Friday Five: Impossibilities
It was the great leader Nelson Mandela who said, “It always seems impossible until it’s done.” And he’s right. With the creativity and inventiveness that is part of the human spirit, it’s rarely capability that keeps us from achieving goals, but the belief that it can be done.
Few probably thought that a little AM radio show that was started by an insurance company would still be going strong nearly 85 years later. It might have been thought impossible that an African-American Charley Pride would become a smash success in the 1960s. Fast-forward to the present and few thought it possible that a (then) teenage Taylor Swift would become the biggest thing across all genres of music.
That brings us to this week’s Friday Five—a few songs that deal with impossibilities.
5. Joni Mitchell — “Impossible Dreamer”
An interesting tidbit of note: Not only has Joni Mitchell been one of the more influential folk songwriters in history, she’s painted nearly all of her own album covers.
4. Chalee Tennison — “Handful of Water”
You want an impossibility? Try the fact that Chalee was married thrice, had three kids and was a prison guard prior to releasing six charted singles between 1999 and 2002.
3. TG Sheppard — “It’s Impossible”
TG Sheppard’s career success also seems an impossibility. Before he had the first of 14 number one hits on the charts, he was a runaway at the young age of 15.
2. Vern Gosdin — “Impossible Mile”
The Voice sings a country gospel song here: the “Impossible Mile” is the last walk Jesus made up the hill to Calvary.
1. Joe Nichols — “The Impossible”
Dads are mortal and the injured can walk again in this memorable single from Joe Nichols- back when he was rocking the long hair.
- A.B.: I think I understand why the eating disorder facility wants to be located there besides it being the former Cash …
- Janice Brooks: Hopes somebody gets those memos about drinking songs. Meanwhile I'm feeling a lot of slots with Bluegrass.
- Leeann: Great news about Ricky Skaggs and Sharon White's duet album! Absolutely appalling about the Keith Urban concert!! Both the rape and …
- bob: I found the Billboard article about country music radio needing an alcohol intervention interesting. Songwriter Adam Wright is quoted as …
- Matt: Definitely agree with C.M. about Maddie & Tae. Certainly not the tidal wave of change some claimed it is or …
- Dave D.: Good stuff, as always. My copy of Producing Country arrived yesterday, and it looks to be as good as …
- Scooter: I agree Holly Williams can do no wrong in my eyes. Such a good album and great to see live …
- Carrie Mclaughlin: Your my Hero Mr. Jim Lauderdale!!! Come to Alaska Please? hehehehe
- Jeremy Dylan: You should check it out Dave D. It's from the first (and strongest) season.
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.