Friday Five: Impossibilities
It was the great leader Nelson Mandela who said, “It always seems impossible until it’s done.” And he’s right. With the creativity and inventiveness that is part of the human spirit, it’s rarely capability that keeps us from achieving goals, but the belief that it can be done.
Few probably thought that a little AM radio show that was started by an insurance company would still be going strong nearly 85 years later. It might have been thought impossible that an African-American Charley Pride would become a smash success in the 1960s. Fast-forward to the present and few thought it possible that a (then) teenage Taylor Swift would become the biggest thing across all genres of music.
That brings us to this week’s Friday Five—a few songs that deal with impossibilities.
5. Joni Mitchell — “Impossible Dreamer”
An interesting tidbit of note: Not only has Joni Mitchell been one of the more influential folk songwriters in history, she’s painted nearly all of her own album covers.
4. Chalee Tennison — “Handful of Water”
You want an impossibility? Try the fact that Chalee was married thrice, had three kids and was a prison guard prior to releasing six charted singles between 1999 and 2002.
3. TG Sheppard — “It’s Impossible”
TG Sheppard’s career success also seems an impossibility. Before he had the first of 14 number one hits on the charts, he was a runaway at the young age of 15.
2. Vern Gosdin — “Impossible Mile”
The Voice sings a country gospel song here: the “Impossible Mile” is the last walk Jesus made up the hill to Calvary.
1. Joe Nichols — “The Impossible”
Dads are mortal and the injured can walk again in this memorable single from Joe Nichols- back when he was rocking the long hair.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.