Friday Five: Ghosts (Part One)
Ghosts. Phantoms. Shadows. Specters. Apparitions. Banshees. Poltergeists. Around Halloween, these fellows seem to be everywhere from the grocery store to the stereo. As we approach Dia de Muertos, let’s pause and celebrate five of our favorite songs that feature these little creatures, and stay tuned for more ghostly installments.
5. Logan Brill – “No Such Thing as Ghosts”
Engine 145 premiered a song from her brand new and outstanding album, Walking Wires, on the first of this month. But it’s this amazing track that has me crushing on her. Don’t tell my wife.
4. Marc Cohn – “Ghost Train”
“Some trains they leave in the morning, some leave in the afternoon. Some trains they leave here right on time, and some they just leave too soon, way too soon,” sings Cohn on his self-titled debut.
3. Alison Krauss & Union Station – “Ghost in this House”
It only seems appropriate that a singer with one of the most ethereal voices known to man would sing about haunting a house as “proof of the damage heartbreak does.”
2. Red Sovine – “Phantom 309”
Big Joe saves our hitchhiking protagonist from a freezing cold night walking along the freeway only to find out that it was a ghostly rig that gave him a ride: ten years earlier, Big Joe gave his life to keep his truck from hitting a bus full of kids. Sniff sniff.
1. Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson – “(Ghost) Riders in the Sky”
Bing Crosby, Gene Autry, Eddy Arnold, Peggy Lee, and dozens more have recorded this track over the years, but this favorite version comes from a VH1 Storytellers episode.
- Jeremy Dylan: One might say that a good way to pay tribute to RCA Studio a would be to not demolish it …
- Both Kinds of Music: What an excellent team-up.
- Pam Wallace: A day like yesterday,...driving through Ohio countryside with leaves beginning to turn and cows lying in the pastures because every …
- Jackie Lester: My favorite part of autumn is seeing wooly bear caterpillars!
- Mike harris: Love fall with the warm glow of the sun and all the beautiful fall colors
- Richrd Simerson: Love good old bluegrass music
- Six String Richie: Studio A will be replaced with a dog park, condos and restaurants. Gentrification at it's finest.
- Denise Vernon: Full moon with smell of leaves burning.
- Lisa Phillips: Love the Radio Ramblers! My favorite thing about fall is everything pumpkin.....coffee, cookies, muffins, pie.....etc!
- Sabrina Parnell: Def the cooler temps, football, great food , holidays on the way ,and of course more good country music releases.