Friday Five: Highways
The date was this same one way back fifty-six years ago when the Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1956 was signed, officially creating the United States Interstate Highway System. It was the largest public works project in the history of the United States and you’ve been paying a tax on your gasoline ever since. Life on the road has never been the same. Song lyrics have never been the same, either. The highway has been the topic of choice for hundreds of thousands of tunes. Here are five personal favorites.
His version will almost make you forget the Rascal Flatts version. Almost.
Did you know that Highwaymen had another “project” together after their last album was released back in in 1995? Between the years of 1997 and 1999, Nelson, Kristofferson, Cash, and Jennings also provided the voice and dramatization for the Louis L’Amour Collection, a four CD box set of seven Louis L’Amour books.
Highways didn’t have to be of the interstate variety to make a songwriter pick up a pen. This classic Williams recording of a Leon Payne song is iconic and inspired the name of a music label.
2. Dolly Parton – “Highway Headin’ South”
This is pulled from Dolly’s variety show in the late 1970s.
This fun honky-tonk trucking-themed song was the third track off of Strait’s 2008 studio album Troubadour. After 24 prior studio albums, this project was Strait’s first to win Country Album of the Year at the Grammy Awards.
- Tom: ...good idea, a george jones museum in nashville. is there a building tall enough for a voice and a career …
- mrsandy: Also worth noting: Priscilla Mitchell was Jerry Reed's widow.
- Leeann Ward: Wow! My heart goes out to Allison Moorer. She's had so many terrible things happen in her life. It's too …
- Leeann Ward: I must have this audio book!
- Juli Thanki: Ha! Same thing happened at Sturgill Simpson's show I went to last month, only he was singing "I Never Go …
- Dave D.: On the topic of Lee Ann and dark songs, the funniest moment at this year's Americana Fest was during her …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: I love Lori McKenna. Coming from Massachusetts, she's our local girl. I've been fortunate to see her in concert a …
- bll: I suss her re-recording her hits for 'Gwendolen records' means she can stop MCA from releasing her hits against her.
- Greg Judy: Cooler festivals and marching bands at the football games!
- kevin ilinger: Fall colors bluegrass and apple cider