Friday Five: Highways
The date was this same one way back fifty-six years ago when the Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1956 was signed, officially creating the United States Interstate Highway System. It was the largest public works project in the history of the United States and you’ve been paying a tax on your gasoline ever since. Life on the road has never been the same. Song lyrics have never been the same, either. The highway has been the topic of choice for hundreds of thousands of tunes. Here are five personal favorites.
His version will almost make you forget the Rascal Flatts version. Almost.
Did you know that Highwaymen had another “project” together after their last album was released back in in 1995? Between the years of 1997 and 1999, Nelson, Kristofferson, Cash, and Jennings also provided the voice and dramatization for the Louis L’Amour Collection, a four CD box set of seven Louis L’Amour books.
Highways didn’t have to be of the interstate variety to make a songwriter pick up a pen. This classic Williams recording of a Leon Payne song is iconic and inspired the name of a music label.
2. Dolly Parton – “Highway Headin’ South”
This is pulled from Dolly’s variety show in the late 1970s.
This fun honky-tonk trucking-themed song was the third track off of Strait’s 2008 studio album Troubadour. After 24 prior studio albums, this project was Strait’s first to win Country Album of the Year at the Grammy Awards.
- Jack: The Everly Brothers "Song Our Daddy Taught Us" and "Roots" LPs look good.
- Juli Thanki: Indeed, Richie. Leslie Knope is my spirit animal.
- Six String Richie: That Parks & Rec. clip was perfection! Everybody reading this blog should watch it even if they don't watch the …
- Ben Foster: I'm coveting Dolly Parton's "Blue Smoke" 45.
- Barry Mazor: Speculation is free!
- Jack: Taste of Country has a pretty shallow point of view, and this little blurb is exhibit A.
- Leeann Ward: It is admittedly fun to speculate about these things.
- luckyoldsun: I wonder if the key to learning Gong Kwon Yu Sul is to be higher than a kite. lol
- luckyoldsun: Barry, I didn't say or imply that I have superior knowledge about the nominating process or workings--I'm just willing to make …
- CraigR.: After watching Easton Corbin's video I am left wondering where the man who made " I'm A Little Bit More …