Friday Five: Impossibilities
It was the great leader Nelson Mandela who said, “It always seems impossible until it’s done.” And he’s right. With the creativity and inventiveness that is part of the human spirit, it’s rarely capability that keeps us from achieving goals, but the belief that it can be done.
Few probably thought that a little AM radio show that was started by an insurance company would still be going strong nearly 85 years later. It might have been thought impossible that an African-American Charley Pride would become a smash success in the 1960s. Fast-forward to the present and few thought it possible that a (then) teenage Taylor Swift would become the biggest thing across all genres of music.
That brings us to this week’s Friday Five—a few songs that deal with impossibilities.
5. Joni Mitchell — “Impossible Dreamer”
An interesting tidbit of note: Not only has Joni Mitchell been one of the more influential folk songwriters in history, she’s painted nearly all of her own album covers.
4. Chalee Tennison — “Handful of Water”
You want an impossibility? Try the fact that Chalee was married thrice, had three kids and was a prison guard prior to releasing six charted singles between 1999 and 2002.
3. TG Sheppard — “It’s Impossible”
TG Sheppard’s career success also seems an impossibility. Before he had the first of 14 number one hits on the charts, he was a runaway at the young age of 15.
2. Vern Gosdin — “Impossible Mile”
The Voice sings a country gospel song here: the “Impossible Mile” is the last walk Jesus made up the hill to Calvary.
1. Joe Nichols — “The Impossible”
Dads are mortal and the injured can walk again in this memorable single from Joe Nichols- back when he was rocking the long hair.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: The inferiority complex of the CMA never ceases to amaze me.
- Barry Mazor: Thanks for explaining that to me, Luckyol.
- luckyoldsun: Barry, I think you're taking it a bit too seriously. CMT has to keep coming up with new lists to make. …
- Barry Mazor: Thi is a world in which the "top 40 most influential country artists of all time" do not include, for …
- luckyoldsun: I just noticed that Garth and King George are still to come. So unless I'm missing something else, the remaining seven …
- Leeann Ward: I hate it when people pronounce the days of the week with a "dy" ending instead of "day." It's like …
- luckyoldsun: Looking at that bizarre CMT Artists' list with Johnny Cash coming in at #8, it raises the question--Who are the …
- Leeann Ward: I'd have to agree with LOS here. The song was fair game to be released. It's no surprised that it …
- luckyoldsun: "'Brotherly Love,' IS a Keith Whitley song. Trying to take advantage of the impact sales, and the tragedy of Keith’s …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, we know that it's technically a Keith Whitley song, as Juli noted above.