Friday Five: Ghosts (Part One)
Ghosts. Phantoms. Shadows. Specters. Apparitions. Banshees. Poltergeists. Around Halloween, these fellows seem to be everywhere from the grocery store to the stereo. As we approach Dia de Muertos, let’s pause and celebrate five of our favorite songs that feature these little creatures, and stay tuned for more ghostly installments.
5. Logan Brill – “No Such Thing as Ghosts”
Engine 145 premiered a song from her brand new and outstanding album, Walking Wires, on the first of this month. But it’s this amazing track that has me crushing on her. Don’t tell my wife.
4. Marc Cohn – “Ghost Train”
“Some trains they leave in the morning, some leave in the afternoon. Some trains they leave here right on time, and some they just leave too soon, way too soon,” sings Cohn on his self-titled debut.
3. Alison Krauss & Union Station – “Ghost in this House”
It only seems appropriate that a singer with one of the most ethereal voices known to man would sing about haunting a house as “proof of the damage heartbreak does.”
2. Red Sovine – “Phantom 309”
Big Joe saves our hitchhiking protagonist from a freezing cold night walking along the freeway only to find out that it was a ghostly rig that gave him a ride: ten years earlier, Big Joe gave his life to keep his truck from hitting a bus full of kids. Sniff sniff.
1. Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson – “(Ghost) Riders in the Sky”
Bing Crosby, Gene Autry, Eddy Arnold, Peggy Lee, and dozens more have recorded this track over the years, but this favorite version comes from a VH1 Storytellers episode.
- Six String Richie: That Parks & Rec. clip was perfection! Everybody reading this blog should watch it even if they don't watch the …
- Ben Foster: I'm coveting Dolly Parton's "Blue Smoke" 45.
- Barry Mazor: Speculation is free!
- Jack: Taste of Country has a pretty shallow point of view, and this little blurb is exhibit A.
- Leeann Ward: It is admittedly fun to speculate about these things.
- luckyoldsun: I wonder if the key to learning Gong Kwon Yu Sul is to be higher than a kite. lol
- luckyoldsun: Barry, I didn't say or imply that I have superior knowledge about the nominating process or workings--I'm just willing to make …
- CraigR.: After watching Easton Corbin's video I am left wondering where the man who made " I'm A Little Bit More …
- Barry Mazor: Well, gee, Taste of Country that sure clears that up. The argument's over--and it only took 200 words. …
- Barry Mazor: Inductions in all categories, by the rules, are one at a time--unless there's a dead-on tie, as happened once or …