Friday Five: Pi Day
Today is Pi Day, and while we’re not that great at math here at E145, we do like made-up nerd holidays that encourage the consumption of the world’s greatest food: pie. It can be sweet, it can be savory, and the presence of fruit can let you pretend that you are eating something healthy, when deep down you know it’s a plate of diabetes.
It seems that songwriters like pie as much as we do, because numerous songs mention it, including “Sweet-T-Pie” (not to be confused with “Sweetie Pie”) “The Girl on Sugar Pie Lane,” “Easy as Pie,” “Shoofly Pie,” “Pumpkin Pie,” “Sweet Potato Pie,” “Key Lime Pie,” and, of course, “American Pie.” Here are five of our favorites
5. The Brothers Comatose – “Pie for Breakfast”
Since we post Friday Fives in the morning, you’ve still got oodles of time to find breakfast pie. This post will be waiting when you come back.
4. Abigail Washburn & The Sparrow Quartet – “Sugar and Pie”
Perhaps the only thing more delicious than pie is the music made by this supergroup.
3. The Greenbriar Boys – “Methodist Pie”
Just to be clear, this is a pie made for Methodists, not a pie made of Methodists. Cannibalism at church potlucks is frowned upon.
2. Patty Griffin – “Making Pies”
Any pie made while listening to Patty Griffin will be flavored with salty tears. That’s probably what happened here.
1. Tom T. Hall – “Mama, Bake a Pie (Daddy, Kill a Chicken)”
Only a master songwriter like Tom T. Hall could pen this tale about a wounded, alcoholic veteran returning home, combining dark humor and gutwrenching pathos to create a doozy of a song.
- Leeann Ward: Yes, we know that it's technically a Keith Whitley song, as Juli noted above.
- Six String Richie: It's great to hear that Sundy Best has a new album coming out. I really encourage anybody that reads …
- Louie: "Brotherly Love," IS a Keith Whitley song. Trying to take advantage of the impact sales, and the tragedy of Keith's …
- Erik North: A big loss for not only the Nashville songwriting community, but for songwriting communities everywhere, in my opinion, that Paul …
- luckyoldsun: If they're only allowed one modern inductee per year in the H-o-F, then there's a backlog developing. You have Skaggs, …
- Leeann Ward: I'm not an ETC fan, but I do love "Brotherly Love" with Keith Whitley.
- luckyoldsun: It's got to be "What I'd Say." (I think that's the title.) There was some question, I believe, over whether …
- Paul W Dennis: probably "Nobody Falls Like A Fool" or "Silent Treatment"
- Lynchie from Aberdeen: Where in heck's name is "That Was A Close One"?!?!? It's the guy's best song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrR_2rXiKA0
- Cody: Love seeing ETC getting some credit! My five, in no particular order at first; Crowd Around the Corner Home So Fine I Have …