Friday Five: Judges
Today is the birthday of the most important figure in American law since Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.: Judge Judy. As you know, judges play a pretty important part in several country songs; they’re normally the ones sentencing our protagonists to 99 years in the Folsom pen or presiding over sham trials when the lights go out in Georgia. Let’s check out a few tunes about judges and judging.
The judge in this track (from Taken) gives Ms. Vincent her freedom back by dropping a harsh sentence on her cheating, lying, feller. The punishment? A lifetime without Rhonda. That’s pretty cruel if the guy’s a bluegrass fan.
Twitty pleads his case before the judge in this late ‘50s pop tune, begging “Don’t sentence me to live my life/In this prison of broken hearts.”
Go get stoned on Valium and gin or believe in ghosts and spirits. Crowell knows it’s not his place to cast judgment.
It’s the judge’s wife who gets the job done in this Chuck Berry classic, calling up the district attorney and telling him “You want your job, you better free that brown eyed man.”
Shepard won’t listen to the town gossips when they whisper about her what her man’s been up to, but she wants to hear it from the source. If he’s guilty, she’s prepared to erase him from her heart and mind.
- Carrie Mclaughlin: Your my Hero Mr. Jim Lauderdale!!! Come to Alaska Please? hehehehe
- Jeremy Dylan: You should check it out Dave D. It's from the first (and strongest) season.
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.
- lindsay thomas: Wife and I saw these guys last Thursday night, (7-24-14) at the Ryman in Nashville. What a show. …
- Donald: I'm guessing that is meant to read 're-release' Detroit to Wheeling, as the double album originally appeared on Pinecastle in …
- Michael A.: Has anyone else had a difficult time trying to get the free download from the Reba site?
- Dave D.: I can't believe that I never saw the Willie Nelson Monk episode - and it was a Sharona episode, as …
- nm: Taylor Swift was on CSI once. Not only was Steve Earle on The Wire, in one episode Omar quoted him about …
- Barry Mazor: It's only a slight stretch to recall when Jimmy Dean met James Bond: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbwDGtj84YY