Friday Five: Lyle Lovett
Lyle Lovett was born on this date in 1957; three decades later, he would release his first record. Since that self-titled album came out, Lovett has released a number of albums, got married and divorced from Julia Roberts, got trampled by a bull, acted in a number of different television series and movies and, most recently, got free from his Curb Records contract after finishing the appropriately titled Release Me. We’re excited to see what the future holds for the well-coifed one. Here are five of our favorite Lyle Lovett songs. What are yours?
5. “That’s Right (You’re Not from Texas)”
Lyle thinks he’s better than you because he’s from Texas and you’re not. And while that could be perceived as a little egotistical, he’s probably right.
4. “Road to Ensenada”
This is the title track to the fantastic record that won the Grammy Award for Best Country Album in 1997.
3. “My Baby Don’t Tolerate”
This is another title track, this time from his 2003 Curb/Lost Highway album. The clip below was shot during a great songwriters’ circle with John Hiatt and Joe Ely.
2. “Don’t Touch My Hat”
This is the third track on this list from Road to Ensenada. On a scale from one to ten, I give this album an eleventy.
1. “She’s Already Made Up Her Mind”
Lovett is a storyteller’s storyteller, and his talent is on full display in this beautiful narrative of love lost.
- luckyoldsun: Paul, Good info. It's pretty disgraceful that Billboard editors can't even get musical history remotely right regarding even their own publication. The …
- Juli Thanki: Yep, I'll be there. Looking forward to it!
- Leeann: Wow! The Look Again to the Wind: Johnny Cash’s Bitter Tears Revisited album is so good!
- Jack Williams: I was also there on Saturday, Juli. I really liked Angeleena Presley's set, too. Marty and the boys …
- Jack Williams: I heard the guy who made the documentary talks funny. That's great news. I'll definitely buy a copy …
- Dave D.: Jim Lauderdale's The Other Sessions is my favorite; just a great country records, IMO.
- Paul W Dernnis: It seems that whoever wrote that Billboard article had some bum information. As of 1993, 13 country artists had 50 …
- Leeann: My favorite Jim Lauderdale albums are his collaborations with Ralph Stanley.
- Jeremy Dylan: Correcting my typo, that should be http://jimlauderdalemovie.com
- Jeremy Dylan: @SCOOTER: Depending on where your tastes lie, I'd say I'm A Song (the new record), Pretty Close to the Truth …