Friday Five: Highways
The date was this same one way back fifty-six years ago when the Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1956 was signed, officially creating the United States Interstate Highway System. It was the largest public works project in the history of the United States and you’ve been paying a tax on your gasoline ever since. Life on the road has never been the same. Song lyrics have never been the same, either. The highway has been the topic of choice for hundreds of thousands of tunes. Here are five personal favorites.
His version will almost make you forget the Rascal Flatts version. Almost.
Did you know that Highwaymen had another “project” together after their last album was released back in in 1995? Between the years of 1997 and 1999, Nelson, Kristofferson, Cash, and Jennings also provided the voice and dramatization for the Louis L’Amour Collection, a four CD box set of seven Louis L’Amour books.
Highways didn’t have to be of the interstate variety to make a songwriter pick up a pen. This classic Williams recording of a Leon Payne song is iconic and inspired the name of a music label.
2. Dolly Parton – “Highway Headin’ South”
This is pulled from Dolly’s variety show in the late 1970s.
This fun honky-tonk trucking-themed song was the third track off of Strait’s 2008 studio album Troubadour. After 24 prior studio albums, this project was Strait’s first to win Country Album of the Year at the Grammy Awards.
- Barry Mazor: I'll have to see if Dr. Green's ever read 3 Lives; it's a good book.
- Juli Thanki: Rose is a rose is a rose is a yellow rose of Texas. I smell a terrible concept album!
- Barry Mazor: Pigeons on the grass, alas.. Come-a kai-yai yippy, yippy ay.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Barry, thanks for the great sentimental look at Winchester. I will admit that he is an artist that was largely …
- Arlene: Thanks for this article, Barry. It's not often that an artist brings another performer to tears during a guitar pull. …
- Leeann: At any rate, I'll still look forward to his next album, because I'm a fan of his music.
- Leeann: Yes, if he had said that, I'd be with him, but e lumped all of country music, including the Grand …
- mrsandy: My understanding is Emmylou's concert was cancelled was because her 92-y.o. mother passed away.
- Erik North: I would have to say that, even though I agree that JTE does generalize about country music excessively, I also …
- Leeann: I think he generalized way too much, too black and white. He reminded me too much of Ryan Adams, who …