Friday Five: Hank Cochran Songs
On this date in 1935, one of the most influential songwriters in country music was born: Hank Cochran. Some modern day country music fans might only know him because of Jamey Johnson’s Living for a Song: A Tribute to Hank Cochran, but Cochran had incredible influence and impact on the music landscape. What is your favorite song written by “the other great Hank?”
5. Patsy Cline – “I Fall To Pieces”
The amount of incredible people that touched this song is pretty astounding. Harlan Howard and Hank Cochran wrote it, Jan Howard recorded the demo, Brenda Lee and Roy Drusky both considered recording the song before passing on it, Owen Bradley produced it, The Jordanaires sang backup vocals on it and Patsy… well, she’s just Patsy.
4. Eddy Arnold – “Make the World Go Away”
How strong is this song? Ray Price and Eddy Arnold’s versions were hits in 1963 (No. 2) and 1965 (No. 1), respectively.
3. George Strait – “The Chair”
One of the amazing parts of Cochran’s career is the time span over which his songs became charted hits–that’s probably not over yet despite Cochran’s death in 2010.
2. Burl Ives – “A Little Bitty Tear”
This song earned Grammy nominations for Best Country & Western Recording and Best Male Solo Vocal Performance in 1962.
1. Vern Gosdin – “Set ‘em Up Joe”
This late ‘80s hit was a tribute song written for Ernest Tubb.
- Paul W Dennis: This album is next on my must-acquire list. I remember listening to Mac on the WWVA Big Jamboree in the …
- Paul W Dennis: I don't usually agree with Luckyoldsun but he's right - "Girl In A Country Song" reeks. On the other …
- andythedrifter: "It Sure Can Get Cold In Des Moines"
- Donald: LOS, I need to second your mention of Ballad of Forty Dollars.
- Paul W Dennis: Best wishes for Jim Ed Brown - there's very few left from his generation of country singers John Morthland's article on …
- Paul W Dennis: That looks like Harold Morrison playing the dobro behind Jeannie C Riley on "Harper Valley PTA"
- luckyoldsun: Got to go with "The Ballad of Forty Dollars." Funny, if you saw the title and started listening to that song …
- Randy Prewitt: I would have to say my favorite Tom T.Hall song is "The Day Clayton Delaney Died.He has so many great …
- KathyP: "Faster Horses." Which reminds me I need to add it to my digital library.
- Leeann Ward: "Me and Jesus" and "Harper Valley PTA" are my favorites, I think. But I agree with Paul that it's not …