Friday Five: Getting Married
Our own Karlie recently got engaged, so we thought we’d whip up a Friday Five in honor of the happy couple and their impending nuptials. Also, we’re too cheap to buy an actual wedding present. Best wishes to Karlie and Ben; may you have a lifetime of love, happiness, and pedal steel.
This sweet little tune recorded for McBride’s Eleven album was originally done by Monahan’s pop band, Train. McBride’s understated performance is just lovely as she sings “Forever can never be long enough for me/To feel like I’ve had long enough with you.” –Ken Morton, Jr.
Broke and broken down on the side of a desert highway en route to Vegas, this honky tonk couple is certain that “Life is a gamble, but our love’s a sure bet.” It’s a fine sentiment even for those who aren’t planning to be married by a jumpsuit-clad Elvis impersonator. –Juli Thanki
Charlie was making light of this slightly less-than-fairytale wedding, but he did have one thing right. Forget the stuffy, expensive wedding reception that everyone is going to fuss and fret over, and just hire the local BBQ joint to cater hot dogs and brisket. That’s how to get a marriage off to a noteworthy start. –Sam Gazdziak
Parton’s spirited delivery of this song from Little Sparrow perfectly captures the effervescence of young love, right down to the sky’s-the-limit dreams of fancy cars and houses. –JT
1. Clay Walker – “Rumor Has It”
It seems only fitting that Karlie, one of the great champions of ’90s hat acts in all their starched-shirt-and-mom-jeans-wearing glory, should find herself living out one of Clay Walker’s giddiest hits. Here’s wishing this woman and this man a lifetime full of living, laughing, loving, and dreaming with their eyes wide open. –CM Wilcox
- Carrie Mclaughlin: Your my Hero Mr. Jim Lauderdale!!! Come to Alaska Please? hehehehe
- Jeremy Dylan: You should check it out Dave D. It's from the first (and strongest) season.
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.
- lindsay thomas: Wife and I saw these guys last Thursday night, (7-24-14) at the Ryman in Nashville. What a show. …
- Donald: I'm guessing that is meant to read 're-release' Detroit to Wheeling, as the double album originally appeared on Pinecastle in …
- Michael A.: Has anyone else had a difficult time trying to get the free download from the Reba site?
- Dave D.: I can't believe that I never saw the Willie Nelson Monk episode - and it was a Sharona episode, as …
- nm: Taylor Swift was on CSI once. Not only was Steve Earle on The Wire, in one episode Omar quoted him about …
- Barry Mazor: It's only a slight stretch to recall when Jimmy Dean met James Bond: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbwDGtj84YY