made for Methodists, not a pie made of Methodists. Cannibalism at church potlucks is frowned upon.
2. Patty Griffin – “Making Pies”
Any pie made while listening to Patty Griffin will be flavored with salty tears. That’s probably what happened here.
1. Tom T. Hall – “Mama, Bake a Pie (Daddy, Kill a Chicken)”
Only a master songwriter like Tom T. Hall could pen this tale about a wounded, alcoholic veteran returning home, combining dark humor and gutwrenching pathos to create a doozy of a song.
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.
- lindsay thomas: Wife and I saw these guys last Thursday night, (7-24-14) at the Ryman in Nashville. What a show. …
- Donald: I'm guessing that is meant to read 're-release' Detroit to Wheeling, as the double album originally appeared on Pinecastle in …
- Michael A.: Has anyone else had a difficult time trying to get the free download from the Reba site?
- Dave D.: I can't believe that I never saw the Willie Nelson Monk episode - and it was a Sharona episode, as …
- nm: Taylor Swift was on CSI once. Not only was Steve Earle on The Wire, in one episode Omar quoted him about …
- Barry Mazor: It's only a slight stretch to recall when Jimmy Dean met James Bond: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbwDGtj84YY
- Arlene: I suspect you'll also be including an episode of L.A. Law....
- luckyoldsun: The Johnny Cash episode was the one Columbo case where you really felt "the b--- had it coming."