Friday Five: Judges
Today is the birthday of the most important figure in American law since Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.: Judge Judy. As you know, judges play a pretty important part in several country songs; they’re normally the ones sentencing our protagonists to 99 years in the Folsom pen or presiding over sham trials when the lights go out in Georgia. Let’s check out a few tunes about judges and judging.
The judge in this track (from Taken) gives Ms. Vincent her freedom back by dropping a harsh sentence on her cheating, lying, feller. The punishment? A lifetime without Rhonda. That’s pretty cruel if the guy’s a bluegrass fan.
Twitty pleads his case before the judge in this late ‘50s pop tune, begging “Don’t sentence me to live my life/In this prison of broken hearts.”
Go get stoned on Valium and gin or believe in ghosts and spirits. Crowell knows it’s not his place to cast judgment.
It’s the judge’s wife who gets the job done in this Chuck Berry classic, calling up the district attorney and telling him “You want your job, you better free that brown eyed man.”
Shepard won’t listen to the town gossips when they whisper about her what her man’s been up to, but she wants to hear it from the source. If he’s guilty, she’s prepared to erase him from her heart and mind.
- Rick: Why Leeann, I'm all for "charity" when I am the recipient! (lol)
- Rick: I'm glad to see Miss Leslie was able to raise enough funds to record a new album. I can't wait ...
- J.R. Journey: Congratulations to Trisha Yearwood and Little Big Town. They join Hank Williams Jr. in the country-stars-with-Emmy-awards category.
- Juli Thanki: They're no Tracy Jordan.
- Luckyoldsun: Here he is with Mr. Johnny Carson: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L5QC9ZJkM8
- Blake Boldt: Trisha and LBT for the EGOT.
- Barry Mazor: I thought Luckyol was kidding--and he may have been. The Ames Bros charted dozens of times, and Ed Ames ...
- bob: Before going solo, Ed Ames was a member of the Ames Brothers. The brothers had some hits in the 50's ...
- Luckyoldsun: "My parents’ record collection consisted of Ed Ames, Perry Como..." Ed Ames made records? I did not know that. I thought ...
- Leeann Ward: Old Town, where Griffin is from, is just a few minutes away from me.