Friday Five: Legal Dramas
In last week’s Friday Five about country artists who’ve appeared on police procedurals, I promised you an upcoming installment featuring singers who’ve appeared in legal movies or television shows. A few hours of “research” (which mostly involved sprawling on the couch and staring slack-jawed at various glowing screens) later, here it is. By the way: if you like your law nonfictional, bluegrasser Charlie Sizemore is an actual lawyer.
5. Randy Travis – The Rainmaker
Travis appeared alongside Matt Damon and Danny DeVito in Francis Ford Coppola’s late ‘90s adaptation of a John Grisham novel. Even as a hoodie-clad juror, there’s no hiding Travis’s immediately recognizable voice.
4. Trace Adkins – The Lincoln Lawyer
In this 2011 film, Adkins was Eddie Vogel, the leader of a biker gang. Here, he and his crew do lawyer Matthew McConaughey a solid by beating the hell out of some guy. (They could have just sung “Honky Tonk Badonkadonk” at the guy and he’d quickly curl into the fetal position whilst bleeding from the ears, but the hands-on approach works too.)
3. Trisha Yearwood – JAG
Yearwood played medical examiner Theresa Coulter on several episodes of this military law drama. All that slicing and dicing must have prepared her for her current television gig as the host of her own cooking program on The Food Network.
2. Randy Travis – Matlock
Travis appeared twice on Matlock, once in 1992 and again a year later. He didn’t have to flex his acting muscles too much, though: he played a country singer.
1. Pam Tillis – L.A. Law
Tillis also played a country singer in this seventh season episode; here, she’s part of a husband and wife duo alongside actor/singer Ronny Cox. It’s not Tillis’s best television appearance (that would be the time she was a delightful guest judge on the RuPaul’s Drag Race when the contestants had to lip sync to “Mi Vida Loca”), but it’s one of her earliest.
- Denise Vernon: Full moon with smell of leaves burning.
- Lisa Phillips: Love the Radio Ramblers! My favorite thing about fall is everything pumpkin.....coffee, cookies, muffins, pie.....etc!
- Sabrina Parnell: Def the cooler temps, football, great food , holidays on the way ,and of course more good country music releases.
- Debbie W: the changing colors of the leaves
- joyce King: I love FALL, the day your album Sept.25th is our wedding anniversary 46th!!! We have a fall Bean Supper, …
- Jim Sibley: I like everything about fall! MLB playoffs, football, end of hot, sticky nights, etc, etc. :-)
- Ron Mullins: Cool nights, smell of autumn and colors, and nice feeling in your heart.
- mike mills: Cool night and hunting
- Paul W Dennis: MLB playoffs and the weather here in Florida finally cooling off a little. Also we get the Palatka Bluegrass Festival …
- Tony Branscomb: Peaceful Quiet Days In The Woods Watching Wildlife Playing.