Friday Five: Motorcycles
This weekend, thousands of bikers will ride through the streets of Washington, D.C. as part of Rolling Thunder, an annual motorcycle run whose mission is “to educate, facilitate, and never forget by means of a demonstration for service members that were abandoned after the Vietnam War. Rolling Thunder has also evolved into a display of patriotism and respect for all who defend our country.” In honor of Rolling Thunder and Memorial Day, here are five of my favorite motorcycle songs. What are yours?
5. Arlo Guthrie – “The Motorcycle Song”
“I don’t want a pickle / Just want to ride on my motorsickle.” Off-kilter and rambling, this song is a fun listen.
4. Steve Earle – “The Other Kind”
Here, Earle finds refuge in two wheels, aluminum, and steel.
3. David Allan Coe – “Panheads Forever”
“She’s not much to look at when we ride through town / But I know when the chips fall, she won’t let me down.” There’s nothing like the love between a boy and his bike.
2. Merle Haggard – “Motorcycle Cowboy”
The “stringy-haired blonde” and her motorcycle cowboy are a match made in heaven. Or a dive bar.
1. Del McCoury Band – “1952 Vincent Black Lightning”
Del and the boys have made this Richard Thompson song their own; it’s a fan favorite you’re likely to hear at most, if not all, of Del’s shows. After all, isn’t “red hair and black leather” everyone’s favorite color scheme?
- Jack: The Everly Brothers "Song Our Daddy Taught Us" and "Roots" LPs look good.
- Juli Thanki: Indeed, Richie. Leslie Knope is my spirit animal.
- Six String Richie: That Parks & Rec. clip was perfection! Everybody reading this blog should watch it even if they don't watch the …
- Ben Foster: I'm coveting Dolly Parton's "Blue Smoke" 45.
- Barry Mazor: Speculation is free!
- Jack: Taste of Country has a pretty shallow point of view, and this little blurb is exhibit A.
- Leeann Ward: It is admittedly fun to speculate about these things.
- luckyoldsun: I wonder if the key to learning Gong Kwon Yu Sul is to be higher than a kite. lol
- luckyoldsun: Barry, I didn't say or imply that I have superior knowledge about the nominating process or workings--I'm just willing to make …
- CraigR.: After watching Easton Corbin's video I am left wondering where the man who made " I'm A Little Bit More …