Friday Five: New Wave
With its punk influences and generous use of synthesizers, New Wave is pretty far removed from country on the musical spectrum. However, in the past decade or so, several roots artists have been putting out some damn good New Wave covers. Here are six of my favorites; what are yours?
Bonus Track: Sturgill Simpson – “The Promise”
The song that inspired this week’s Friday Five – originally recorded by one hit wonders When In Rome – is an unexpected choice for Simpson’s sophomore album, Metamodern Sounds in Country Music (out May 13, but there’s a good chance you’ll hear it before then if you’re lucky enough to catch one of Sturgill’s live shows), but a damn good one. Turning the ‘80s pop hit into a stark country ballad allows the lyrics, which are rather lovely, to shine in a way that they didn’t when buried under the original arrangement.
5. Calexico – “Love Will Tear Us Apart”
Putting your own spin on a classic like this Joy Division song is never easy, but Americana rockers Calexico do a solid job here.
4. Laura Cantrell – “Love Vigilantes”
From Kitty Wells to New Order – is there anything Laura Cantrell can’t sing? Based on her diverse cover selections, she’s got killer taste in music too; not that we’d expect anything less from WFMU’s Radio Thrift Shop proprietress.
3. HillBenders – “Talking in Your Sleep”
The HillBenders grassed up this early ‘80s Romantics hit for their 2012 album, Can You Hear Me, proving that every song can benefit from the addition of a Dobro.
2. Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit – “Psycho Killer”
The world needs more alt-country Talking Heads covers; this one — featuring former 400 Unit member Browan Lollar singing lead – is a good start.
1. Johnny Cash – “Personal Jesus”
Cash was no stranger to New Wave – he recorded multiple songs by Elvis Costello and one-time step-son-in-law Nick Lowe – but this version of a 1989 Depeche Mode single might be his best effort.
- Janice Brooks: Hopes somebody gets those memos about drinking songs. Meanwhile I'm feeling a lot of slots with Bluegrass.
- Leeann: Great news about Ricky Skaggs and Sharon White's duet album! Absolutely appalling about the Keith Urban concert!! Both the rape and …
- bob: I found the Billboard article about country music radio needing an alcohol intervention interesting. Songwriter Adam Wright is quoted as …
- Matt: Definitely agree with C.M. about Maddie & Tae. Certainly not the tidal wave of change some claimed it is or …
- Dave D.: Good stuff, as always. My copy of Producing Country arrived yesterday, and it looks to be as good as …
- Scooter: I agree Holly Williams can do no wrong in my eyes. Such a good album and great to see live …
- Carrie Mclaughlin: Your my Hero Mr. Jim Lauderdale!!! Come to Alaska Please? hehehehe
- Jeremy Dylan: You should check it out Dave D. It's from the first (and strongest) season.
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.