Friday Five: Horseracing
Tomorrow is the 138th Kentucky Derby. Put on an ostentatious hat and get ready for the Run for the Roses with these songs. (It’s not the Friday Six, but you can’t go wrong with adding Tim O’Brien’s “Hoss Race” to your Derby Day playlist.)
5. Johnny Cash, “Camptown Races”
It’s a good thing the Kentucky Derby is the greatest two minutes in sports: if the horses were “going to run all night/going to run all day” the stands would be littered with the prone bodies of spectators who didn’t pace their mint julep consumption.
“Skewball” is a traditional British folksong based on a racing horse from the mid-1700s. American artists like Lead Belly, Woody Guthrie, and Cisco Houston altered the name and changed the setting to the States in their versions.
This fantastic story song about Depression-era jockeys from Cleaves’ Wishbones is based on a true story.
Here’s another one about real horses—Mollie McCarty and Ten Broeck—but the song takes more than a few creative liberties: Mollie didn’t die. Also, I’m pretty sure the horses didn’t talk to each other during the race.
Jones co-wrote this song, which topped out at #3 on the country charts in 1964. Don’t go placing any bets with the Possum: the winner loses all.
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …
- nm: Agreed. A good job by three very smart women.
- Deremy Jylan: The Hight piece is tremendous reading.
- Juli Thanki: Much like the music of Aldean and FGL, Michelob Ultra is favored by college kids and too much exposure will …
- Tom: ...michelob ultra seems to be a brew from hell.
- luckyoldsun: Maybe he was just changing out of his hunting clothes. At least he didn't do the full Randy...um Monty.