Friday Five: Johnny Paycheck
If there were ever a walking, talking, country song, Johnny Paycheck just might have been it. Jail, drinking, money problems and rabble-rousing weren’t just song topics, they were a way of life for Donald Eugene Lytle, born on this day back in 1938. Happy birthday to Johnny–who would have been 75 today had he not passed away in 2003. What’s your favorite song that Paycheck wrote and/or recorded?
5. “Old Violin”
The year prior to the 1986 release of this great steel guitar driven track, Paycheck was sentenced to seven years in prison for shooting at a man’s head. But his personal life didn’t affect his chart success: “Old Violin” made the Top 20.
4. “She’s All I Got”
This single went all the way to #2 in 1971. It was released earlier that year by Freddie North as a pop hit and has also been recorded by Conway Twitty, Tanya Tucker, and Tracy Byrd.
This was Paycheck’s very first charted single back in 1965.
2. “I’m the Only Hell (Mama Ever Raised)”
The coolest part of this video is the wardrobe.
1. “Take This Job and Shove It”
Paycheck’s signature song, Take This Job and Shove It,” was written by his friend David Allan Coe–and hit #1 in 1977, making it Paycheck’s only chart-topper.
- Leeann Ward: Interesting! I just got an email from Amozon saying that they cancelled my preorder of Jamey Johnson's Christmas album due …
- luckyoldsun: Jim Z-- I get the feeling Barry was this close to calling you what Kinky Friedman called his guy from El …
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …