Friday Five: Johnny Paycheck
If there were ever a walking, talking, country song, Johnny Paycheck just might have been it. Jail, drinking, money problems and rabble-rousing weren’t just song topics, they were a way of life for Donald Eugene Lytle, born on this day back in 1938. Happy birthday to Johnny–who would have been 75 today had he not passed away in 2003. What’s your favorite song that Paycheck wrote and/or recorded?
5. “Old Violin”
The year prior to the 1986 release of this great steel guitar driven track, Paycheck was sentenced to seven years in prison for shooting at a man’s head. But his personal life didn’t affect his chart success: “Old Violin” made the Top 20.
4. “She’s All I Got”
This single went all the way to #2 in 1971. It was released earlier that year by Freddie North as a pop hit and has also been recorded by Conway Twitty, Tanya Tucker, and Tracy Byrd.
This was Paycheck’s very first charted single back in 1965.
2. “I’m the Only Hell (Mama Ever Raised)”
The coolest part of this video is the wardrobe.
1. “Take This Job and Shove It”
Paycheck’s signature song, Take This Job and Shove It,” was written by his friend David Allan Coe–and hit #1 in 1977, making it Paycheck’s only chart-topper.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.