Friday Five: Getting Married
Our own Karlie recently got engaged, so we thought we’d whip up a Friday Five in honor of the happy couple and their impending nuptials. Also, we’re too cheap to buy an actual wedding present. Best wishes to Karlie and Ben; may you have a lifetime of love, happiness, and pedal steel.
This sweet little tune recorded for McBride’s Eleven album was originally done by Monahan’s pop band, Train. McBride’s understated performance is just lovely as she sings “Forever can never be long enough for me/To feel like I’ve had long enough with you.” –Ken Morton, Jr.
Broke and broken down on the side of a desert highway en route to Vegas, this honky tonk couple is certain that “Life is a gamble, but our love’s a sure bet.” It’s a fine sentiment even for those who aren’t planning to be married by a jumpsuit-clad Elvis impersonator. –Juli Thanki
Charlie was making light of this slightly less-than-fairytale wedding, but he did have one thing right. Forget the stuffy, expensive wedding reception that everyone is going to fuss and fret over, and just hire the local BBQ joint to cater hot dogs and brisket. That’s how to get a marriage off to a noteworthy start. –Sam Gazdziak
Parton’s spirited delivery of this song from Little Sparrow perfectly captures the effervescence of young love, right down to the sky’s-the-limit dreams of fancy cars and houses. –JT
1. Clay Walker – “Rumor Has It”
It seems only fitting that Karlie, one of the great champions of ’90s hat acts in all their starched-shirt-and-mom-jeans-wearing glory, should find herself living out one of Clay Walker’s giddiest hits. Here’s wishing this woman and this man a lifetime full of living, laughing, loving, and dreaming with their eyes wide open. –CM Wilcox
- Jack: The Everly Brothers "Song Our Daddy Taught Us" and "Roots" LPs look good.
- Juli Thanki: Indeed, Richie. Leslie Knope is my spirit animal.
- Six String Richie: That Parks & Rec. clip was perfection! Everybody reading this blog should watch it even if they don't watch the …
- Ben Foster: I'm coveting Dolly Parton's "Blue Smoke" 45.
- Barry Mazor: Speculation is free!
- Jack: Taste of Country has a pretty shallow point of view, and this little blurb is exhibit A.
- Leeann Ward: It is admittedly fun to speculate about these things.
- luckyoldsun: I wonder if the key to learning Gong Kwon Yu Sul is to be higher than a kite. lol
- luckyoldsun: Barry, I didn't say or imply that I have superior knowledge about the nominating process or workings--I'm just willing to make …
- CraigR.: After watching Easton Corbin's video I am left wondering where the man who made " I'm A Little Bit More …