Friday Five: Goodnight, Irene
With Hurricane Irene all finished up from last week’s tear-up of the East Coast, it seemed only fitting to dedicate a Friday Five in her honor. When everything is all said and done, that little meteorological hussy is going to have caused billions of dollars of damage and lost revenues.
“Goodnight Irene” is a famous folk tune that was originally written by American blues musician Huddie ‘Lead Belly’ Ledbetter way back in 1932. With a famous line of “sometimes I take a great notion to jump in the river and drown,” it seems only appropriate that it be tied to a hurricane known for flooding.
Which cover is your favorite?
5. Johnny Cash- “Goodnight Irene”
4. Boxcar Willie- “Goodnight Irene”
3. Ernest Tubb & Red Foley- “Goodnight Irene”
2. Gene Autry- “Goodnight Irene”
1. Jim Reeves- “Goodnight Irene”
- Michael A.: Has anyone else had a difficult time trying to get the free download from the Reba site?
- Dave D.: I can't believe that I never saw the Willie Nelson Monk episode - and it was a Sharona episode, as …
- nm: Taylor Swift was on CSI once. Not only was Steve Earle on The Wire, in one episode Omar quoted him about …
- Barry Mazor: It's only a slight stretch to recall when Jimmy Dean met James Bond: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbwDGtj84YY
- Arlene: I suspect you'll also be including an episode of L.A. Law....
- luckyoldsun: The Johnny Cash episode was the one Columbo case where you really felt "the b--- had it coming."
- A.B.: Janice - I saw that too and sent him a Tweet about it.
- Janice Brooks: Peter Cooper needs an edit. Stringbean did not die in 1964.
- Leeann: I can't contribute to this list, but I did think of Steve Earle and The Wire. It's not my …
- Jeremy Dylan: That was a great episode of Monk. The "Georgia On My Mind" scene is just heartbreaking.