Friday Five: Impossibilities
It was the great leader Nelson Mandela who said, “It always seems impossible until it’s done.” And he’s right. With the creativity and inventiveness that is part of the human spirit, it’s rarely capability that keeps us from achieving goals, but the belief that it can be done.
Few probably thought that a little AM radio show that was started by an insurance company would still be going strong nearly 85 years later. It might have been thought impossible that an African-American Charley Pride would become a smash success in the 1960s. Fast-forward to the present and few thought it possible that a (then) teenage Taylor Swift would become the biggest thing across all genres of music.
That brings us to this week’s Friday Five—a few songs that deal with impossibilities.
5. Joni Mitchell — “Impossible Dreamer”
An interesting tidbit of note: Not only has Joni Mitchell been one of the more influential folk songwriters in history, she’s painted nearly all of her own album covers.
4. Chalee Tennison — “Handful of Water”
You want an impossibility? Try the fact that Chalee was married thrice, had three kids and was a prison guard prior to releasing six charted singles between 1999 and 2002.
3. TG Sheppard — “It’s Impossible”
TG Sheppard’s career success also seems an impossibility. Before he had the first of 14 number one hits on the charts, he was a runaway at the young age of 15.
2. Vern Gosdin — “Impossible Mile”
The Voice sings a country gospel song here: the “Impossible Mile” is the last walk Jesus made up the hill to Calvary.
1. Joe Nichols — “The Impossible”
Dads are mortal and the injured can walk again in this memorable single from Joe Nichols- back when he was rocking the long hair.
- Country fan: Hunter is very good, I wish he would do some traditional country music.
- Luckyoldsun: Well, Hunter plays a mean accordion on Jambalaya!
- Country fan: Merle is one of the greatest talents in music.
- Country fan: Could not agree more with Bruce !
- Janice Brooks: The Kenny and Amanda Smith track is in rotation her. Hoping for a promo from Brennen and Noel.
- SunsetPark: www.dictionary.com today has "5 Famous Words of Country Music" on their front page. It includes honky-tonk (with a reference …
- BRUCE: Florida Georgia Line, Hunter Hayes, Jason Aldean and Luke Bryan. These are the CMT Artists of the Year? Folks, it's …
- Janice Brooks: I'm happy with the Grammy list as usual. Don't overlook the Doc Watson album. As far as Bonnie R's …
- BRUCE: I missed no point whatsoever. Please re-read. By-the=way, I didn't miss the point about their positive review. However, I rarely …
- Luckyoldsun: Bruce, And I was making the broader point that you're missing the forest for the trees. A widely read national web publication …