Friday Five: “Folsom Prison Blues”
On this day back in 1968, Johnny Cash reignited his career by doing a live recording of two shows at Folsom State Prison. Cash’s career had nearly flamed out with drug abuse problems. His song, “Folsom Prison Blues,” was 13 years old at the time of the concert and was the inspiration for the album recording in the first place. Already popular, that song became one of Cash’s signature songs. It would go on to be recorded by numerous different artists from Waylon Jennings to Everlast. And that brings us to today’s Friday Five: a playlist of all things “Folsom Prison Blues.”
5. Brooks and Dunn – “Folsom Prison Blues”
Brooks & Dunn covered the song on the 1994 album Red Hot + Country and brought an old familiar voice in at the end for a recitation.
4. Ernest Tubb – “Folsom Prison Blues”
Ernest Tubb covered the song on his 1969 album Saturday Satan Sunday Saint.
3. Merle Haggard – “Folsom Prison Blues”
Merle Haggard recorded the song on his 1968 Album Mama Tried. As a young man, the Hag saw Cash perform while he was in prison back in 1959.
2. Lester Flatt – “Folsom Prison Blues”
The dobro certainly adds a different touch to the classic. Lester and Earl Scruggs covered the song on their Nashville Airplane LP in 1968, and Flatt recorded his version of the song in ’71.
1. Bob Dylan – “Folsom Prison Blues”
Dylan performed the song first in 1967 and during the Nashville Skyline sessions in May 1969 but it has never been released commercially.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.