Friday Five: Impossibilities
It was the great leader Nelson Mandela who said, “It always seems impossible until it’s done.” And he’s right. With the creativity and inventiveness that is part of the human spirit, it’s rarely capability that keeps us from achieving goals, but the belief that it can be done.
Few probably thought that a little AM radio show that was started by an insurance company would still be going strong nearly 85 years later. It might have been thought impossible that an African-American Charley Pride would become a smash success in the 1960s. Fast-forward to the present and few thought it possible that a (then) teenage Taylor Swift would become the biggest thing across all genres of music.
That brings us to this week’s Friday Five—a few songs that deal with impossibilities.
5. Joni Mitchell — “Impossible Dreamer”
An interesting tidbit of note: Not only has Joni Mitchell been one of the more influential folk songwriters in history, she’s painted nearly all of her own album covers.
4. Chalee Tennison — “Handful of Water”
You want an impossibility? Try the fact that Chalee was married thrice, had three kids and was a prison guard prior to releasing six charted singles between 1999 and 2002.
3. TG Sheppard — “It’s Impossible”
TG Sheppard’s career success also seems an impossibility. Before he had the first of 14 number one hits on the charts, he was a runaway at the young age of 15.
2. Vern Gosdin — “Impossible Mile”
The Voice sings a country gospel song here: the “Impossible Mile” is the last walk Jesus made up the hill to Calvary.
1. Joe Nichols — “The Impossible”
Dads are mortal and the injured can walk again in this memorable single from Joe Nichols- back when he was rocking the long hair.
- luckyoldsun: MH-- "...divisive, dismissive and argumentative." There's a shock. Who'da thunk it.
- MH: Looks like the IBMA is finding out what a lot of us already knew about former & frequent Engine 145 …
- Tom: ...it is almost the year 2015 - ain't it about time we leave people (celebrities included) having the personal relations …
- Paul W Dennis: I had assumed that Herndon was gay after the incident that Lucky Old Sun referenced, but bought the next Herndon …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: For anyone who wants to buy it, the Rosanne Cash 45 is available again. With 1000 copies being created, I …
- luckyoldsun: It seemed that the old morals arrest incident really did Herndon in. He was a pretty big country star before …
- CraigR.: Hopefully in the future being gay or straight won't matter at all. And then people won't have to hide their …
- Bruce: Jim has a remarkable voice for his age. Heck, for any age.
- bob: Good luck to Herndon and Gilman. I've seen Herndon in concert. While I liked his 90's material better, he's still …
- Leeann Ward: It was Brad Paisley and its on his Christmas album.