Friday Five: Hank Cochran Songs
On this date in 1935, one of the most influential songwriters in country music was born: Hank Cochran. Some modern day country music fans might only know him because of Jamey Johnson’s Living for a Song: A Tribute to Hank Cochran, but Cochran had incredible influence and impact on the music landscape. What is your favorite song written by “the other great Hank?”
5. Patsy Cline – “I Fall To Pieces”
The amount of incredible people that touched this song is pretty astounding. Harlan Howard and Hank Cochran wrote it, Jan Howard recorded the demo, Brenda Lee and Roy Drusky both considered recording the song before passing on it, Owen Bradley produced it, The Jordanaires sang backup vocals on it and Patsy… well, she’s just Patsy.
4. Eddy Arnold – “Make the World Go Away”
How strong is this song? Ray Price and Eddy Arnold’s versions were hits in 1963 (No. 2) and 1965 (No. 1), respectively.
3. George Strait – “The Chair”
One of the amazing parts of Cochran’s career is the time span over which his songs became charted hits–that’s probably not over yet despite Cochran’s death in 2010.
2. Burl Ives – “A Little Bitty Tear”
This song earned Grammy nominations for Best Country & Western Recording and Best Male Solo Vocal Performance in 1962.
1. Vern Gosdin – “Set ‘em Up Joe”
This late ‘80s hit was a tribute song written for Ernest Tubb.
- Barry Mazor: I'll have to see if Dr. Green's ever read 3 Lives; it's a good book.
- Juli Thanki: Rose is a rose is a rose is a yellow rose of Texas. I smell a terrible concept album!
- Barry Mazor: Pigeons on the grass, alas.. Come-a kai-yai yippy, yippy ay.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Barry, thanks for the great sentimental look at Winchester. I will admit that he is an artist that was largely …
- Arlene: Thanks for this article, Barry. It's not often that an artist brings another performer to tears during a guitar pull. …
- Leeann: At any rate, I'll still look forward to his next album, because I'm a fan of his music.
- Leeann: Yes, if he had said that, I'd be with him, but e lumped all of country music, including the Grand …
- mrsandy: My understanding is Emmylou's concert was cancelled was because her 92-y.o. mother passed away.
- Erik North: I would have to say that, even though I agree that JTE does generalize about country music excessively, I also …
- Leeann: I think he generalized way too much, too black and white. He reminded me too much of Ryan Adams, who …