Friday Five: Oklahoma’s Rising Stars
These days it seems as though Oklahoma’s chief export is Americana singer-songwriters. Here are a few of our favorite rising stars from the Sooner State.
5. John Moreland
If you haven’t heard John Moreland’s name before, you might have heard his music on Sons of Anarchy (with his beard and tattoos, Moreland could easily be mistaken for one of the show’s bikers). His In the Throes album, released last summer, was an under-the-radar gem full of starkly beautiful alt-country.
4. JD McPherson
McPherson’s scorching, retro rock and roll was catapulted onto the national scene when Rounder Records re-released his damn good Signs and Signifiers record. McPherson’s music is best experienced at one of his sweat-drenched live shows; if he plays your town, make attendance a priority.
3. Carter Sampson
With deeply personal lyrics and a bell-clear voice, Sampson is reminiscent of a young Lori McKenna. Her last record, Mockingbird Sing, was released nearly three years ago; let’s hope this means a new album is currently in the works.
2. Parker Millsap
Millsap’s self-titled debut, which was released earlier this year, is stunning, full of vivid, well-realized characters straight out of a Southern Gothic short story collection and the occasional banjo string garrote. At only 21, Millsap has a bright, long future in front of him. It’ll be exciting to watch him continue to progress.
1. John Fullbright
Over the past few years, I’ve been lucky enough to catch this spellbinding singer-songwriter in several tiny clubs, but there’s a good chance he won’t be playing those clubs much longer, especially once folks get their ears on his fantastic sophomore record, Songs (out late next month). Here’s a cut from the new album:
- Scooter: I agree Holly Williams can do no wrong in my eyes. Such a good album and great to see live …
- Carrie Mclaughlin: Your my Hero Mr. Jim Lauderdale!!! Come to Alaska Please? hehehehe
- Jeremy Dylan: You should check it out Dave D. It's from the first (and strongest) season.
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.
- lindsay thomas: Wife and I saw these guys last Thursday night, (7-24-14) at the Ryman in Nashville. What a show. …
- Donald: I'm guessing that is meant to read 're-release' Detroit to Wheeling, as the double album originally appeared on Pinecastle in …
- Michael A.: Has anyone else had a difficult time trying to get the free download from the Reba site?
- Dave D.: I can't believe that I never saw the Willie Nelson Monk episode - and it was a Sharona episode, as …
- nm: Taylor Swift was on CSI once. Not only was Steve Earle on The Wire, in one episode Omar quoted him about …