Friday Five: Ham and Egg
This Friday Five is dedicated in honor of our very own editor and the offices of Engine 145 this week. As was mentioned in this Wednesday’s news round-up, a technical difficulty due to a non-cooperating computer has kept us from having some of our regular content the last few days. It’s our hope that next week, we will be back in working order with some exciting interviews and song reviews.
As it was, between smart phones, a little bit of trial by error, social media and good old-fashioned-never-say-die initiative, the team was able to keep you rolling in content for the week. We ham and egged it. That brings us to this week’s Friday Five. We present to you, five songs either about ham or eggs.
5. Johnny Cash – “Dirty Old Egg-Suckin’ Dog”
Imagine if this song came out today instead of 1966. It would be PETA’s worst nightmare with discussions of “stomping his dog’s head into the ground” and sending him off to the chicken coop in the sky with his rifle.
4. Merle Haggard – “Big Butter and Egg Man”
Written in 1926 by Percy Venable and made famous by Louis Armstrong, Haggard recorded his own version on the 1985 album, Kern River. (For Haggard collectors, this album was released again on CD in 2008.)
3. Lonnie Donegan – “Ham N’ Eggs”
This Scotsman cut his teeth on American country western and jazz and then made it big on the British music scene with this 1957 number and many others. He’d eventually settle in Nashville and work with Charlie McCoy and The Jordanaires.
2. Jelly Roll Morton – “Big Fat Ham”
Outside of Dr. Seuss and his green variety, the coolest cat associated with ham just could be Jelly Roll Morton and this sweet little instrumental number.
Steel Magnolia – “Eggs Over Easy”
While this duo sadly broke up just a month or two ago, their little dedication to the most important meal of the day will live on forever.
- Carrie Mclaughlin: Your my Hero Mr. Jim Lauderdale!!! Come to Alaska Please? hehehehe
- Jeremy Dylan: You should check it out Dave D. It's from the first (and strongest) season.
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.
- lindsay thomas: Wife and I saw these guys last Thursday night, (7-24-14) at the Ryman in Nashville. What a show. …
- Donald: I'm guessing that is meant to read 're-release' Detroit to Wheeling, as the double album originally appeared on Pinecastle in …
- Michael A.: Has anyone else had a difficult time trying to get the free download from the Reba site?
- Dave D.: I can't believe that I never saw the Willie Nelson Monk episode - and it was a Sharona episode, as …
- nm: Taylor Swift was on CSI once. Not only was Steve Earle on The Wire, in one episode Omar quoted him about …
- Barry Mazor: It's only a slight stretch to recall when Jimmy Dean met James Bond: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbwDGtj84YY